Other teams' final cuts

Started by gobombersgo, June 01, 2024, 08:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on September 05, 2024, 05:55:36 PMExpanded practice rosters:

For a one-month period every season, CFL teams are permitted to carry an additional five practice-roster players.

So what's the idea behind this?  How is this supposed to benefit teams?  And why not have the PR be that +5 all season long if there's a big benefit?

I understand the expanded rosters for TC and PS... but I'm not sure I understand the rationale of this arbitrary short-term bump.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 06, 2024, 05:40:49 AMSo what's the idea behind this?  How is this supposed to benefit teams?  And why not have the PR be that +5 all season long if there's a big benefit?

I understand the expanded rosters for TC and PS... but I'm not sure I understand the rationale of this arbitrary short-term bump.

These are players you want to bring in for next year. They get a sense of the ins and outs and can hopefully be in a position to succeed in training camp when it comes back around (or they realize they want no part of of this and you can cross them off your list).

We don't do it all year because money.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on September 06, 2024, 10:35:49 AMThese are players you want to bring in for next year. They get a sense of the ins and outs and can hopefully be in a position to succeed in training camp when it comes back around (or they realize they want no part of of this and you can cross them off your list).

We don't do it all year because money.

A PR player costs $750 - $1,000 per game. If you add 5 additional players for 18 games that could add another $90K to the SMS.

More players in practice takes reps away from others so there is a practical aspect as well with having too many players all season.

IIRC, O. Wilson was one of the 5 added late last year. Transactions show as 10/30/23 future active.

EDIT: Note edited the SMS amount for 5 extra PR players for all 18 games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 06, 2024, 05:37:57 AMI assume the lock-in is also within the SMS?  i.e. If we drop Big Stan tomorrow we'd have to pay his salary and also lose the same amount of SMS space?

Yes, nothing changed in that regard. I don't know if he'll be added today. If he isn't then there seems to be more to him being off than the flu. The question then is on the IR for the full 6 games and the play offs? 6 games left so we'd be sheltered from the SMS on the 6 game if he's there for the duration.

No idea what to expect although I had thought he'd be playing this week. Need him back but health is the first issue.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 06, 2024, 02:13:42 PMYes, nothing changed in that regard. I don't know if he'll be added today. If he isn't then there seems to be more to him being off than the flu. The question then is on the IR for the full 6 games and the play offs? 6 games left so we'd be sheltered from the SMS on the 6 game if he's there for the duration.

No idea what to expect although I had thought he'd be playing this week. Need him back but health is the first issue.

O'Shea seemed to be dead sure Stanley was playing last weekend, the medical staff obviously did not agree.  Hate to go back to Covid, but is this still a spreadable enough disease that could disqualify his participation by the team doctor?

M.O.A.B.

We should be used to O'Shea now when his on the mic. He won't reveal anything especially if it concerns his player's health.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 06, 2024, 10:35:49 AMThese are players you want to bring in for next year. They get a sense of the ins and outs and can hopefully be in a position to succeed in training camp when it comes back around (or they realize they want no part of of this and you can cross them off your list).

So is it more other teams' cuts or more scouting finds from down south?  Or a mix?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 06, 2024, 03:37:24 PMO'Shea seemed to be dead sure Stanley was playing last weekend, the medical staff obviously did not agree.  Hate to go back to Covid, but is this still a spreadable enough disease that could disqualify his participation by the team doctor?

A) It probably isn't covid because vid doesn't make you vomit.  Plus, with all the free tests everywhere, they'd have identified it and likely said so.

B) No.  No team treats vid as anything other than a normal seasonal illness now.

My worry is there's more to his "illness" than just a virus.  3 whole weeks now and counting...
Never go full Rider!

gobombersgo

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 06, 2024, 11:38:04 PMSo is it more other teams' cuts or more scouting finds from down south?  Or a mix?

The intent of the expanded practice rosters was mainly to have a look at NFL cuts.

Teams can use it for building depth for a playoff run however. The issue is when the 30 days are up the team would need to find roster spots for the guys such as putting them on the 1 game.

gobombersgo

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 06, 2024, 02:10:23 PMA PR player costs $750 - $1,000 per game. If you add 5 additional players for 18 games that could add another $90K to the SMS.

More players in practice takes reps away from others so there is a practical aspect as well with having too many players all season.

IIRC, O. Wilson was one of the 5 added late last year. Transactions show as 10/30/23 future active.

EDIT: Note edited the SMS amount for 5 extra PR players for all 18 games.

Wilson never came to Winnipeg last year as he was signed to a futures contract.

Teams sometimes sign players near the end of the season but their contracts dont start until the following year.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.