Blue Bombers Transactions - June 2, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 02, 2024, 02:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 02, 2024, 05:52:21 PMI don't really case where he was born or played. We always see pro ratio posters not wanting the ratio diluted. Global players are a dilution. Literally they remove 2 Canadian players from the roster.

I'm not a pro ratio poster but 3 of the 4 global players drafted in the last 2 years are still here. 4 of 6 in the last 3 years.  That defies the odds.

The PR is increased to include 2 global players whether they earn a spot by anything besides their designation.

Clearly I'm not a fan of this program.

Well being a little more opened minded would probably help. Without the global program he would be classified as an import and has no chance of making the team. With the rules the way they are, he can make it and the Bombers think it makes our team better. That's a win for talent and watching better players.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 02, 2024, 06:30:11 PMWell being a little more opened minded would probably help. Without the global program he would be classified as an import and has no chance of making the team. With the rules the way they are, he can make it and the Bombers think it makes our team better. That's a win for talent and watching better players.

Not commenting specifically on Karamoko but if he never plays, I don't see how he improves the team. I guess if he makes the A.R. he will play a role on ST's.

Pete

Hope we are looking at returner from another team, chandler worthy is still out there.
 On the global front just a reminder that globals don't count as taking a spot on the practice roster so they don't take anyone's spot.

Once again we seem to have a lack of depth at de much like ly. Am glad to see we have woods, fox and adams on roster, hopefully meaning we will start 2 import dt's.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 02, 2024, 06:30:11 PMWell being a little more opened minded would probably help. Without the global program he would be classified as an import and has no chance of making the team. With the rules the way they are, he can make it and the Bombers think it makes our team better. That's a win for talent and watching better players.

I am open minded. I believe in a fair and open competition where the best players win.

Well that's the question. If there was no mandate for roster space exclusive to global players, would any other player be retained? Either a Canadian or an import.

A simple solution would be to eliminate the global designation and add 2 more DI's. Global players are essentially imports, so let them compete against actual imports.

Eliminate the free space on the bingo card.

We cut 20 imports. Do we actually think none of those players might have been kept instead in an open competition, in any season on any team?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BomberFan73

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 02, 2024, 07:25:39 PMNot commenting specifically on Karamoko but if he never plays, I don't see how he improves the team. I guess if he makes the A.R. he will play a role on ST's.

ST seems to be the goal for our Globals, outside of kickers. Athletic & physical seems to be what they look for.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on June 02, 2024, 07:55:04 PMHope we are looking at returner from another team, chandler worthy is still out there.
 On the global front just a reminder that globals don't count as taking a spot on the practice roster so they don't take anyone's spot.

Once again we seem to have a lack of depth at de much like ly. Am glad to see we have woods, fox and adams on roster, hopefully meaning we will start 2 import dt's.

Worthy was scheduled to earn about $125K IIRC. J. Grant might have been in the same ball bark. So that's in the range of $50K over an ELC.

In theory we had enough to sign Grant according to O'Shea. Whether there were conditions that made him not agree, we don't exactly know.

There may be other players that are closer to ELC's to consider but I think we'll have to see who our returner is and how he does before jumping on recent cuts. We may be looking at a returning by committee.

It was suggested that Smith may have been injured and released as a result. So he could be brought back but who does he replace on the roster? I didn't see his injury so have no idea when he might be healthy or if he'll get another look.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: BomberFan73 on June 02, 2024, 08:04:17 PMST seems to be the goal for our Globals, outside of kickers. Athletic & physical seems to be what they look for.

I was just looking at the stats for Maruo and he had 20 ST's over 3 seasons. He also had some work on defence. Not sure why he wasn't retained for TC 2024. Maybe SMS issue or maybe he didn't want to be away from his family. He was from Japan so going home during the season would be expensive.

In theory Hansen was a decent ST player and did see reps on defence. His injury in 2023 and bump in salary demands may have pushed him off the Bomber roster.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Titus Walls is interesting. 6'0" 200. 21 games, 95 DT, 10 ST, 4 Sacks, 3 Int. 2 FF.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 02, 2024, 08:01:49 PMI am open minded. I believe in a fair and open competition where the best players win.

Well that's the question. If there was no mandate for roster space exclusive to global players, would any other player be retained? Either a Canadian or an import.

A simple solution would be to eliminate the global designation and add 2 more DI's. Global players are essentially imports, so let them compete against actual imports.

Eliminate the free space on the bingo card.

We cut 20 imports. Do we actually think none of those players might have been kept instead in an open competition, in any season on any team?

Hahahaha -- If you want "open competition" there should be no ratio at all and I'm alllllllll for that. Making a CFL team is anything but an "open competition".

Canadians get every possible advantage to make teams and if ONE of them gets released because they are not as good as a CIS player born in France then I'm not going to cry about it and neither should you.

Open competition and Canadian ratio advocate? Pleaasssseeee.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 02, 2024, 09:01:44 PMHahahaha -- If you want "open competition" there should be no ratio at all and I'm alllllllll for that. Making a CFL team is anything but an "open competition".

Canadians get every possible advantage to make teams and if ONE of them gets released because they are not as good as a CIS player born in France then I'm not going to cry about it and neither should you.

Open competition and Canadian ratio advocate? Pleaasssseeee.

I'm not a ratio advocate but I'm willing to accept the Canadians getting an advantage. I'd tweak it a bit by reducing the number of Canadian back ups by 2 and adding 2 more DI's. That would be over and above excluding changing the global designation to DI's as well.

I've mentioned before I'm ok with retaining 7 Canadian starters. The nationalized import, the global designations should just go away.

Since we understand that roster size can't be increased due to financial constraints, that would be my trade off.

Also if the global designation was removed from the PR but the size was maintained at 12, that would create the 2 development spots for Canadians removed from the AR I suggested.

Those are the changes I'd make to the current format to not make the pro ratio folks too unhappy.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: Pigskin on June 02, 2024, 04:10:16 PMSmith, Vann, and Cruickshank, all released. These were the three guys returning kicks. Are we looking at someone that got released from one of the other teams.
I believe the coaching staff is considering using Ford as a PR he has experience doing that at the university level. Ran 3 punts back for TD's in his university career including a 100 yard return. He could be a dual threat starting CB.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Blue In BC

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on June 02, 2024, 10:39:21 PMI believe the coaching staff is considering using Ford as a PR he has experience doing that at the university level. Ran 3 punts back for TD's in his university career including a 100 yard return. He could be a dual threat starting CB.

Tyrell Ford?  It's always a little scary using a starting DB for an additional role. Combination of workload and high risk of injury. We have 2 new starters in the secondary and 3 if Alexander goes to IR.

There will already be 3 new starting DL and 1 LB as well. If Cole starts than 2 new starting LB's. Yes he's not a rookie and Ford was here in 2022 but only started 1 game. That's a lot of changes.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

100% disagree with anyone suggesting less Canadians in the CFL.  It's what makes this league great and provides an amazing community spirt.

Quote from: BomberFan73 on June 02, 2024, 04:29:01 PMWait, so right now if Mcghee is on the PR, who takes Parkers spot?  Bridges/Bonds beat out McGhee there?
I am not sure,maybe someone else knows

Pete

based on preseason, it was less a case of Bond/Bridges beating out Mcphee, and more a case of Mcphee just getting beat.
AS far as the reciever position it was much the same, no receiver shone.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 03, 2024, 01:34:20 AM100% disagree with anyone suggesting less Canadians in the CFL.  It's what makes this league great and provides an amazing community spirt.
I am not sure,maybe someone else knows

How fewer Canadians provide amazing community spirit?