Montreals best weapon

Started by DM83, June 08, 2024, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

He's a rookie getting his CFL baptism....he'll have to figure it out or next man up

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: dd on June 12, 2024, 05:39:51 PMHe's a rookie getting his CFL baptism....he'll have to figure it out or next man up

Who's a rookie?

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 10, 2024, 07:41:29 AMThen please, someone, explain to me why Ford was down doing the NFL thing for an entire year?  Shouldn't he have been 1 tryout and done if he was awful?

What did MTL know ahead of time to pick Ford as the fall guy?  Or... did they test him early and then pick him due to on-field results?  I know I thought Ford would be a strong "new" player.  I thought Bonds would be the weak link.

Now the question is: Was this a "newbie" one-off weak game for Ford, or is he going to be a liability all season?  I think we all had huge hopes for him.
Knee jerk reaction to Fords first game of the season, imo.  Give him time, have patience.  One game means nothing especially for an outstanding athlete like Ford.  He has potential, give him time.  Give the D time to sync.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 12, 2024, 06:50:35 PMWho's a rookie?

Ford.  Ya, he's not, but he kinda is, in a way.  I think he started a couple of games for us in '22?  Maybe backed-up on others?  Then he bailed.  This will certainly be his first full season starting in the CFL.

I don't even remember: did he dress a whole season for us or did he flit off down south mid-season?
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 13, 2024, 02:15:08 AMFord.  Ya, he's not, but he kinda is, in a way.  I think he started a couple of games for us in '22?  Maybe backed-up on others?  Then he bailed.  This will certainly be his first full season starting in the CFL.

I don't even remember: did he dress a whole season for us or did he flit off down south mid-season?
My memory sucks but I think we had him for year, didn't play much and we let him go to try his luck down South.

Jesse

He was here for the whole year, but only started in the last game of the season when we played all backups.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on June 13, 2024, 10:55:52 AMHe was here for the whole year, but only started in the last game of the season when we played all backups.

But he did sub in a fair bit on rotation, right?  I remember noting that he was pretty decent when in, and not just a garbage-season game.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Nope.  Ford is the issue vs. Montreal.
Vs. Ottawa the cancer seems to have spread.  Dis you all see the number of Bombers going at half speed?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on June 14, 2024, 06:41:18 AMNope.  Ford is the issue vs. Montreal.
Vs. Ottawa the cancer seems to have spread.  Dis you all see the number of Bombers going at half speed?

Ford may have botched things vs MTL but he did quite well vs OTT.  Especially in the 1st half, he was making impact plays.

And we can't bash on Kramdi in this game, he was laying the wood all night, all over the place, and we had him playing at least 2 different positions!

With the game's run results, I'd say our DL and run-stop LBers were more of a problem than the DBs.  Ya, DL got killed by injuries, but ~130Y rushing is not acceptable.

On the bright side, Biggie was moving with speed and making plays.  That's always nice to see.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 14, 2024, 07:52:01 AMFord may have botched things vs MTL but he did quite well vs OTT.  Especially in the 1st half, he was making impact plays.

And we can't bash on Kramdi in this game, he was laying the wood all night, all over the place, and we had him playing at least 2 different positions!

With the game's run results, I'd say our DL and run-stop LBers were more of a problem than the DBs.  Ya, DL got killed by injuries, but ~130Y rushing is not acceptable.

On the bright side, Biggie was moving with speed and making plays.  That's always nice to see.

Looked like Ford was responsible for the last TC Ottawa scored, although Holm ended up chasing the receiver he rarely screws up coverage. If that's the case Ford has already been responsible for 2-3 TD's given up in 2 games, that's not sustainable.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 14, 2024, 08:37:47 AMLooked like Ford was responsible for the last TC Ottawa scored, although Holm ended up chasing the receiver he rarely screws up coverage. If that's the case Ford has already been responsible for 2-3 TD's given up in 2 games, that's not sustainable.

Was a man call and usually DBs would switch there instead of getting lost in the wash. Having said that, Ford played a pretty good game yesterday. Certainly much better than week one.

LXTSN

In Ford's second real start, I think he did well. Certainly not the reason why we lost that game.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on June 14, 2024, 02:58:00 PMIn Ford's second real start, I think he did well. Certainly not the reason why we lost that game.

At times Ford looked good but maybe he's being rushed along without a reason, he's not a ratio requirement and it's clear he doesn't fully understand the coverage yet.  Of course his replacement isn't immediately obvious with injuries and a number of experierienced DB's shown the door.

theaardvark

DBs communication in ways is even more important than Oline.  And getting to that point where you know what your partner is doing without saying anything takes time.  One half step out of timing and you can blow a coverage.  Not handing off a coverage cleanly happens less and less the more players work together. 

This DB corps is much newer than our Oline.  As they settle in, I think they have great potential.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 14, 2024, 03:19:12 PMAt times Ford looked good but maybe he's being rushed along without a reason, he's not a ratio requirement and it's clear he doesn't fully understand the coverage yet.  Of course his replacement isn't immediately obvious with injuries and a number of experierienced DB's shown the door.

I take exception to "number of DB's shown the door".  $SMS hamstrings a GM when other teams have money to spend and a hole to fill. 

We have the most veteran team in the league.  And those veterans make more money.  So you need ELC guys, every team does.  It's something a coach has to work with. 

If we'd "shown the door" to Nichols, Alexander, Parker and Holm, you'd have a point.  But we had Houston coming off an ELC needing a big raise, so we had to make a choice.  Parker's injury meant 2 holes to fill with ELC's in Ford and Bonds.

Still had 3 vets in the DB's to start the year (hopefully Nichols is just a precautionary thing). If Nichols is not available, Griffin II or McGhee are possibly next man up... 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.