Blue Bombers' Depth Charts!

Started by Foxhound, June 06, 2024, 02:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxhound

Why are the Winnipeg Blue Bombers always so tardy posting their Depth Charts on their website? "On the day prior to each game, CFL rules dictate that each team must declare their 46-man roster." The other teams almost always have their Depth Charts posted on their sites by about noon on the day before the game. But the Blue Bombers' Depth Charts often don't show up until game day. This has been an ongoing issue for several years.

As of five minutes ago, the Depth Chart for game one of the 2024 season against the Alouettes still isn't on their website.

I phoned the Commissioner's Office to complain late yesterday afternoon. The best I could do of course was to leave a phone message. I also managed to send an email despite the fact that the CFL's email address is no longer on their site. Heaven forbid anyone there actually have to deal with customers and their inquiries or complaints these days.

>:(
Radically Canadian!

Sir Blue and Gold

They've been posted here since yesterday around mid day and on Bombers social media around the same time.

Foxhound

What is this Bombers' "social media"? Why is this social media being used by the Bombers in place of the traditional location for their Depth Charts on their website where they belong?

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024-depth-position-charts/

The spot for their Depth Charts is right there! Why are the Bombers not putting it there? What's with this social media stuff? Are Bombers/CFL fans now required to be social types of some sort?

Radically Canadian!

theaardvark

Quote from: Foxhound on June 06, 2024, 03:50:46 PMWhat is this Bombers' "social media"? Why is this social media being used by the Bombers in place of the traditional location for their Depth Charts on their website where they belong?

The spot for their Depth Charts is right there! Why are the Bombers not putting it there? What's with this social media stuff? Are Bombers/CFL fans now required to be social types of some sort?

Well, I guess the are driving traffic to their socials. Something every business tries to do.  Take a product/feature, and make it only available on your scials to drive traffic there.

Not saying its good or right,m just saying it is normal business.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pdirks67

Quote from: Foxhound on June 06, 2024, 02:55:51 PMWhy are the Winnipeg Blue Bombers always so tardy posting their Depth Charts on their website? "On the day prior to each game, CFL rules dictate that each team must declare their 46-man roster." The other teams almost always have their Depth Charts posted on their sites by about noon on the day before the game. But the Blue Bombers' Depth Charts often don't show up until game day. This has been an ongoing issue for several years.

As of five minutes ago, the Depth Chart for game one of the 2024 season against the Alouettes still isn't on their website.

I phoned the Commissioner's Office to complain late yesterday afternoon. The best I could do of course was to leave a phone message. I also managed to send an email despite the fact that the CFL's email address is no longer on their site. Heaven forbid anyone actually need to deal with customers and their inquiries or complaints these days.

It is very annoying. Yes, it's available on Twitter - but why wouldn't they also post it on the assigned page on their website at the same time? I deleted my Twitter account a couple years ago, so now I have to scroll through the game day page every time I want to find it.

The Bombers do most things VERY well, and they should be commended for being a model organization. But this is one thing that they seem to mess up every week and I don't understand why. Posting it on their website should just be another line on their weekly IT/social media checklist.

Foxhound

Quote from: pdirks67 on June 06, 2024, 03:57:44 PMIt is very annoying. Yes, it's available on Twitter - but why wouldn't they also post it the assigned page on their website at the same time?

But this is one thing that they seem to mess up every week and I don't understand why. Posting it on their website should just be another line on their weekly IT/social media checklist.

I agree. The CFL is actually supposed to be about entertainment. It's not supposed to be another irritant. Yet they keep introducing elements to irritate me. It really does leave me wondering whether they're just trying to drive decades long fans such as myself away.

:(

Radically Canadian!

The Zipp

Come to this forum - game day thread is posted as soon as the depth charts are available - plus you can discuss with great fans...

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Foxhound on June 06, 2024, 03:50:46 PMWhat is this Bombers' "social media"? Why is this social media being used by the Bombers in place of the traditional location for their Depth Charts on their website where they belong?

It will be handed out for free printed on nice paper when you arrive at the stadium. That will work right? You don't even need a computer screen or website at all. In the meantime, your problem can be solved with a 5 second Google search. I'll leave it up to you whether you believe that type of barrier is worth getting angry over.

gobombersgo

The CFL.ca also does game previews that normally include depth charts:

ALS, BOMBERS BRING HEAT INTO 2024 SEASON

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/06/06/als-bombers-bring-fire-into-2024-season/

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 06, 2024, 06:21:51 PMIt will be handed out for free printed on nice paper when you arrive at the stadium. That will work right? You don't even need a computer screen or website at all. In the meantime, your problem can be solved with a 5 second Google search. I'll leave it up to you whether you believe that type of barrier is worth getting angry over.

Can you please pin it to the top and lock it from comments so it doesn't get buried in the game day thread?

Foxhound

Quote from: gobombersgo on June 06, 2024, 06:36:50 PMThe CFL.ca also does game previews that normally include depth charts:

ALS, BOMBERS BRING HEAT INTO 2024 SEASON

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/06/06/als-bombers-bring-fire-into-2024-season/

Yes, but those go up only during the day of the game. A one day head start is nice and useful.

:)
Radically Canadian!

Foxhound

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 06, 2024, 06:53:23 PMCan you please pin it to the top and lock it from comments so it doesn't get buried in the game day thread?

A very good idea!

8)
Radically Canadian!

pdirks67

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 06, 2024, 06:21:51 PMIt will be handed out for free printed on nice paper when you arrive at the stadium. That will work right? You don't even need a computer screen or website at all. In the meantime, your problem can be solved with a 5 second Google search. I'll leave it up to you whether you believe that type of barrier is worth getting angry over.

Haha! Another pet peave - the extremely small positional depth chart image on the game-day program!

I've started just printing the version off from the gameday thread to take with me to the game.

Foxhound

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 06, 2024, 06:21:51 PMIt will be handed out for free printed on nice paper when you arrive at the stadium. That will work right?

Ahhhhh, no. That would be way late for Fantasy and such.

;)

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 06, 2024, 06:21:51 PMIn the meantime, your problem can be solved with a 5 second Google search.

I actually tried that yesterday. The only link I found with a Depth Chart gave only a partial one.

:(
Radically Canadian!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Foxhound on June 06, 2024, 08:00:05 PMAhhhhh, no. That would be way late for Fantasy and such.

;)

Yes, you should have made it clear that you want this stuff for fantasy football.  As do I.  The non-fantasy players don't understand the importance of getting ahold of the charts in an easy and timely manner.

Every week us fantasy players must obtain 8 charts.  We don't want that process to take 1 hour of googling (remember, 8 charts) and fishing through fan forums or messing around on twatter.  Nor should we have to.

Clearly there is a rule as to when the league needs to obtain the charts.  So to me this is ultimately a fail by the CFL and cfl.ca.  They should have an automated system that puts the charts they receive on a publicly-accessible page the instant they arrive (and certainly by the due/cutoff time!).  Before Genius came along, this used to happen with the game-tracker!!  It was nice and very easy and rarely failed to have a chart at the correct time.
Never go full Rider!