Couch sitters to look at

Started by TecnoGenius, June 15, 2024, 09:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on June 15, 2024, 07:36:32 PMThis is a poor reflection on the scouts.
They didn't bring anyone in who impressed.

That's the part that really bugs me.  And the other elephant in the room is quite evident that Collaros has lost even more off his arm from last year.  Since we got him, he's lost at least five if not more yards on the deep ball

Scouts: so far it's clear we didn't find an Alford/Schoen this year (or last).  So ya, disappointing, especially after seeing how well MTL has scouted for 2 seasons in a row.

Zach: I won't make a claim on arm strength just yet.  He did have the huge bomb to Demski.  However, his hail Mary could only go 50Y, and our R's were waiting around 55-60Y away.  BUT, that may have been a function of the rain.

To me it still feels more like a dialing in issue, the proof being that he overthrows as much as underthrows.  Kind of like BLM's troubles, but much less exaggerated and dire.  I'm sure Zach has plenty of arm life left.  It's literally one of the least of my worries.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 15, 2024, 04:49:53 PMWe aren't bringing back Jeffcoat or Stove. High SMS and long injury history. I suspect finished with football.

OTOH Walker is still technically a free agent but he may be looking at his post football career. Although he's a young guy that doesn't mean he has interest in continuing to play.

He's about the only veteran starter quality that comes to mind.

Stove retired and is finished. He blew out something so royally he can never play again if I recall correctly.

Jesse

Quote from: ichabod_crane on June 16, 2024, 06:48:57 AMStove retired and is finished. He blew out something so royally he can never play again if I recall correctly.

Like, three seasons in a row he blew something royally without ever playing a snap.

Geeze, I loved the guy but I have no idea why his name is brought up so much. He has been put on this pedestal because he was never able to play after he left the team. It's turned into something bigger than he was.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

I wonder if there is any consideration bringing back Jeffcoat, even if it's for only a few games? That isn't something teams usually do but nothing says it can't be done. Short term rental per se.

We don't really know long Haba and Garbutt will be out. In theory it could be anything from another week to season ending.

Fayad might be a great addition, but he's the next, next, next man up after players looking to replace Jeffcoat.

IMO Oakman is not an option.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 17, 2024, 02:26:16 PMI wonder if there is any consideration bringing back Jeffcoat, even if it's for only a few games? That isn't something teams usually do but nothing says it can't be done. Short term rental per se.

We don't really know long Haba and Garbutt will be out. In theory it could be anything from another week to season ending.

Fayad might be a great addition, but he's the next, next, next man up after players looking to replace Jeffcoat.

IMO Oakman is not an option.

I don't think that Jeffcoat:

A: has kept in game shape

or

B: has any interest in playing for a team that "snubbed" him.

Now, if the team reached ou to him with an olive branch and asked him how long it would take to get into game shape, and that they'd be interested in him returning for the stretch run, relaxed and healed up, with a sweet paycheck for limited games, I can see both sides looking favourably at that. 

IF he still has the desire/passion to play.  IF he hasn't moved on to post football career that a return to the CFL would disrupt.

Always loved what the Jeff's brought to the game, it would be sweet to have him as an option even if Haba is back.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

I don't know if players not being re-signed look at it as being snubbed. It's business so age, injuries, SMS and positional needs all factor into every decision.

Whether he is in game shape or is now injury free are valid questions. OTOH, Fayad missed most of TC and may not be in game shape either. Obviously he's younger but he's also less experienced.

What experience that Jeffcoat has between his ears is worthwhile. We've got a bunch of rookies playing and his leadership alone would be valuable.

No other team has signed him and I'm not sure if we even made him an offer. So I think he's moved on. I'd make the all though just to see what his thoughts are at the moment.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 17, 2024, 04:11:12 PMI don't know if players not being re-signed look at it as being snubbed. It's business so age, injuries, SMS and positional needs all factor into every decision.

Whether he is in game shape or is now injury free are valid questions. OTOH, Fayad missed most of TC and may not be in game shape either. Obviously he's younger but he's also less experienced.

What experience that Jeffcoat has between his ears is worthwhile. We've got a bunch of rookies playing and his leadership alone would be valuable.

No other team has signed him and I'm not sure if we even made him an offer. So I think he's moved on. I'd make the all though just to see what his thoughts are at the moment.

Any player "passed over" in FA feels snubbed, I have no doubt.  Whether it is Andrew Harris, Jeffcoat or even Bailey, there is no doubt a short term animosity, even if their logical mind understand, the emotional mind is hurt.  IIRC there were some fairly strained communications when Jeffcoat wasn't brought back.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/not-mad-but-at-peace-bombers-jeffcoat-calls-it-a-career

"After hearing almost nothing from the Bombers this off-season, Jeffcoat on Friday told me he's retiring from football, at age 33.

The range of emotions evident through our 20-minute conversation included surprise, disappointment, feeling disrespected, resignation and, finally, a sense of contentment and peace.

"I'm not mad," he said. "Because I have opportunities that don't involve beating my body up and getting paid for cheap, for lack of a better term. I'm pretty at peace.""

Hence the suggestion of an olive branch of some sort.  But it sounds like he has his post football life started.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blueforlife

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 17, 2024, 04:29:31 PMHard pass on Jeffcoat

Fair enough. I don't think any of us would have thought we'd lose Garbutt and Haba all before we finished the 2nd game.

They did have high hopes with Fayad, but he did miss most of TC. I expect he'll play but not sure if he is forced into starting or just a rotational guy.

I wonder long the other 2 will be unavailable ( more or less than 6 games ). At the very least we should be looking at others for the PR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Is this a time for PR shopping?  Do other teams have good AR DE/DT depth with a solid guy on the PR looking for a chance?

Are there any DE/DT's out there that refused PR spots, waiting for an opportunity like this?  Are they on planes heading here / already here?

Now that the UFL season is over, any chance of recruiting those players?  I don't think there are any reciprocal agreements between the leagues...

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on June 17, 2024, 04:47:14 PMIs this a time for PR shopping?  Do other teams have good AR DE/DT depth with a solid guy on the PR looking for a chance?

Are there any DE/DT's out there that refused PR spots, waiting for an opportunity like this?  Are they on planes heading here / already here?

Now that the UFL season is over, any chance of recruiting those players?  I don't think there are any reciprocal agreements between the leagues...

It's another catch 22. Players on other teams PR's are mostly rookies and if we try to snag one it means we have to activate him.  We may very little scouting on any of them if they didn't see much pre season reps. Rough count of 13 DL on other teams PR.

There may be some that refused PR spots but that's what we'd be offering as well.

As far as I know the UFL doesn't have a deal with the CFl which would allow teams signing those players.

I mentioned a couple of our other TC cuts in Rivers and Upshaw. I don't know if they were found wanting or whether there was no PR room for them.  I suppose that a couple of players could be facing out right release but probably not yet.

Regardless there are always others on neg lists or scouting lists.

Until this weeks' roster actually gets declared, it's not clear whether we have room on the PR to add players.

Fayad, Smith and Woods might all get added but if that happens are players heading to IR or PR?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on June 17, 2024, 04:23:38 PMAny player "passed over" in FA feels snubbed, I have no doubt.  Whether it is Andrew Harris, Jeffcoat or even Bailey, there is no doubt a short term animosity, even if their logical mind understand, the emotional mind is hurt.  IIRC there were some fairly strained communications when Jeffcoat wasn't brought back.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/not-mad-but-at-peace-bombers-jeffcoat-calls-it-a-career

"After hearing almost nothing from the Bombers this off-season, Jeffcoat on Friday told me he's retiring from football, at age 33.

The range of emotions evident through our 20-minute conversation included surprise, disappointment, feeling disrespected, resignation and, finally, a sense of contentment and peace.

"I'm not mad," he said. "Because I have opportunities that don't involve beating my body up and getting paid for cheap, for lack of a better term. I'm pretty at peace.""

Hence the suggestion of an olive branch of some sort.  But it sounds like he has his post football life started.

I fear dumping Jeffcoat will hasten the demise of Willie, he has not impressed so far this season and may be a season or two away from the end of the line. A bookend doesn't function well without it's mate.

As for available DE's no objection to Rivers or Upshaw returning but I would give Cedric Wilcots a call as the ex-Bomber was recently cut by the Ti-Cats.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 17, 2024, 02:26:16 PMI wonder if there is any consideration bringing back Jeffcoat, even if it's for only a few games? That isn't something teams usually do but nothing says it can't be done. Short term rental per se.

There is precedent right in front of our faces: Denmark.  We Jeffcoat'd him in FA and then brought him back to save our butt partway into the season.  Don't remember the reason, but that would be exactly what we'd do with Jeffcoat.

I think Jeffcoat was staying in shape waiting for calls until his "retirement" announcement.  So IMHO he's likely still in shape.

The only possible difference might be Denmark had a better attitude and parting than Jeffcoat did.  But Jeffcoat might be able to get over it if we offer him his ask $ and say we're sorry "just business".  That said, I've shifted my mindset now to focus on the O and any over-ELC $ we spend should be on the O side (5th R and OL).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on June 17, 2024, 04:47:14 PMIs this a time for PR shopping?  Do other teams have good AR DE/DT depth with a solid guy on the PR looking for a chance?

Great idea!  It's not just the couch sitters -- it's also the bench warmers that we can look at.

I'd start by looking at the PRs of teams that have a surfeit of whatever position we want to focus on (e.g. DE).  2nd/3rd year guys who have decent names sometimes do get pushed to PR when a team has just way too many at that position (like DLs in HAM).
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Rose got hurt right away in Ottawa, figure anyone coming that has not been working out all winter is at risk of the same (Jeffcoat).

As far as the PRs of other teams, a trade perhaps? Teams always prefer a draft pick than eventually cutting a guy and getting nothing.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers