Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Ottawa - June 13, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 12, 2024, 05:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Griller

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on June 14, 2024, 04:06:24 PMStrevy, must be injured. There is no other logical reason he was not used this game.....he must be....

I agree, on the 7 LaPo would have had him in.

Especially with the recent play of Collaros. He needs some sideline time to regroup.  They need to learn from the Drew Willy experiment.   They risk shattering what is  left of his confidence.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Road Griller on June 14, 2024, 04:40:53 PMI agree, on the 7 LaPo would have had him in.

Especially with the recent play of Collaros. He needs some sideline time to regroup.  They need to learn from the Drew Willy experiment.   They risk shattering what is  left of his confidence.

It might have been good to get Streveler into the game earlier in the game to give Collaros some time on the sideline.

No way Lapo would have switched him in the last 2 minutes to pass. I doubt O'Shea would have allowed that either.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Road Griller

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 14, 2024, 05:13:44 PMIt might have been good to get Streveler into the game earlier in the game to give Collaros some time on the sideline.

No way Lapo would have switched him in the last 2 minutes to pass. I doubt O'Shea would have allowed that either.

LaPo would have had him in with RPO I believe because it makes the most sense.

No way that is a 3 pass situation in the rain even without a RPO stud like Streveler. 

17 scores on 3 plays from the 7 in those conditions almost every time.  LaPo gets them to punch it in.  No question in my mind.

The Zipp

the play calling from the 7 was atrocious and needs to be questioned fully.  You know you are in 3 down territory, the clock isn't a huge issue.  You could have probably run Strev in three different types of runs and got the win...You could have also run JA as well on first down.

Just terrible.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on June 14, 2024, 05:26:40 PMthe play calling from the 7 was atrocious and needs to be questioned fully.  You know you are in 3 down territory, the clock isn't a huge issue.  You could have probably run Strev in three different types of runs and got the win...You could have also run JA as well on first down.

Just terrible.
Really hard to disagree there.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Quote from: Horseman on June 14, 2024, 04:40:36 PMSo far after 2 games, we are looking/playing like the "Free" space on the ole bingo card. Still time to turn it around but Zack needs to play like Zack.

Anyone who thinks we are a free space is in for a rude awakening.

One play from winning after losing 5 starters is not a free space, my friend.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Road Griller

Quote from: The Zipp on June 14, 2024, 05:26:40 PMthe play calling from the 7 was atrocious and needs to be questioned fully.  You know you are in 3 down territory, the clock isn't a huge issue.  You could have probably run Strev in three different types of runs and got the win...You could have also run JA as well on first down.

Just terrible.

Yup, simple RPO.  Send all receivers to the back of the endzone taking DB's with them. Bootleg Strev with JA backing him.  No daylight flip it to JA, Strev becomes lead blocker , steamrolls a player or two and JA walks in.

A DB cheats trying to hold the line it's an easy toss to a wide open receiver.

Stuff you can draw up in the dirt with a stick.  Why be cute? Run that play and you either score or end up on the 2 or less.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Road Griller on June 14, 2024, 05:20:01 PMLaPo would have had him in with RPO I believe because it makes the most sense.

No way that is a 3 pass situation in the rain even without a RPO stud like Streveler. 

17 scores on 3 plays from the 7 in those conditions almost every time.  LaPo gets them to punch it in.  No question in my mind.

The play calling sucked. Without a legit RB threat, it would have made it obvious Streveler would look to run 1st.

He completed 7 of 8 in pre season game 1 for 65 yards. He has yet to even attempt a pass in the regular season.  The Ol was not blocking well and receivers may be part of the issue.

Buck should have called a screen to Augustine on the 1st play ( perhaps ). At least called a quicker release on a shorter pattern. Schoen should have moved up to make the catch even if he caught it at the 1. That would have been better than forcing another effort from the 7.

Bad execution and bad play calling combined with bad weather.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

lenny

Wow i haven't posted for a while but what I'm seeing from Collaros is a guy and the OC Buck out of synch. If they can all get on the same page then it will be business as usual.

Blue In BC

On a side suggestion I would like to see Jones replace Ayers at LB. In at least the short term, IMO he adds more talent on the field. He can play ST's as well as LB.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Road Griller

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 14, 2024, 05:48:30 PMThe play calling sucked. Without a legit RB threat, it would have made it obvious Streveler would look to run 1st.

He completed 7 of 8 in pre season game 1 for 65 yards. He has yet to even attempt a pass in the regular season.  The Ol was not blocking well and receivers may be part of the issue.

Buck should have called a screen to Augustine on the 1st play ( perhaps ). At least called a quicker release on a shorter pattern. Schoen should have moved up to make the catch even if he caught it at the 1. That would have been better than forcing another effort from the 7.

Bad execution and bad play calling combined with bad weather.

As I said above, Strev is more than capable of tossing to an open receiver in RPO.
Down 1 bootleg 17 , JA on the flank, send receivers to the back of the endzone dragging the DB's.  One cheats to hold the line, easy toss.  See an opening, take it.  Lane plugged flip it to JA and make a hole.

Sandlot football, everyone and their dog would know what's coming, try and stop it...

Blue In BC

Quote from: Road Griller on June 14, 2024, 06:07:26 PMAs I said above, Strev is more than capable of tossing to an open receiver in RPO.
Down 1 bootleg 17 , JA on the flank, send receivers to the back of the endzone dragging the DB's.  One cheats to hold the line, easy toss.  See an opening, take it.  Lane plugged flip it to JA and make a hole.

Sandlot football, everyone and their dog would know what's coming, try and stop it...

I did expect Streveler in on 1st down for some variation of what you suggested. The problem was we were having OL pressure issues, lack of run issues and the defence with 7 in the box. We had been no real threat in our passing game and DB's were also cheating up.

We haven't seen enough of Streveler in 2024 to fully expect him to give us what we might have wanted considering the other issues. Collaros had no time to pass and I'm not sure Streveler would have had open lanes to run or pass either.

What I wanted was a 3 or 4 yard gain on a run and burning off another 20+ seconds. That would have given us better options than 2nd and goal from the 7 to the point that another run might have made sense. At no point did I expect Streveler to throw anything besides a short screen to Augustine or wr screen to either Wheatfall of Woli.  Demski was probably double covered?

Scoring and leaving 50 seconds on the clock let too much time for Ottawa to score a FG.

Hindsight is always 100%. All I know is I didn't like the play calling but would need elevated view to see where the receivers were or if they ran correct routes etc.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

towelie

Since everyone is offering what they would have done.

1st down - hand off to JA, even 2-3 yards is almost a win here. Collaros can be in for it. If you insist on passing why not try a quick throw to the flat and block it up. Really only need a small chunk then you bring in Strev for 2 tries to pound it in.

The fade wasn't a terrible play, but should be a 2nd down look, not first. Esp throwing to a rookie IMO. Not that it's on Wheatfall at all, ZC missed the throw.

theaardvark

The 3rd down from the 7, the rec was open.  If the ball was dry, I bet that Collaros beats Webb to the reception.  The wet ball, heavier, less grip, not as much zip on it.  And it was only a split second that was needed.

Mother Nature 1, Bombers 0
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

At the end of game, we had in 3 first year DBs, 2 DL, 2 WR, 2 OL. and our backup RB, which only had 9 carries, which is ridicules. And, no red zone package for Strev17.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.