Saturday Afternoon Games on CTV Only?

Started by pdirks67, June 06, 2024, 09:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdirks67

3DownNation just reported that "For the 2024 season, all Saturday regular season games at 3:00 p.m. ET will be shown on CTV."
https://3downnation.com/2024/06/06/cfl-returns-to-ctv-for-fall-saturday-games-playoffs-including-grey-cup/

As far as I can tell, you can only legally stream the live CTV feed online if you have cable? If so, that really sucks for those of us that have cut the cord. Unless some content is accessible (e.g. CFL games)?

I pay for the TSN stream, and I'm totally OK with paying for CFL games on TSN. But I can't see any option to pay for CTV. I created a CTV account just now and then tried to watch "On Air" and it says that you need to access it via a TV provider account.

The CFL broadcast schedule seems to confirm that the Saturday afternoon CTV games will be exclusive to CTV.
https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/CFL-Broadcast-Schedule-2024.pdf

The Zipp

probably be able pick it up with some "rabbit ears" or a flat antenaa you stick on a window

Waffler

Quote from: The Zipp on June 06, 2024, 09:22:04 PMprobably be able pick it up with some "rabbit ears" or a flat antenaa you stick on a window

In theory, yes. It's a pretty hard channel to pick up over the air. CBC and Global anyone can get with a paper clip.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Stats Junkie

Important to note:
In addition, beginning on September 7 with the Labour Day Weekend Rematch featuring the Saskatchewan Roughriders visiting the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Saturday afternoon CFL contests will be broadcast exclusively on CTV with kickoff times shifting from 4 p.m. to 3 p.m. ET.

CFL Statement on CTV
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie

I am a Stats Junkie, a Rules Junkie & a Canadian Football History Junkie!

Sir Blue and Gold

What I assume and this also checks out so far on the TSN website is that:

Every game will be on TSN
Some games will ALSO be on CTV.

CTV is used to extend reach only. That would be standard procedure and what you can expect unless specifically told otherwise.

TSN is going to do the panel every game as was in their press release I linked earlier. It's not suddenly the CTV panel.

Think about it logically: TSN is a premium add on for cable packages and revenue generator online at CFL plus. Adding CTV increases viewership somewhat to increase value of commerical inventory.

pdirks67

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 06, 2024, 09:51:10 PMWhat I assume and this also checks out so far on the TSN website is that:

Every game will be on TSN
Some games will ALSO be on CTV.

CTV is used to extend reach only. That would be standard procedure and what you can expect unless specifically told otherwise.

TSN is going to do the panel every game as was in their press release I linked earlier. It's not suddenly the CTV panel.

Think about it logically: TSN is a premium add on for cable packages and revenue generator online at CFL plus. Adding CTV increases viewership somewhat to increase value of commerical inventory.

I hope you're right, but that's not what the CFL broadcast schedule indicates. It shows them as exclusive to CTV:
https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/CFL-Broadcast-Schedule-2024.pdf

The TSN broadcast schedule implies CTV exclusivity on these games as well:
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/cfl-on-tsn-broadcast-schedule-1.1951231

Rhapsody in Blue

I'm a little surprised that no one is talking about the Grey Cup and the East playoff games being aired on CTV.

pdirks67

Quote from: Rhapsody in Blue on June 06, 2024, 10:08:36 PMI'm a little surprised that no one is talking about the Grey Cup and the East playoff games being aired on CTV.

The broadcast schedule shows those games as dual CTV/TSN games, so fine by me.

Rhapsody in Blue

The announcement I saw said the Saturday games were exclusive to CTV.

CFL website announcement

TecnoGenius

"Saturday afternoon CFL contests will be broadcast exclusively on CTV"

The industry may still use the word "broadcast" to mean "out over the airwaves", i.e. antenna TV.  In which case, it can be on TSN and CTV and the above quote still holds true.

I'm pretty sure TSN holds a license to show all games, and I don't know why adding CTV would suddenly change TSN's contract... unless it was TSN who sold the rights to CTV, not the CFL?

Further hints about TSN airing the games are that you guys said it's still the TSN panel, etc.  If TSN had nothing to do with it, wouldn't CTV run their own panel/booth?

As someone who pays the extra $$ for the TSN channels year-round, I'll be pretty miffed if I can't get it on TSN.  Especially since that will likely mean CTV'll only show it once, and if your PVR screws up you'll never see it again.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Oh ya, what's with moving our games to 2pm central?  Ugh... it's hard for me to make 3pm games, let alone 2pm.

There must have been a lot of money flying around for CTV to score this deal and influence the actual timing!!

Oh well, on the bright side this probably means more mega-bucks for the CFL, which it definitely is in need of.
Never go full Rider!

pdirks67

[BEGIN RANT]
Having looked again at the CFL broadcast schedule, it looks like the upcoming early-Saturday games (starting next week) are still scheduled to be exclusive to CTV. As I said earlier, as a streamer who pays for all the content that I consume, this really angers me.
https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/08/2024-CFL-Broadcast-Master-2.pdf

I just sent off emails to Bell Media and the league office, asking them what the options will be for streamers. I also emailed the Bomber office, asking them to check into this at their end.

I've had two Bomber season tickets for 35 years and I've always paid for TSN - first on cable, then for their streaming platform. Shouldn't the league be thinking of the people who are paying the freight first and foremost? Go nuts, play the game on CTV and see if you can increase the value of your rights. But make sure that you aren't messing with the people who have being supporting you financially through the years.

Knowing the league, I assume that nothing will be done. So, I'll either just skip all these games or "find another way". It's a first world problem, but sure feels like a stab in the back.
[RANT COMPLETE]

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pdirks67 on August 30, 2024, 03:54:47 PM[BEGIN RANT]
Having looked again at the CFL broadcast schedule, it looks like the upcoming early-Saturday games (starting next week) are still scheduled to be exclusive to CTV. As I said earlier, as a streamer who pays for all the content that I consume, this really angers me.
https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/08/2024-CFL-Broadcast-Master-2.pdf

I just sent off emails to Bell Media and the league office, asking them what the options will be for streamers. I also emailed the Bomber office, asking them to check into this at their end.

I've had two Bomber season tickets for 35 years and I've always paid for TSN - first on cable, then for their streaming platform. Shouldn't the league be thinking of the people who are paying the freight first and foremost? Go nuts, play the game on CTV and see if you can increase the value of your rights. But make sure that you aren't messing with the people who have being supporting you financially through the years.

Knowing the league, I assume that nothing will be done. So, I'll either just skip all these games or "find another way". It's a first world problem, but sure feels like a stab in the back.
[RANT COMPLETE]

It's good you brought this topic back up, it looks like the Banjo Bowl on Sept. 7 will be one of the first games that isn't streamed on TSN Direct.  You should be able to stream it on CFL+ if you use a VPN to disguise your location.

pdirks67

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 30, 2024, 05:06:41 PMIt's good you brought this topic back up, it looks like the Banjo Bowl on Sept. 7 will be one of the first games that isn't streamed on TSN Direct.  You should be able to stream it on CFL+ if you use a VPN to disguise your location.

Good idea. I was also thinking that this might be possible. I'll be at the Banjo Bowl in person, but I'll try it for the Ticats-Redblacks game on the 14th.

Another goofy thing - I tried to log in to RDS with my TSN password to see if I could watch some of the games "en Francais". You would think that paying for TSN would get you access to RDS. But - nope, that is a separate service that you have to pay for, apparently.

Blueforlife

Quote from: Waffler on June 06, 2024, 09:29:20 PMIn theory, yes. It's a pretty hard channel to pick up over the air. CBC and Global anyone can get with a paper clip.
Powered antenna will get it
Pauto sells cheap
I did FTA for year with the old roof top unit
Exceptional quality

There is another thread about this and lots of comments about FTA TV.

If anyone needs help with FTA or streaming, PM me I'll fix your wagon.  I don't know anything about VPN though.