Official Game Day Thread - Calgary at Winnipeg - May 31, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, May 30, 2024, 02:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdand1.5

It will be a very "green" roster...but hey preseason. I am at least a tiny bit concerned with many of our starters not at least getting a couple series...but we have made the cup four years in a row so...
I am looking forward to seeing the defensive front seven. With the amount of inexperience on offence, I don't expect too many things to jump out.

I am pulling for Smith to show something on the return game, and for Moses to show that he is healthy and is still the type of impact player that he showed in his early college/pre college days.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on May 30, 2024, 05:23:05 PMAnd then our team will be asked to show up for the real thing 6 days later to play together for the very first time. I do not understand the thought process that led us here.

Well, you can use the PS as padded "live" practice for your starters, or you can use it as rookie tryouts, or you can find a balance between the two.

In recent years we've been heavily slanted towards tryouts.  I guess we can have that luxury when there are very few turnovers in the starter spots season to season.

It also might have something to do with the average age of our starters.  Do they really need 2 more games a season of taking big hits and wear & tear?

But in MOS we must trust.  He hasn't let us down yet.  I guess if I can take the liberty to sum up what the general feeling on the forum probably is, it's "but maybe we should have given Zach/starters 2 series, not 0 in PS#2".
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 30, 2024, 06:18:14 PMI see Augustine is not on the roster for this game. Rosery is 6 years younger on an ELC. That's something to watch how he does.

Johnny looked very good in PS#1.  I think he solidified his hold on RB-in-waiting.  The rookies will have to do something special to usurp his spot in week 1.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 30, 2024, 06:41:49 PMBecause contingency plans are good. We've been lucky to have a relatively healthy offensive line in recent years, but we're only two unlucky injuries away from having to start an American there.

Or we are eyeing that 3 IMP OL option.  We have the unusual flexibility of picking the best-of-the-rest for the 5th spot (OG), regardless of passport.  Of course the odds are we stick to the normal script... but Dobson/Eli might suck!
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 30, 2024, 08:31:33 PMJohnny looked very good in PS#1.  I think he solidified his hold on RB-in-waiting.  The rookies will have to do something special to usurp his spot in week 1.

I thought he looked good as well. My expectation was that Rosery would end up on the PR. That said, we might see both on the AR in different roles. It depends on a few things. Chris Smith might make the AR as a returner / RB even if that means he's not a DI ( if we still go 8 NI starters ). Or he could be a DI.

The problems for Augustine ( if there is one ) is that both Smith and Rosery are 6 years younger and both are on ELC's.  Augustine is about $110K IIRC.

Now none of those in themselves is reason to not retain Augustine, IDK. Ratio, roster size, number of Canadians we want to keep on the AR are all at play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

gobombersgo

markonfootball  @Markonfootball
Roster for @calstampeders at @Wpg_BlueBombers revealed.  Roster is heavy on evaluations as many veterans remain at home.  Among those at home, PK Rene Paredes, OL Sean McEwen, DL Julian Howsare, safety Brandon Dozier, linebackers Micah Awe and Cam Judge.

Calgary Stampeders  @calstampeders
Depth chart drop for preseason game 2

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 30, 2024, 08:34:00 PMOr we are eyeing that 3 IMP OL option.  We have the unusual flexibility of picking the best-of-the-rest for the 5th spot (OG), regardless of passport.  Of course the odds are we stick to the normal script... but Dobson/Eli might suck!

That's true and honestly some if it might be just protecting players and keeping them off the field who are already locked into their spots.

There are no ratio rules in the pre-season so why not start more Americans guards if we've got a few we want to see. Now is the time.

pdirks67

Quote from: Jesse on May 30, 2024, 05:23:05 PMI don't even agree with this.

We clearly are not allowing a competition for spots. Many of our starter have missed most or all of training camp. So new players can't compete because they aren't even being asked to play next to existing starters. So last year's squad just gets to walk in to their old spots.

And then for open spots, we're handicapping everyone by putting them on an island. receivers will see less looks, OL will be a constantly rotating cast, the defense will have zero cohesion and missed assignments all over the place.

And then our team will be asked to show up for the real thing 6 days later to play together for the very first time. I do not understand the thought process that led us here.

O'Shea said himself in his interview today that some of the veterans may have played if we had more than 6 days until the first regular season game. In a perfect world, yes, it would be nice to see more vets playing. But given the schedule, I'm good seeing all rookies. Very few would be in a position to challenge for a starting spot where we have a proven vet anyway. With an 18 game regular season, I don't want any of our stars to get banged up early-on.

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: kkc60 on May 30, 2024, 04:44:20 PMI agree, not going to be too exciting of a game (are preseason games really ever?) but I do like the even playing field for Wilson and Grainger, and a good bit of opportunity for every player fighting to make the roster.

Not really an even playing field when Wilson has had a couple more weeks longer than Grainger to learn the CFL game.  Liked what Wilson did in the first pre-season game, my mind is already made up.  ;D

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 30, 2024, 11:35:54 PMThere are no ratio rules in the pre-season so why not start more Americans guards if we've got a few we want to see. Now is the time.

Is that really true?  I have never heard that.  I didn't notice any big lack of NATs in the other PS games... wouldn't the teams/coaches want to also test out their ability to keep live track of the ratio, as they must in "real" games?

I guess it makes sense, as who cares in PS, but it's still news to me.
Never go full Rider!

BomberFan73

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 31, 2024, 04:27:01 AMNot really an even playing field when Wilson has had a couple more weeks longer than Grainger to learn the CFL game.  Liked what Wilson did in the first pre-season game, my mind is already made up.  ;D

Wilson for sure has a big advantage on the #3 right now. Hopefully they both put together a couple good drives so we can actually get multiple players getting touches & making plays.  I'm expecting quite a few struggles though.

Blue In BC

Grainger probably ends up on the PR so we can get a longer look. After all he's just 23 and needs to adjust to being a pro, learning the CFL game etc etc. Can't expect him to do that in such a short time.

Due to losses in free agency, retirements and injuries we have several roster spots up for grabs. Looking forward to seeing what the rookies will bring in these fierce competitions.  With so many veterans sitting out, it may be difficult to assess what some players achieve. It will require review of the game film by coaches and TC evaluations. Those will be more significant information than pre season games only.

We all know our offence is going to be excellent regardless of some final selections for a new receiver or OL.

I'll be more interested to watch play on the defensive side of the ball.  It appears we will have 6 new starters due to injuries to 3 starters: Bighill, Parker and Lawson.

Reports from TC suggest we've found some very good young talent but which win the starters roles is not necessarily obvious to us posters. Most of us can't even attend practice.

Looking forward to watching the game tonight. GO BOMBERS.  I'm not basing a win as a must but hope we can at least be competitive and minimize mistakes and blown assignments.

The depth chart doesn't show any starters from 2023 playing and only a few that were even with the team last year. Let's hope we don't lose anybody we expect to win a role suffering a new injury.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

DT's as Schmekel and Fox.  Has an interesting ring to it.  Schmekel and Fox, could be a cop buddy movie, or a law firm, or a burger restaurant, or a DT pairing...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.