Final roster day

Started by Blue In BC, June 01, 2024, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Lots of moving parts and lots in play today.

1. Injury status. I think we know which veterans won't be available but we might see a rookie or 2 hit the 1 game IR?

2. I don't think we'll start the season with 2 global players on the AR. If we do I think Karamoko the most probable 2nd one?

3. Ratio: T. Ford is likely going to start. Not really sure what happens with Kramdi and Cole at SAM. Both will be on the roster but which starts and how does it impact the ratio.

4. Ratio: Losing Lawson could mean we want to start 2 import interior DL. We can and I think we will.

5. DI's: Castillo and Smith will be 2. Not sure how the others will shake out based on the 1st 4 items. However, a general expectation of 2 more defensive players, possibly another DL and a LB.

Who won starting roles or DI roles? Pre -season didn't really help posters. Decisions made more in practice.

General expectation that some combination of Haba / Garbutt and Fox make the roster. Several players are in the hunt at LB.

Will there be any surprises?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BomberFan73

Will be interesting to see who of the RBs we keep.
BO might not even be ready for Game 1, so Augustine could start.
Smith likely sticks around mostly for returns.
Rosery has shown enough to keep around, and could be plugged into a WR spot
And recently drafted Chris-Ike has lots of promise

I don't want to see any of them go!

Blue In BC

We'll need to see which veterans are actually injured and not available for the 1st game or longer. Alexander, Wilson and Eli are still question marks. Even Oliveria might not be ready for game 1.

That could potentially lead to significant roster changes.

Some interesting thoughts about final roster on the other site.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2024, 03:40:05 PMWe'll need to see which veterans are actually injured and not available for the 1st game or longer. Alexander, Wilson and Eli are still question marks. Even Oliveria might not be ready for game 1.

That could potentially lead to significant roster changes.

Some interesting thoughts about final roster on the other site.

Could be a good opportunity to shake things up and experiment with structural changes to the lineup, instead of just pencilling in the most likely candidates as temp. replacements.  The ratio along the D-line could be examined as well as the future of the LB and Safety positions.

Blue In BC

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Kyrie Wilson is a surprise cut. Tre Thomas and Petrishen got all the pre season reps. Some reports about Wilson being nicked but that's one of the reasons I think he may be released.

Looking at his history, he's missed more games than he's played. He's very good when healthy but when exactly is that? Age, SMS and competition this year.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BomberFan73

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2024, 04:31:02 PMI'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Kyrie Wilson is a surprise cut. Tre Thomas and Petrishen got all the pre season reps. Some reports about Wilson being nicked but that's one of the reasons I think he may be released.

Looking at his history, he's missed more games than he's played. He's very good when healthy but when exactly is that? Age, SMS and competition this year.

I think Wilson is needed with Bighill out.  1 rookie at MLB is tough.  Rookies at both WILL&Mike would be ugly, even if Gauthier is plugged there.
Hopefully we can keep a few of the best guys around to take over nextyear.

pdirks67

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2024, 04:31:02 PMI'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Kyrie Wilson is a surprise cut. Tre Thomas and Petrishen got all the pre season reps. Some reports about Wilson being nicked but that's one of the reasons I think he may be released.

Courageous prediction. I would be shocked.

Mike

I'd be shocked but very in favour of moving on from Wilson. Petrishen isn't young either though.

Pigskin

Considering Wilson was on the field and practiced on Wednesday, not sure he is that nicked up.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Mike on June 01, 2024, 05:29:20 PMI'd be shocked but very in favour of moving on from Wilson. Petrishen isn't young either though.

Just looking at the fact he's only played 21 games in the last 3 seasons. That's less than half. Only 10 last year. Tre Thomas and Cole are possible replacements. Again, not sure what the plan for Cole will be quite yet, but Kramdi at SAM and Cole at Wil is not the worst idea either.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bwiser

I guess the bombers will keep one of the quarterbacks from last night but I would bring another Qb in. Neither Qb looked like they are ready to be in the CFL.Maybe Prokop might be worth bringing in.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2024, 05:51:21 PMJust looking at the fact he's only played 21 games in the last 3 seasons. That's less than half. Only 10 last year. Tre Thomas and Cole are possible replacements. Again, not sure what the plan for Cole will be quite yet, but Kramdi at SAM and Cole at Wil is not the worst idea either.

Don't see that happening, if they thought parting ways with Wilson was the thing to do they would have made that decision earlier out of respect for his past service.  At most I see them holding onto one or two of the new LB's one of which will be sent to the PR, Cole and Kramdi may end up sharing duties at SAM as they're both good ST players.

One or two new imports kept for the D-line unless they're prepared to replace Habba, Garbutt or Fox which I doubt, newcomer Adams looks to have one of those spots locked up at DT and Upshaw may earn a spot on the PR.  Really depends if they intend to mess with the ratio on the D-line, Samson is a Natl. DT that I'm sure they will want to develop further on the PR as he looked decent in yesterdays game.

Blueforlife

The suggestion that Wilson will be cut is really a stretch imo.  If injuries has caught up with him maybe that could happen.  I would suspect he is a key cog for this season (hope).

I can see why some might be leaning that way through due to past issues.

CrazyCanuck89

You guys are still loaded at DT, even with Lawson injured.  No need to change the ratio.

Blue In BC

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 01, 2024, 11:12:34 PMYou guys are still loaded at DT, even with Lawson injured.  No need to change the ratio.

If Lawson didn't get injured I'd agree. Now the question is whether we have good Canadian depth on the DL. With T. Ford starting and still possibly Kramdi, we could start 2 imports at DT. Talent seems to have been found, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Several posters wanted  Bennett last year and now he's available. I don't know if we are interested or what SMS it might require.  I might suggest Fine could be a candidate to look into as well.

2019 Grey Cup Champions