Couch sitters to look at

Started by TecnoGenius, June 15, 2024, 09:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 17, 2024, 08:16:49 PMThere is precedent right in front of our faces: Denmark.  We Jeffcoat'd him in FA and then brought him back to save our butt partway into the season.  Don't remember the reason, but that would be exactly what we'd do with Jeffcoat.

I think Jeffcoat was staying in shape waiting for calls until his "retirement" announcement.  So IMHO he's likely still in shape.

The only possible difference might be Denmark had a better attitude and parting than Jeffcoat did.  But Jeffcoat might be able to get over it if we offer him his ask $ and say we're sorry "just business".  That said, I've shifted my mindset now to focus on the O and any over-ELC $ we spend should be on the O side (5th R and OL).

It does not take long to fall out of game shape.  First thing the big guys do is try to drop weight.  Putting it back on properly is not quick or easy.

I have no doubt that Walters has made the call to him to gauge his interest.  Skipping training camp is not always a bad thing, especially for the big guys. I remember when Obby got the call from Calgary, he was tickled that he hadn't had to go through TC but still got to cash full game cheques...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 16, 2024, 12:03:00 AMWouldn't Masoli qualify?  He's signed and clearly not going to play for months.  Also, keep in mind there are probably at least a few "fake" 6GIR guys on unscrupulous teams.

Yes. Today their IR shows 4 players on their 6 game IR. I just added up what showed on CFL.CA yesterday and it's never accurate or up to day. Quite a few new players were injured over the weekend that may add to that total. Perhaps a few 1 game IR come off this week?

Either way, it's a big list. I don't know why teams would put players on 6 game IR. They can't practice so I'd have to think those are legit. Perhaps a few might come off early but then teams don't save any SMS.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 17, 2024, 08:16:49 PMThere is precedent right in front of our faces: Denmark.  We Jeffcoat'd him in FA and then brought him back to save our butt partway into the season.  Don't remember the reason, but that would be exactly what we'd do with Jeffcoat.

I think Jeffcoat was staying in shape waiting for calls until his "retirement" announcement.  So IMHO he's likely still in shape.

The only possible difference might be Denmark had a better attitude and parting than Jeffcoat did.  But Jeffcoat might be able to get over it if we offer him his ask $ and say we're sorry "just business".  That said, I've shifted my mindset now to focus on the O and any over-ELC $ we spend should be on the O side (5th R and OL).
A good comparison but Denny didn't have the injury trouble Jeffcoat did.

As many know Denny is my guy, very happy you brought him up.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on June 17, 2024, 08:53:17 PMRose got hurt right away in Ottawa, figure anyone coming that has not been working out all winter is at risk of the same (Jeffcoat).

Yes, true.  However, if you don't give them any signing bonus at all, you have absolutely nothing to lose by signing these vets.  If they drop like flies you rinse & repeat.  You can do that ad inifinitum with no SMS hit if they all head to the 6GIR.

I still think a FA/PR vet can help us right now better than a 4th-stringer.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

As of this moment, more than half the week 3 pickems are for BC.  I can't recall the last time I saw that.  Even with the homer blue goggles we have half the members with major reservations about our team, at home.  Holy smokes.

And against a 1-1 BC team that hasn't looked nearly as good as 2023.

Moves need to be made.  Something needs to be done.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 18, 2024, 07:44:18 AMAs of this moment, more than half the week 3 pickems are for BC.  I can't recall the last time I saw that.  Even with the homer blue goggles we have half the members with major reservations about our team, at home.  Holy smokes.

I suggest we move you to the retirement list until you acquire a little more positive energy. Maybe an ice bath.

I'm all for " doing something " and I'm sure the organization is looking at options. We brought back some TC cuts that were injured earlier. I won't be surprised to see some additional signings to the PR this week.

Aside from that IMO it's falls on coaching and game strategy to be modified.  There isn't a large pool of talent that can come in immediately and help the team.

Injuries have continued being a problem since late last year.  Most are not even to the older veterans.

I see some transactions on CFL.CA with Hubert and Samson. Whether that will hold for game day, IDK. It's not like that will change much. Fayad, Woods and Smith could all be possible changes this week. Mostly forced changes due to injury so we'll see if they play well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 18, 2024, 12:58:27 PMI suggest we move you to the retirement list until you acquire a little more positive energy. Maybe an ice bath.

All the outrage of the 29 year Grey Cup drought after an 0-2 start. It's a little tiresome.

Waffler

I don't blame Tecno for his passion, he wants to win. The question is how to salvage the season. I think he's a believer in that and is looking for ways under every rock. Our days of domination appear to be over but we can still have a hot playoff, provided we get there and that starts with a win Friday. I hate the "must win" in June but I almost think it is.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Waffler on June 18, 2024, 01:57:03 PMI don't blame Tecno for his passion, he wants to win. The question is how to salvage the season. I think he's a believer in that and is looking for ways under every rock. Our days of domination appear to be over but we can still have a hot playoff, provided we get there and that starts with a win Friday. I hate the "must win" in June but I almost think it is.

But the reality is we didn't become dominant by over reacting to every loss and making a ton of changes every week. Flaming out and signing 26 free agents might feel like we're doing something but it wouldn't be the right something.

We have a well run organization with good leaders and we'll be okay over the medium term. Just need to take some deep breaths and be okay with stillness sometimes.

ModAdmin

The organization certainly has not fallen off the cliff as some would have us believe.  Nor does 2 games indicate a trend when there have been the number of changes this team encountered in the past off season.

Two games into an 18 game season and some (emphasis on 'some') people are literally ready to throw in the towel. Come on!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 18, 2024, 07:44:18 AMAs of this moment, more than half the week 3 pickems are for BC.  I can't recall the last time I saw that.  Even with the homer blue goggles we have half the members with major reservations about our team, at home.  Holy smokes.

Its great that I can catch up in the standing sticking with my Bombers...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ichabod_crane

I don't see the D being a major issue so far. We are virtually tied in points given up with all other western teams after 2 games. It's our offence that is faltering and that was supposed to be our strongest area coming into the season. Injuries not helping, but either Zach still rusty or something else going on. Certainly timing has been very bad the first two games. The gamble to save players from injury in the pre-season is hurting the team now not getting live game timing + they are getting knicked up anyway....so that gamble has not paid off so far.

Jesse

Quote from: ichabod_crane on June 18, 2024, 08:14:50 PMI don't see the D being a major issue so far. We are virtually tied in points given up with all other western teams after 2 games. It's our offence that is faltering and that was supposed to be our strongest area coming into the season. Injuries not helping, but either Zach still rusty or something else going on. Certainly timing has been very bad the first two games. The gamble to save players from injury in the pre-season is hurting the team now not getting live game timing + they are getting knicked up anyway....so that gamble has not paid off so far.

Yup. Injuries aside, I'm not worries about our D.

If our our would maintain some drives and score some points, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

That said, I still hate how we roster so few DL. It's completely nonsensical.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on June 18, 2024, 08:45:13 PMYup. Injuries aside, I'm not worries about our D.

If our our would maintain some drives and score some points, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

That said, I still hate how we roster so few DL. It's completely nonsensical.

I agree, I would like to see an extra DL. Hubert, Fayad, are both DEs, Woods and Samson are DTs. The Canadian kid Hubert 6'4" 263, has the height and the motor, spends a lot of time with WJ5 at practice. The kid might be ready for his first start. Fayad seems to have some quickness, but is he in game shape. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 18, 2024, 12:58:27 PMAside from that IMO it's falls on coaching and game strategy to be modified.  There isn't a large pool of talent that can come in immediately and help the team.

Injuries have continued being a problem since late last year.  Most are not even to the older veterans.

But there is a large enough pool of talent to bring in immediate relief.  All you posters always surprise me with all of the options when someone mentions a position.  Just look at the list of quality mid-level DL available right this second!

Who here wouldn't be excited as all heck to hear we signed Kongbo?!  Dude even knows the WPG D scheme already!  Those saying we keep going down the list of TC cuts instead... you seriously want that 5th stringer instead of Kongbo??

And like someone else mentioned, signings are occurring every week in many other teams.  They aren't content with their 2nd stringers, so why are we with our 4th?

And it doesn't matter if the injuries are to the vets or the rookies/sophomores: the only thing that matters is the injuries are to our starters.  We are losing the guys we wanted to start -- the guys we thought were the best on our roster at the moment.  It's a non sequitur the vet (or not) status of the injured players.  If anything, it's worse to lose the non-vet starters to injury because then we are forced to walk down the TC-cut list.  At least when a vet is injured we can bring in our 2nd best player...
Never go full Rider!