Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Ottawa - June 13, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 12, 2024, 05:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Griller

Quote from: theaardvark on June 13, 2024, 04:56:31 PMNew ST coach needs to find his lane.  Miller was thee GOAT on the field, coaching is different by a long shot.  His development in that is going to be something we need patience with. 

Sheahan has improved his conventional spiral kicking, and will mix that in with his 25 Aussie kicks.  Its going to take a bit of live fire reps to get everything ironed out.

MOS is also available should Miller need some assistance, but I don't think MOS would wade in all that quick, he seems to give his coaches a lot of leash.

Special teams have been an issue since Medlock left.  He was the straw that stirred the drink.  Covered many issues.  The return game without Grant is non existent.   MOS has lost the handle.

The Aussie gimmick is just that, he is not a rookie, took and illegal punt penalty and one was for a net of around 10 or less.  Need to be able to boom it when needed.

I seen better punting, distance, placement and hang time at the high school level from a few young players this past season.  I wish I was kidding, but I am not.  Leg strength is a huge issue.

They should seriously look at taking a safety anytime they need to punt inside their own 20.  Especially into a breeze of any sort.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Road Griller on June 13, 2024, 05:43:23 PMSpecial teams have been an issue since Medlock left.  He was the straw that stirred the drink.  Covered many issues.  The return game without Grant is non existent.   MOS has lost the handle.

The Aussie gimmick is just that, he is not a rookie, took and illegal punt penalty and one was for a net of around 10 or less.  Need to be able to boom it when needed.

I seen better punting, distance, placement and hang time at the high school level from a few young players this past season.  I wish I was kidding, but I am not.  Leg strength is a huge issue.

They should seriously look at taking a safety anytime they need to punt inside their own 20.  Especially into a breeze of any sort.

Do you have selective memory? Medlock's punting was usually effective and statistically had good net but he never "boomed" them. Placement was good and directionally he excelled which are the same adjectives I would use to describe Sheehan.

And if we're being fair, Sheehan's punting looks much improved. He's getting them away far faster than last year and he has a deeper kick in the toolbox.

Road Griller

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 13, 2024, 06:48:36 PMDo you have selective memory? Medlock's punting was usually effective and statistically had good net but he never "boomed" them. Placement was good and directionally he excelled which are the same adjectives I would use to describe Sheehan.

And if we're being fair, Sheehan's punting looks much improved. He's getting them away far faster than last year and he has a deeper kick in the toolbox.
Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 13, 2024, 06:48:36 PMDo you have selective memory? Medlock's punting was usually effective and statistically had good net but he never "boomed" them. Placement was good and directionally he excelled which are the same adjectives I would use to describe Sheehan.

Medlock could boom them when needed, that kept the returner back then he would use his superb placement to pin them and or have them so unbalanced they would just hit the dirt.  He was one of the best.

Comparing  JS to Medlock is laughable.  Like I said, go watch some high school games in the fall and you will see a better punter or two.

He needs to really improve to be average.  We need better than average.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Road Griller on June 13, 2024, 07:17:55 PMMedlock could boom them when needed, that kept the returner back then he would use his superb placement to pin them and or have them so unbalanced they would just hit the dirt.  He was one of the best.

Comparing  JS to Medlock is laughable.  Like I said, go watch some high school games in the fall and you will see a better punter or two.

He needs to really improve to be average.  We need better than average.

Trolls will troll.

Road Griller

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 13, 2024, 07:22:39 PMTrolls will troll.

I am actually shocked at the amount of people who still think this is a dominant team.  We need to bring back excellence in every phase of the game.  Serviceable is not good enough.

Mediocrity has crept in, the team can still be good if they are willing to make the changes like Montreal did last season.  Keep improving every position each and every week and peak at the end.

If not, their record will not be close to the last two seasons.  They don't have the horses right now.

Jesse

Quote from: Road Griller on June 13, 2024, 08:10:55 PMI am actually shocked at the amount of people who still think this is a dominant team.  We need to bring back excellence in every phase of the game.  Serviceable is not good enough.

Mediocrity has crept in, the team can still be good if they are willing to make the changes like Montreal did last season.  Keep improving every position each and every week and peak at the end.

If not, their record will not be close to the last two seasons.  They don't have the horses right now.

We don't know what this team is yet, it's been one game.

Coming on here - with zero recent history - and saying everything is rotten is troll behavior. Take a breath, a step back, and settle on a few select pints to make. Maybe people will be more receptive.
My wife is amazing!

BBRT

Quote from: Jesse on June 13, 2024, 09:06:37 PMWe don't know what this team is yet, it's been one game.

Coming on her - with zero recent history - and saying everything is rotten is troll behaviour. Take a breath, a step back, and settle on a few select pints to make. Maybe people will be more receptive.

Yeah have to agree - way to early to jump off the bridge. Let's see how things evolve over time. Way too early to get all bent out of shape.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Road Griller on June 13, 2024, 08:10:55 PMI am actually shocked at the amount of people who still think this is a dominant team.  We need to bring back excellence in every phase of the game.  Serviceable is not good enough.

yes we know you've made that point about 5 times now. It is called trolling. Mods please get involved it is getting insufferable.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on June 13, 2024, 09:06:37 PMWe don't know what this team is yet, it's been one game.

Coming on here - with zero recent history - and saying everything is rotten is troll behavior. Take a breath, a step back, and settle on a few select pints to make. Maybe people will be more receptive.
Select a fews Pints lol. I agree 100%.

Road Griller

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on June 13, 2024, 09:29:51 PMyes we know you've made that point about 5 times now. It is called trolling. Mods please get involved it is getting insufferable.

I am not trolling, I am sharing my take on the team just like you.  I believe they are trending in the wrong direction. 

Tonight will show us what they are made of, it's not always unicorns and rainbows in pro sports.  Let's hope for 4 solid quarters of football and a dominant performance from the team as we have experienced for the last 4 years.

As the great Cal Murphy said, this is the CFL.  You don't rebuild, you reload.

BomberFan73

Hopefully the D can play like last week, well at least the front 7
We'll need a better effort from the hoggies, open up holes & protect Zach
Also hoping ZC looks more comfortable, and is able to find guys
The newbies cannot be a non factor

ModAdmin

Quote from: Road Griller on June 13, 2024, 09:49:15 PMI am not trolling, I am sharing my take on the team just like you.  I believe they are trending in the wrong direction. 

Tonight will show us what they are made of, it's not always unicorns and rainbows in pro sports.  Let's hope for 4 solid quarters of football and a dominant performance from the team as we have experienced for the last 4 years.

As the great Cal Murphy said, this is the CFL.  You don't rebuild, you reload.

There is no trend yet other than they are coming off multiple Grey Cup appearances.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Lets do this boys!

The Zipp

The Zipp