Official Game Day Thread - Calgary at Winnipeg - May 31, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, May 30, 2024, 02:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BomberFan73 on June 02, 2024, 08:28:00 PMWhen jerks are on the field, I take my ball home - yup. Have a good one.

The forum can be a rough place, waaaay worse than what is posted in this thread.  And BinBC is one of the least offensive posters here.  He's right that you need to chillaxe a bit because there's going to be heat and controversy sometimes.

I mention this because I was new once and it can be disheartening and demeaning and make you want to quit if you're not an old hand.  But don't, you'll find a way to FI with out FO, and we don't all have to be signing kumbaya all the time.  I should know...

So don't let it get you down.  If someone asks "why", tell them.  It's far better to get a "why" than a "shut up your thread is useless".  BinBC is geniuine.

Just my 2c in the hopes of being helpful.

As for IMP Ford, I thought he was a cut based on what I saw, but he also did ok a few times and was generally sound in what he was doing.  If we were more hard-up for talent we probably keep him.  From my vantage point I, like TLB/BinBC, thought he was a lot like Hackett; and personally I liked McGhee more (and Mafia agreed).  And we always have his number... should the need arise.  Who knows, he could still get a 2025 TC invite.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 03, 2024, 07:37:20 AMAs for IMP Ford, I thought he was a cut based on what I saw, but he also did ok a few times and was generally sound in what he was doing.  If we were more hard-up for talent we probably keep him.  From my vantage point I, like TLB/BinBC, thought he was a lot like Hackett; and personally I liked McGhee more (and Mafia agreed).  And we always have his number... should the need arise.  Who knows, he could still get a 2025 TC invite.

I'm not saying this is the case with Ford, but it's important to remember that the team has much more intimate knowledge of the player than we do attending a few TCs and watching preseason games.

The reality is almost all of the players we bring in have set records and been star athletes in their previous programs. They're all very good football players.

How do they fit in in the locker room? What kind of attitude do they have day in day out? Do they party a lot? How serious are they about this opportunity? About getting better?

We can't answer those but the Bombers sure can and do.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 03, 2024, 12:14:09 PMI'm not saying this is the case with Ford, but it's important to remember that the team has much more intimate knowledge of the player than we do attending a few TCs and watching preseason games.

The reality is almost all of the players we bring in have set records and been star athletes in their previous programs. They're all very good football players.

How do they fit in in the locker room? What kind of attitude do they have day in day out? Do they party a lot? How serious are they about this opportunity? About getting better?

We can't answer those but the Bombers sure can and do.

Some players that were cut probably played well and looked ok in practice as well. It's a numbers game. I think we cut 10 DB's in total. So it's an assessment of others playing better than the next guy below him. Of the import DB's we don't know if Ford was next in line to be kept or the 1st one out the door.

29 players released outright and another 12 to the PR. Each player wants an opportunity and many are released multiple times before finding the right chance to shine.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BomberFan73

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 03, 2024, 07:37:20 AMThe forum can be a rough place, waaaay worse than what is posted in this thread.  And BinBC is one of the least offensive posters here.  He's right that you need to chillaxe a bit because there's going to be heat and controversy sometimes.

I mention this because I was new once and it can be disheartening and demeaning and make you want to quit if you're not an old hand.  But don't, you'll find a way to FI with out FO, and we don't all have to be signing kumbaya all the time.  I should know...

So don't let it get you down.  If someone asks "why", tell them.  It's far better to get a "why" than a "shut up your thread is useless".  BinBC is geniuine.

Just my 2c in the hopes of being helpful.

As for IMP Ford, I thought he was a cut based on what I saw, but he also did ok a few times and was generally sound in what he was doing.  If we were more hard-up for talent we probably keep him.  From my vantage point I, like TLB/BinBC, thought he was a lot like Hackett; and personally I liked McGhee more (and Mafia agreed).  And we always have his number... should the need arise.  Who knows, he could still get a 2025 TC invite.

First of all, I have been reading this board for over 10 years and I'm very familiar with the posters here.
For example, I know you took flack when you first started posting.  But I liked your posts.  Most on here are good posters.
Second, as I have said multiple times, I am done talking about that particular player.  :)

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 03, 2024, 01:26:26 PMSome players that were cut probably played well and looked ok in practice as well. It's a numbers game. I think we cut 10 DB's in total. So it's an assessment of others playing better than the next guy below him. Of the import DB's we don't know if Ford was next in line to be kept or the 1st one out the door.

29 players released outright and another 12 to the PR. Each player wants an opportunity and many are released multiple times before finding the right chance to shine.

Many suggested Chris Smith made the team as soon as he returned that punt for a TD, I knew better. I missed that play and have yet to see a replay of it, so my take on Chris Brown is he did next to nothing to earn a spot on the team as he looked pretty mediocre running the ball.

I distinctly recall a Bomber DB in a pre-season game within the last 2 years making a super play returning a long interception for a TD, only to be cut the very next day. People had the same reaction, it's almost a curse, look for the shiniest star to be the first on the bus out of town the next day!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 03, 2024, 05:10:02 PMMany suggested Chris Smith made the team as soon as he returned that kickoff for a TD, I knew better. I missed that play and have yet to see a replay of it, so my take on Chris Brown is he did next to nothing to earn a spot on the team as he looked pretty mediocre running the ball.

I distinctly recall a Bomber DB in a pre-season game within the last 2 years making a super play returning a long interception for a TD, only to be cut the very next day. People had the same reaction, it's almost a curse, look for the shiniest star to be the first on the bus out of town the next day!

Regarding C. Smith. He didn't look like much of a threat running in either pre season game. That said, the offence fielded nearly all rookies across the board. Dobson was the only player from 2023 that played in the game. Nobody looked good running.

I have no idea what Smith looked like in TC but doubt his release was based solely on those 2 game. As reported he got nicked and was released as a result. At least in part.

We often see a player that makes a great play or more in exhibition get released very early. Ironic.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 03, 2024, 05:10:02 PMMany suggested Chris Smith made the team as soon as he returned that kickoff for a TD, I knew better. I missed that play and have yet to see a replay of it, so my take on Chris Brown is he did next to nothing to earn a spot on the team as he looked pretty mediocre running the ball.

I remember Jack Gotta (old Ottawa coach for the kids here) telling a story how he once got mad and chewed out a player for making him look bad. What did he do? Well, he caught a touchdown pass in the final preseason game (4 in those days) AFTER he had already made up his mind to cut him.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

bunker

I find every year I get excited about one or two players (Pigrome last year, Chris Smith this year) who don't seem to work out and are cut. Maybe I can't recognize talent, maybe like SB&G says, I'm missing lots that flies under the radar. Probably a bit of both. I can't seriously get upset with the bombers' decisions though. Its our right ( and lots of fun) to question things, but a bit ridiculous for someone to seriously question decisions on players by the coaches and GMs. They have years of experience, have multiple people evaluating these players in multiple practices and on film, and have an intimate knowledge of what the team needs. I played high school football 40 years ago, saw one day at training camp, and watched a narrow view of 2 pre-season games. It not to say they are always right, but the odds that I (or any poster) is going to do a better job of evaluating which players to cut or keep is very small.

Blueforlife

Thursday a high of 12, dress warm everyone, will get nippy by half time.

ichabod_crane

Well don't complain too much as will be -10C at least come playoff time! :D

ModAdmin

I find it very fascinating and intriguing that we rested many of our regulars, including ZC08 and most of our projected starting team, during the pre-season games prior to game 1 against the Grey Cup champs.

In the big picture, winning or losing the first regular season game may not be important, but winning this game against Montreal would be a huge stepping stone and motivation for the Bombers going forward.  I certainly trust the coaches on this decision but still find it a bit.  Being a home game certainly helps.  A house full of fans will help too!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BomberFan73 on June 03, 2024, 01:53:42 PMFirst of all, I have been reading this board for over 10 years and I'm very familiar with the posters here.
For example, I know you took flack when you first started posting.  But I liked your posts.

Ah, a lurker (or semi-lurker)!  Ya, I lurked quite a long time before joining, maybe 1-2 years?  I'd have to go check.  I lurked until some player/play/decision miffed me enough to have to air my beef  :D  :D

Nothing wrong with mostly-reading!

(And thanks for the compliment!)   8)  Cheers
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 04, 2024, 12:42:42 AMThursday a high of 12, dress warm everyone, will get nippy by half time.

I'm seeing 17 (who knows with these bad/crazy forecasters), but it'll probably be 12 by KO.  Ouch.  But at least no rain!!  And us 'Peggers don't care about 12.  Just means no shorts unless you really want to prove your manliness by 4th Q  :D  :D

I've spent enough CFL games freezing my butt off to know you pack for the worst case temp.   ;D  ;D  The key will be the hourly forecast going into 11pm.  It's showing can't get lower than 8, so that's not too bad, but the wind might be >30km/h for us 200-levels.

Good thing we've mostly sold out the game well in advance before the forecast turned south!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 04, 2024, 06:50:31 AMI find it very fascinating and intriguing that we rested many of our regulars, including ZC08 and most of our projected starting team, during the pre-season games prior to game 1 against the Grey Cup champs.

Ya, not the way many of us armchair-HCs would have done it.

Might it have been the massive spate of injuries in TC to starters (and backups) that spooked MOS?  I wonder.

Even if you are thinking "they are all 4X-in-a-row GC-goers they know how to play together", it always seems prudent to give them a series to get back into go-time mode!?

The funny thing is, the O is so consistent and unchanged I'm not worried about them too much, but on D it's massive changes across the board... yet we didn't field our starting D either.

MTL played their starting lineups heavily in PS1, and they looked sharp.  And I didn't see any of them get injured.  So +1 bonus to them.  Their massively-young lineup makes me feel old about our team, and them playing while our starters sit in the old-folks home makes me feel we're even older...

I guess we shall see if it works out!?  If our O can instantly click and put up 53, it won't matter what the D does.
Never go full Rider!