Blue Bombers Transactions - June 2, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 02, 2024, 02:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

I am surprised that we look to be keeping 2 global players on the AR. Noting that the 2nd player comes at the cost of a Canadian player.

Karamoko may not be a bad player, but really? We draft 2 global players and both make the PR?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Smith and Rosery, both released?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Smith, Vann, and Cruickshank, all released. These were the three guys returning kicks. Are we looking at someone that got released from one of the other teams.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 02, 2024, 03:54:16 PMI am surprised that we look to be keeping 2 global players on the AR. Noting that the 2nd player comes at the cost of a Canadian player.

Karamoko may not be a bad player, but really? We draft 2 global players and both make the PR?

It's not that surprising and don't get too caught up on his designation in this case. Karamoko is global but he went to school at Laval and was a Rouge et Or. He's actually played more 'Canadian' football than many of the NCAA trained Canadians. Whatever.

The Zipp

Quote from: Pigskin on June 02, 2024, 04:10:16 PMSmith, Vann, and Cruickshank, all released. These were the three guys returning kicks. Are we looking at someone that got released from one of the other teams.

Augustine?  One of our DB's?

Pigskin

Quote from: The Zipp on June 02, 2024, 04:13:53 PMAugustine?  One of our DB's?

Myron Mitchell is the only other player that returned kicks. Hearing Tre Thomas had a foot injury late in the game.

pdirks67

Quote from: The Zipp on June 02, 2024, 04:13:53 PMAugustine?  One of our DB's?

Myron Mitchell (29) returned one kick on Friday night, and he's still on the roster. So he may be in the mix.

BomberFan73

Quote from: Pigskin on June 02, 2024, 04:18:39 PMMyron Mitchell is the only other player that returned kicks. Hearing Tre Thomas had a foot injury late in the game.

How can they keep the rights to a guy like Bennett who got hurt and is not on the IR, but not a guy like Smith? 
Is that only possible with drafted Nationals?

BomberFan73

Wait, so right now if Mcghee is on the PR, who takes Parkers spot?  Bridges/Bonds beat out McGhee there?

The Zipp

Quote from: pdirks67 on June 02, 2024, 04:20:37 PMMyron Mitchell (29) returned one kick on Friday night, and he's still on the roster. So he may be in the mix.

Thought he wasn't very good...although it was the B/D team out there blocking so who knows. You can usually tell pretty quick if returners have the "it" factor to be exceptional.  I think of Leake - after seeing a few games you just knew this guy would be very good.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 02, 2024, 04:12:14 PMIt's not that surprising and don't get too caught up on his designation in this case. Karamoko is global but he went to school at Laval and was a Rouge et Or. He's actually played more 'Canadian' football than many of the NCAA trained Canadians. Whatever.

I don't buy that explanation. He's played 3 games in the last 2 seasons and he's better than about 8 or so Canadians players drafted in the last 2 years?

We started TC with 4 global players and all 4 remain in some capacity. Zero competition for those players.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 02, 2024, 05:24:25 PMI don't buy that explanation. He's played 3 games in the last 2 seasons and he's better than about 8 or so Canadians players drafted in the last 2 years?

We started TC with 4 global players and all 4 remain in some capacity. Zero competition for those players.

There's nothing to "buy". He was born in France, played CIS football in Canada and has obviously won a spot that another Canadian could have had. He's also 27 and has experience, like you mentioned, which gives him a leg up on many recent draft backs.

If he was listed as a Canadian you wouldn't even notice.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 02, 2024, 05:37:32 PMThere's nothing to "buy". He was born in France, played CIS football in Canada and has obviously won a spot that another Canadian could have had. He's also 27 and has experience, like you mentioned, which gives him a leg up on many recent draft backs.

If he was listed as a Canadian you wouldn't even notice.

I don't really case where he was born or played. We always see pro ratio posters not wanting the ratio diluted. Global players are a dilution. Literally they remove 2 Canadian players from the roster.

I'm not a pro ratio poster but 3 of the 4 global players drafted in the last 2 years are still here. 4 of 6 in the last 3 years.  That defies the odds.

The PR is increased to include 2 global players whether they earn a spot by anything besides their designation.

Clearly I'm not a fan of this program.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 02, 2024, 05:52:21 PMI don't really case where he was born or played. We always see pro ratio posters not wanting the ratio diluted. Global players are a dilution. Literally they remove 2 Canadian players from the roster.

I'm not a pro ratio poster but 3 of the 4 global players drafted in the last 2 years are still here. 4 of 6 in the last 3 years.  That defies the odds.

The PR is increased to include 2 global players whether they earn a spot by anything besides their designation.

Clearly I'm not a fan of this program.

Yah I'm fed up with the Global initiative, I wish Ambrosie would have spent some time this past off-season redefining it's purpose or do away with it entirely.  Other than Aussie kickers no other group has benefited, I wonder if the CFL has had an uptick in  Australian viewers in the last 4 years?

Blue In BC

We can't re-write history. The PR increased to allow retention of 2 global players. If the PR was increased by 2 with no such designation would we have seen more Canadians retained on rosters across the league.

In this season would we have kept Rosery instead of the 2 new global draft choices as an example?  Rosery was in TC in 2023.

Noting that most of the previously drafted globals are long gone as are most of the Canadians that might have spent time on PR's.

Can't really tell whether Karamoko will have a longer better CFL career than Rosery ( if PR'd ) or some other Canadian draft choice that might have been retained.

2019 Grey Cup Champions