Grading the new OL

Started by TecnoGenius, June 08, 2024, 04:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you grade the new 2024 OL based only on game 1?

A lot worse than 2023
1 (5.6%)
A bit worse than 2023
13 (72.2%)
Same as 2023
3 (16.7%)
Better than 2023
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: June 12, 2024, 04:02:12 AM

ModAdmin

Quote from: dd on June 08, 2024, 11:32:49 PMwhere did geoff grey go??

Unsigned by any CFL team I believe. 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on June 08, 2024, 09:39:46 PMIf you're insisting on an assessment now, after a terribly played game, which was the first time they've played gather, and first opportunity to play in front of Collaros and Oliveira, then you're not asking for an assessment, you're just looking for an opportunity to dump on them.

Not true, in my long post here I laid out many positives from the OL in week 1.  And I praised them for being above my expectations.

And it seems clear from the voting that most see them as "slightly worse", which is also very positive.  If after no PS games they can be just "slightly worse", that bodes well for the upcoming weeks.

From what I saw, they might be able to get as good as 2023, and while not ideal, it would be good enough to get to the GC again.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on June 09, 2024, 04:33:52 AMWow, really??

Wpg. media can't bother to check on him, but the assumption is he's focused on his engineering career in Wpg.

pdirks67

Based on too-early returns, the OL looked serviceable to me. Part of Brady's lack of production might be attributable to his complete lack of a training camp or any exhibition-game reps.

When I was watching Lofton, he didn't look terrible.

Zach had time to throw IMO, but was certainly showing the offseason rust. I don't think his poor showing had much (if anything) to do with the OL.

But - we've only seen 1/18th of the season. And hard to tell where Montreal's pass rush will rate.

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 09, 2024, 03:39:32 PMWpg. media can't bother to check on him, but the assumption is he's focused on his engineering career in Wpg.
Wow, good on him then. In the big picture, he made the right call

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pdirks67 on June 09, 2024, 04:51:04 PMZach had time to throw IMO, but was certainly showing the offseason rust. I don't think his poor showing had much (if anything) to do with the OL.

Since 2021 or so, our OL has been steadily but slowly getting worse every year on pass-pro.  Yes, Zach usually gets the "magic" 2.7s, and there are very few complete busts and blowups.  BUT, he almost never gets >3s in a clean pocket: compare that to Cody who sometimes had 4, 5, 6s in the pocket.

It will be critical our OL doesn't keep up that year-on-year slippage.  It will be nice if we can even improve that time-buying on pass-pro.  That will help with the deeper and double-move routes.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 09, 2024, 03:39:32 PMWpg. media can't bother to check on him, but the assumption is he's focused on his engineering career in Wpg.

Possibly more money, regular hours and no bruises.  And, no needing to "keep the weight on", staying that big is not healthy long term.

Sure, if you are passionate to play, you stay as long as you can.  But players with other options often take them.  Especially if they've already been through a enough training camps.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

peg_city

Our O-line was bad to start the last two seasons, for those who don't remember.

markf

Quote from: Jesse on June 08, 2024, 09:39:46 PMIf you're insisting on an assessment now, after a terribly played game, which was the first time they've played gather, and first opportunity to play in front of Collaros and Oliveira, then you're not asking for an assessment, you're just looking for an opportunity to dump on them.

There are quite a few people in the two forums who are quick to dump on the team, players, coach.....some of them seem to enjoy a loss, since it proves (to them at least) that O'Shea is not a good coach.

Strange.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: markf on June 10, 2024, 06:55:27 PMThere are quite a few people in the two forums who are quick to dump on the team, players, coach.....some of them seem to enjoy a loss, since it proves (to them at least) that O'Shea is not a good coach.

Strange.

Agreed. I'm sure nobody would want their boss kicking their can down the road after one brutal day at work! It happens to the best of us. If it was total negligence or brutal behaviour a stern warning for sure if not the boot if you crossed major lines I understand though. Chad Kelly would be thrown the book at him if he worked in government and their strict harassment policies of almost no tolerance. Sports teams and leagues seem to the slackest. Even private corporations have much tighter policies that most sports teams. The OLD DAYS of the boyz club rules (same with fraternities) need to end as it just stupid and ridiculous for Neanderthal behaviour anymore. 

Jesse

Quote from: markf on June 10, 2024, 06:55:27 PMThere are quite a few people in the two forums who are quick to dump on the team, players, coach.....some of them seem to enjoy a loss, since it proves (to them at least) that O'Shea is not a good coach.

Strange.

Yeah, I've had to step away from the other forum for a while. Not getting anything of value from it right now.
My wife is amazing!

BomberFan73

Quote from: Jesse on June 11, 2024, 12:23:39 AMYeah, I've had to step away from the other forum for a while. Not getting anything of value from it right now.
Whats "the other forum"?  Ourbombers?  Or the CFL one?

dd

I thought the O line did OK...the difference in the game was Collaros missing Lawler in the end zone and then the pass thrown behind schoen in the end zone that let gave the DB a chance to knock it down. If those 2 passes were thrown correctly, we win that ball game. Its Collaros that has to pickup his game, not the O line.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!