Final roster day

Started by Blue In BC, June 01, 2024, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2024, 11:40:15 PMIf Lawson didn't get injured I'd agree. Now the question is whether we have good Canadian depth on the DL. With T. Ford starting and still possibly Kramdi, we could start 2 imports at DT. Talent seems to have been found, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Several posters wanted  Bennett last year and now he's available. I don't know if we are interested or what SMS it might require.  I might suggest Fine could be a candidate to look into as well.

You still have Smeckel, Thomas, Adamson and maybe Samson doesn't return to UBC.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 01, 2024, 11:59:21 PMYou still have Smeckel, Thomas, Adamson and maybe Samson doesn't return to UBC.

Adamson was not invited to this camp, maybe you're thinking of Kornelson?

Blue In BC

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 01, 2024, 11:59:21 PMYou still have Smeckel, Thomas, Adamson and maybe Samson doesn't return to UBC.

Schmekel may have improved since 2023 but there was a long list of posters that wanted him released.

Not sure if Samson is going back to UBC for another season. Kornelson might make the AR but he's unproven.

So we're a little light on experience on the Canadian DL choices.

Bombers and only 2 other teams lists have not shown up yet. O'Shea always seems to be the last.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Kornelson might be cut or placed in IR. I believe he was wearing a boot last week.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 02, 2024, 12:44:55 AMSchmekel may have improved since 2023 but there was a long list of posters that wanted him released.

Not sure if Samson is going back to UBC for another season. Kornelson might make the AR but he's unproven.

So we're a little light on experience on the Canadian DL choices.

Bombers and only 2 other teams lists have not shown up yet. O'Shea always seems to be the last.

I don't think much will change, Jake and Schmek on the AR and Samson on the PR if he's not going back to school.  The same depth they've had at Natl. DT the past few seasons.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 02, 2024, 12:44:55 AMBombers and only 2 other teams lists have not shown up yet. O'Shea always seems to be the last.

Is there a deadline for this?
Never go full Rider!

KINGCHARLES

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bwiser on June 01, 2024, 06:09:24 PMI guess the bombers will keep one of the quarterbacks from last night but I would bring another Qb in. Neither Qb looked like they are ready to be in the CFL.Maybe Prokop might be worth bringing in.

We need to quickly figure out what Strevie is here for.  Is it to be QB 1b?  Is it for SY?  Is it to be to be a multi-game injury replacement for Zach (QB 2?).

If Strevie is going to get dinged up doing his 2019 raging-Strevie thing, then he can't be all 3.

Figuring out what Strevie really is for us will be key to deciding who gets that last QB spot.

If you want the last QB spot to be a QB2 because you're using Strevie in a punching-bag role, then Wilson seems ok but not great.  But was Dru Brown any better as a rookie in his first PS run?

If you want to protect Strevie as our best shot at a legit #2 (and maybe Zach heir in 1-2 years), then you bring back Prukop as the league's best SY.

Under no circumstances do you bring Prukop in as the QB2 (Zach backup), as this PS has proven yet again he's Brohm-lite.  All the above can apply to the other cut QBs like Fine and Pipkin.

(There is a chance even Prukop would be beyond our $SMS$ though.)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2024, 05:51:21 PMJust looking at the fact he's only played 21 games in the last 3 seasons. That's less than half.

Wilson: ya but what does it cost us?  If we're not giving him significant signing bonuses, and he's making within 20% of ELC, and he's 6GIR half the season, then it really costs us nothing to keep him.  I guess he's become like Jeffcoat: super valuable when healthy, often tub-bound.  But I'm nearly positive Wilson has never earned anywhere near Jeffcoat's $ last year.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 02, 2024, 01:03:00 AMI don't think much will change, Jake and Schmek on the AR and Samson on the PR if he's not going back to school.  The same depth they've had at Natl. DT the past few seasons.

Lawson would have seen the most reps as the Canadian at DT. He's played 33 games. Schmekel has played 5 and as I suggested, some posters wanted him released in 2023. At best he's going to be a down grade at DT in the short term. Long term we'll see.

So saying it's the same is it's only a ratio equivalent but not a talent equivalent.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 02, 2024, 01:32:45 AMWilson: ya but what does it cost us?  If we're not giving him significant signing bonuses, and he's making within 20% of ELC, and he's 6GIR half the season, then it really costs us nothing to keep him.  I guess he's become like Jeffcoat: super valuable when healthy, often tub-bound.  But I'm nearly positive Wilson has never earned anywhere near Jeffcoat's $ last year.

It may mean we don't get to retain his replacement. Not every rookie will accept a PR spot and the number of spots is limited.

It means that the next man up when there is an injury may not be available.

I don't know what Wilson's salary is at the moment. It's the lesser issue to his ability to stay healthy and age.

He's a very good player when he's on the field.

Look around the league cuts so far today. Veterans being released. I'd say injury history has been a factor for many of them.

Actually I'd say that's the primary reason Jeffcoat was not re-signed. SMS would have been high, but injury issues sealed his fate.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on June 02, 2024, 01:25:34 AMthink midnight tonight

Thanks!  Good thing I'm always up late!  ;D  ;D
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 02, 2024, 01:31:09 AMWe need to quickly figure out what Strevie is here for.  Is it to be QB 1b?  Is it for SY?  Is it to be to be a multi-game injury replacement for Zach (QB 2?).

If Strevie is going to get dinged up doing his 2019 raging-Strevie thing, then he can't be all 3.

Figuring out what Strevie really is for us will be key to deciding who gets that last QB spot.

If you want the last QB spot to be a QB2 because you're using Strevie in a punching-bag role, then Wilson seems ok but not great.  But was Dru Brown any better as a rookie in his first PS run?

If you want to protect Strevie as our best shot at a legit #2 (and maybe Zach heir in 1-2 years), then you bring back Prukop as the league's best SY.

Under no circumstances do you bring Prukop in as the QB2 (Zach backup), as this PS has proven yet again he's Brohm-lite.  All the above can apply to the other cut QBs like Fine and Pipkin.

(There is a chance even Prukop would be beyond our $SMS$ though.)

I think Strev. came back to Wpg. on a one year deal to get his foot back in the CFL starting QB door. I don't think he'll agree to play for peanuts again next season and I don't think he's prepared to wait until Zach retires sometime in the next 5 years for his turn to start.  How this plan works out for him all depends on what he shows this season.

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 02, 2024, 02:10:23 AMI think Strev. came back to Wpg. on a one year deal to get his foot back in the CFL starting QB door. I don't think he'll agree to play for peanuts again next season and I don't think he's prepared to wait until Zach retires sometime in the next 5 years for his turn to start.  How this plan works out for him all depends on what he shows this season.

Zach is probably retiring after 2025, if I had to wager.  Sooner if there's some kind of injury bug (knock wood).  Strev only has to wait through 1 or 2 seasons.  Surely these thoughts have entered Mafia and Strevie's heads, if not outright spoken.

But ya, even if Zach plays until Tom Brady age, it does get Strevie back on the CFL carousel.
Never go full Rider!