Couch sitters to look at

Started by TecnoGenius, June 15, 2024, 09:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Lots of FA players never signed, or already-cut, and lots of newly-retired or force-retired guys too.  All of them are options to bring in to fill our now-gaping holes.

Units of ours that have been decimated and may be in need of outside players:

DB (down our 2 best DBs and a spare)
DL (down or 2nd best DE, and best DT, and backup DT)

Positions we may possibly need someone at:

WR (down league's top paid WR)
RB (down league's 2nd best player, but probably only short term)

Let's start listing options for each unit, help out our GM, and make some guesses as to what we'll do.

One guess I can make at the moment is we're going to sign somebody, and I don't just mean TC cuts.  We have enough holes now that we should have enough SMS to at least pick up a aging vet or middling late-cut guy.

I'll start: What's Jeffcoat & Stove doing?  Ellingson's body still serviceable?  Mohammad (from CGY) still available...

Mega bummer that M.Sayles and J.Grant just got picked up this month.

DL names were being thrown around in another thread: Kongbo, Bennet.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

I'm short on ideas but don't like the names you have suggested.  I like the idea of brainstorming a list.  Sorry I can't contribute.

My only concern is DL and maybe DB.

Receivers we are fine, OL should work out the kinks.  RB be fine.

I am willing to wait to develop our returner

Brining in new faces is based on length of our injuries. 

Sir Blue and Gold

We're not going to do a massive airlift.

Depending on the severity of a few injuries maybe we get a bit of help but otherwise we should use our practice roster and anyone else our scouts like that want to come for a look.

My hunch is we were always going to run a little lean this year to be aggressive for the home Grey Cup next year. They probably didn't expect to be 0-2 but we can be 7-11 and probably make the playoffs. The fun thing about the CFL is teams with losing records are usually in it until the very end and they sometimes win it all.

This off season we use some saved money to be much more aggressive in free agency. One middling season (if that's the outcome) doesn't change what's been built over a decade and players will choose Winnipeg over a lot of other options. We've got a ton of talent still we just need a mindset shift and some new pieces. They'll be available in the winter.

I said this before that it's a bit of a reload year I think it's just more obvious than the Bombers has hoped.

Blue In BC

I'm thinking we bring back some our players cut after TC. Just to fill players lost to IR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Horseman

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 15, 2024, 01:45:28 PMI'm thinking we bring back some our players cut after TC. Just to fill players lost to IR.

And that is just what they did signing DL Fayad and RB/KR Chris Smith today June 15th.

Blue In BC

We aren't bringing back Jeffcoat or Stove. High SMS and long injury history. I suspect finished with football.

OTOH Walker is still technically a free agent but he may be looking at his post football career. Although he's a young guy that doesn't mean he has interest in continuing to play.

He's about the only veteran starter quality that comes to mind.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 15, 2024, 04:49:53 PMWe aren't bringing back Jeffcoat or Stove. High SMS and long injury history. I suspect finished with football.

OTOH Walker is still technically a free agent but he may be looking at his post football career. Although he's a young guy that doesn't mean he has interest in continuing to play.

He's about the only veteran starter quality that comes to mind.

It is odd that Walker walked away after agreeing to a deal with CGY.  Have to wonder if he is taking calls at this time to come "home"...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Currently there are 47 players listed on teams 6 game IR and 32 on 1 game IR. Might be more headed there by the end of week 2. Oddly the Redblacks are the only team with nobody on either IR list.

Other teams have already signed TC cuts or veterans released after TC. Cupboards are bare.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Road Griller

DM83

This is a poor reflection on the scouts.
They didn't bring anyone in who impressed.
I see rot at the base of other "starters"
They need replacements also, although we will be forced to watch them take play after play off this Friday.

That's the part that really bugs me.  And the other elephant in the room is quite evident that Collaros has lost even more off his arm from last year.  Since we got him, he's lost at least five if not more yards on the deep ball

Willie our defensive end is playing like he wants to be not targeted.  Well the last game effort  should get him not double teamed.  He simply is not putting forth an effort that is needed from one of the higher paid guys.

Third would be neufeld.  Where did he. Go that one play?  I am traumatized!
Fourth, whoever is the left guard simply can't play at the CFL level.  He or they are no better than Grey. Grey at least went after the DBs, at the third level. I am not an O lineman by past experience. However a recent technique I saw but don't like, was to block the guy in front of themselves and let the back find a hole.  I am sure Brey could do that.

Defensive line has Jake and that's it.  I suspect their lack of pressure severely affects the secondary.  Our Dbs Have looked like soft yogurt.  The DE we had last year in Jeffcoat spot, the. Number one draft choice is not the answer.  Scouts blew that # 1 pick. Yes Hana looked good, but now with the injury is out and the DE positions are in need of a fix.

Admit it no one made a play in the secondary.  Close but not enough.
As a coach I liked to bring the blitz.  If ever an explanation for what I would encourage is a zone blitz, like. The Chicago bears used back in the mid eighties.  It seems like many teams use a form of it.  When I employed it, we brought the OLBs unless a back leaked out... sort of a man match up under and a zone over top.  I don't know if. Or how many teams use a form of it, but I think we have,used a form of it, and it works.  Our defense hasn't given up too many home run plays, but when given an opportunity to make a tackle we have to ensure wrapping up.

Lastly, as many previous posters have noted, I have come to notice we don't have a receiver who can go downtown. Of course,  that may be moot, because we don't have a QB who can throw that far.

So, that's why I am so disappointed.
I don't see it being solved by "staying the course". Of course the club wants to keep the "band together" and all will work out.  But not when you see high paid guys taking plays off.

Prove me wrong!

Blueforlife

Quote from: DM83 on June 15, 2024, 07:36:32 PMThis is a poor reflection on the scouts.
They need replacements also, although we will be forced to watch them take play after play off this Friday.

That's the part that really bugs me.  And the other elephant in the room is quite evident that Collaros has lost even more off his arm from last year.  Since we got him, he's lost at least five if not more yards on the deep ball

Willie our defensive end is playing like he wants to be not targeted.  Well the last game effort  should get him not double teamed.  He simply is not putting forth an effort that is needed from one of the higher paid guys.

Fourth, whoever is the left guard simply can't play at the CFL level.  He or they are no better than Grey. Grey at least went after the DBs, at the third level. I am not an O lineman by past experience. However a recent technique I saw but don't like, was to block the guy in front of themselves and let the back find a hole.  I am sure Brey could do that.

Defensive line has Jake and that's it.  I suspect their lack of pressure severely affects the secondary.  Our Dbs Have looked like soft yogurt.  The DE we had last year in Jeffcoat spot, the. Number one draft choice is not the answer.  Scouts blew that # 1 pick. Yes Hana looked good, but now with the injury is out and the DE positions are in need of a fix.

As a coach I liked to bring the blitz.  If ever an explanation for what I would encourage is a zone blitz, like. The Chicago bears used back in the mid eighties.  It seems like many teams use a form of it.  When I employed it, we brought the OLBs unless a back leaked out... sort of a man match up under and a zone over top.  I don't know if. Or how many teams use a form of it, but I think we have,used a form of it, and it works.  Our defense hasn't given up too many home run plays, but when given an opportunity to make a tackle we have to ensure wrapping up.

Lastly, as many previous posters have noted, I have come to notice we don't have a receiver who can go downtown. Of course,  that may be moot, because we don't have a QB who can throw that far.

I don't see it being solved by "staying the course". Of course the club wants to keep the "band together" and all will work out.  But not when you see high paid guys taking plays off.

Prove me wrong!
Seen this story before, got the t-shirt.  You were one of a small group pre dynasty that couldn't see the forest through the trees then and you still can't.  Many wanted change back then in coaches, management and players and then we got 2 cups and a mini dynasty.

There is not rot in the starters, some are hurt.  Our core of vets are excellent.

It's too early to write off the talent that the club brought in this season.  Scouting has been a strength for this club for a long time.

Zach's arm is fine.  He is a top QB, end of.  Has looked bad in two games yes.

Willie and Neufeld are fine.  Take em out and you will see how much we miss them.

DL isn't as bad and your suggest, we are hurt.  Until healthy, yes a concern.

DBs are mix of young players, vets and injured.  Some concern there.

Deep breath, patience paid off before and will again.  We will take our licks as we gel, heal and find a few more bodies.

Let's watch a handful of game before we panic.  Disappointed yes, worried not yet. 

jdrattops

Quote from: DM83 on June 15, 2024, 07:36:32 PMThis is a poor reflection on the scouts.

Prove me wrong!

Thanks coach. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 15, 2024, 01:11:41 PMThis off season we use some saved money to be much more aggressive in free agency. One middling season (if that's the outcome) doesn't change what's been built over a decade and players will choose Winnipeg over a lot of other options. We've got a ton of talent still we just need a mindset shift and some new pieces. They'll be available in the winter.

Just like we've lost the "you can't beat us" mystique, I think we're losing the "choose Winnipeg for less money" aura.  We're losing players to FA and retirement for maybe $20k-$40k difference in bid/ask.  That didn't used to happen.

I think we're also making players feel unvalued and unwanted when we let them slide into FA (think Jeffcoat, Grant).  Why not tell them "we just can't afford you but we'll leave an offer on the table and ya it's lowball but if other teams only offer you $20k more, come on back here we still love you and we're your best option".

I think we're leaving a sour taste in their mouths and so we get the Grant situation where they probably paid him $20k over what we could have scrounged up and he took it because we burned the bridge.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 15, 2024, 01:45:28 PMI'm thinking we bring back some our players cut after TC. Just to fill players lost to IR.

Ya, but we're rapidly churning through so many players we'll start to run out of remotely-decent quality TC attendees!  :o
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 15, 2024, 06:51:36 PMCurrently there are 47 players listed on teams 6 game IR and 32 on 1 game IR. Might be more headed there by the end of week 2. Oddly the Redblacks are the only team with nobody on either IR list.

Wouldn't Masoli qualify?  He's signed and clearly not going to play for months.  Also, keep in mind there are probably at least a few "fake" 6GIR guys on unscrupulous teams.
Never go full Rider!