Official Game Day Thread - Calgary at Winnipeg - May 31, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, May 30, 2024, 02:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Final tune up of the team before the regular season.  Jobs will be won and lost by rookies and possibly some veterans in the Calgary game while the "regulars" will solidify their positions.

A pre-season game but important to the entire team.

Zach Collaros will not play and Chris Streveler is unlikely to play as well leaving Terry Wilson and Darren Grainger fighting for the 3rd quarterback position.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/29/48-hour-primer-preseason-2/

Some position battles to watch...

Defensive End
Defensive Tackle
Defensive Back
Wide Receiver
Offensive Guard
Kick Returner

Don't forget to attend the Princess Auto Pre-Game Tailgate with $5.00 beer, $3.50 Hotdogs and $3.50 Fountain Drinks.

Blue Bomber football is back!!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

Kick return will be interesting.

Vann: 5-10, 190, 4.42/40.

Cruickshank: 5-9, 165, 4.56/40.

Both looked pretty quick today in practice.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

WR: #71 Sy Barnett is a guy I will be watching closely. Kid was outstanding today.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ModAdmin

Agree on 71.  He was outstanding yesterday.  Definitely in the mix.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on May 30, 2024, 03:47:49 AMWR: #71 Sy Barnett is a guy I will be watching closely. Kid was outstanding today.   

Going to be real hard to evaluate receivers with only rookies in at QB.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

Haven't heard a lot about Barnett prior to today, but he sure has the athleticism, 4.4  40 speed, 40inch vertical. Rushed as well as recieved passes, Returned kicks and was also a punter with a 42 yard average.
talk about swiss army knife

kkc60

Quote from: Jesse on May 30, 2024, 03:12:03 PMGoing to be real hard to evaluate receivers with only rookies in at QB.
I agree, not going to be too exciting of a game (are preseason games really ever?) but I do like the even playing field for Wilson and Grainger, and a good bit of opportunity for every player fighting to make the roster.

Jesse

Quote from: kkc60 on May 30, 2024, 04:44:20 PMI agree, not going to be too exciting of a game (are preseason games really ever?) but I do like the even playing field for Wilson and Grainger, and a good bit of opportunity for every player fighting to make the roster.

I don't even agree with this.

We clearly are not allowing a competition for spots. Many of our starter have missed most or all of training camp. So new players can't compete because they aren't even being asked to play next to existing starters. So last year's squad just gets to walk in to their old spots.

And then for open spots, we're handicapping everyone by putting them on an island. receivers will see less looks, OL will be a constantly rotating cast, the defense will have zero cohesion and missed assignments all over the place.

And then our team will be asked to show up for the real thing 6 days later to play together for the very first time. I do not understand the thought process that led us here.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on May 30, 2024, 05:23:05 PMI don't even agree with this.

We clearly are not allowing a competition for spots. Many of our starter have missed most or all of training camp. So new players can't compete because they aren't even being asked to play next to existing starters. So last year's squad just gets to walk in to their old spots.

And then for open spots, we're handicapping everyone by putting them on an island. receivers will see less looks, OL will be a constantly rotating cast, the defense will have zero cohesion and missed assignments all over the place.

And then our team will be asked to show up for the real thing 6 days later to play together for the very first time. I do not understand the thought process that led us here.
Well that is one way to look at it.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Quote from: kkc60 on May 30, 2024, 04:44:20 PMI agree, not going to be too exciting of a game (are preseason games really ever?) but I do like the even playing field for Wilson and Grainger, and a good bit of opportunity for every player fighting to make the roster.

Having 3rd and 4th string QB's really doesn't help WR, RB or even Oline a lot... any of them making a good showing *in spite of* the QB might be a leg up for them... "If I can do THIS with a backup, imagine with Zach..."
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on May 30, 2024, 05:23:05 PMI don't even agree with this.

Many of our starters who have missed all or most of camp:
Nic Demski
Brady Oliveira
Pat Neufeld
Brandon Alexander
Adam Bighill (injured in camp)
Jamal Parker (injured in camp)
Cameron Lawson (injured in pre-season game one)

Not sure what making those guys do a full camp especially if they're not 100% would do? Less starters in camp means more reps for new players and more evaluation time. Unless you mean less starters playing in pre-season games? It may be harder for us to evaluate players when the offense is struggling but coaches are well versed in doing this. It's how training camp mostly works in the NFL too. They are used to evaluating players without a full cast of starters. That's their job and the Bombers are pretty good at it.

Name a couple rookie players we've cut in recent years who have gone on to have lots of success elsewhere?

Blue In BC

Looks like about 11 rookie import receivers fighting for a role on the team. A few posters have mentioned some " favourites " but things can change quickly. Don't get injured and don't make mistakes. If you can make a big play, even better.

I see Augustine is not on the roster for this game. Rosery is 6 years younger on an ELC. That's something to watch how he does.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Not sure why we are starting American OT's at guard, guessing its better than not seeing them at all.. I hope Okeke gets some good reps in, I'm not sure that I want Lofton (31) starting at RT... if the Riders though he was good enough, they would not have spent so much on Hardrick... and it would be nice to get a younger guy to develop...

Who knows, different system, etc... but still.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on May 30, 2024, 06:33:51 PMNot sure why we are starting American OT's at guard, guessing its better than not seeing them at all.. I hope Okeke gets some good reps in, I'm not sure that I want Lofton (31) starting at RT... if the Riders though he was good enough, they would not have spent so much on Hardrick... and it would be nice to get a younger guy to develop...

Who knows, different system, etc... but still.

Because contingency plans are good. We've been lucky to have a relatively healthy offensive line in recent years, but we're only two unlucky injuries away from having to start an American there.