Calgary @ Winnipeg.

Started by Pigskin, May 26, 2024, 07:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Looks like ZC8 will not play in Friday nights game.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Funny, every other team makes a big effort to win the PS @home, but for a few years we have done the opposite.

Ya, it's the smart move -- the MOS move -- but it's not great for the fans.  Give them some confidence going into week 1 with a "win".  AND sell those last few ST to marginal fans.

Maybe we don't need to sell any more ST in 2024  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D

If they aren't dressing Strevie either, then it'll be a tough game to win, unless Wilson is the 2nd coming.  Even worse, TSN said Dickenson The Greater stated he was going to use the PS to get his core starters/team to gel, rather than glorified tryouts.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 30, 2024, 03:54:15 AMFunny, every other team makes a big effort to win the PS @home, but for a few years we have done the opposite.

Ya, it's the smart move -- the MOS move -- but it's not great for the fans.  Give them some confidence going into week 1 with a "win".  AND sell those last few ST to marginal fans.

If they aren't dressing Strevie either, then it'll be a tough game to win, unless Wilson is the 2nd coming.  Even worse, TSN said Dickenson The Greater stated he was going to use the PS to get his core starters/team to gel, rather than glorified tryouts.
PS is for evaluation, winning means nothing

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on May 30, 2024, 04:47:41 AMPS is for evaluation, winning means nothing

Do you feel better leaving IGF/PAS after winning a PS or losing it??  Now, imagine you're a kid in the stands who doesn't understand it's "just a PS".  Imagine the few holdouts thinking "should I buy a ST this year or not?" after we just lost PS#2 by 50 points...

It is evaluation, and we here know that, but losing (especially badly) is not without consequence.  It is a fact that the teams try harder in their home PS game, mainly by leaving their starters in longer.  Also, for the home game teams can dress everyone they want without having to fly everyone out and pay for hotels.

So far this PS the home teams are 3-2, but those 2 are a bad-looking HAM that tried really hard by leaving BLM in an entire half, and EDM, which needs no explanation -- they are just EDM.  I bet by the time the PS is over the home teams have won 66%-75%.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 30, 2024, 03:54:15 AMFunny, every other team makes a big effort to win the PS @home, but for a few years we have done the opposite.

My understanding is CS17 will not play tomorrow.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 30, 2024, 09:41:45 PMMy understanding is CS17 will not play tomorrow.

Yup, I just watched the MOS May 30 presser.  Funny, someone (Tait?) asked him the exact question I was posing about dressing/playing starters to give the fans something to cheer about and a better chance at a win.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/30/coach-oshea-may-30-3/

Oh well, we'll all enjoy watching all the new guys, just like MOS says...  8)
Never go full Rider!

BomberFan73

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 30, 2024, 08:42:09 PMDo you feel better leaving IGF/PAS after winning a PS or losing it??  Now, imagine you're a kid in the stands who doesn't understand it's "just a PS".  Imagine the few holdouts thinking "should I buy a ST this year or not?" after we just lost PS#2 by 50 points...

It is evaluation, and we here know that, but losing (especially badly) is not without consequence.  It is a fact that the teams try harder in their home PS game, mainly by leaving their starters in longer.  Also, for the home game teams can dress everyone they want without having to fly everyone out and pay for hotels.

So far this PS the home teams are 3-2, but those 2 are a bad-looking HAM that tried really hard by leaving BLM in an entire half, and EDM, which needs no explanation -- they are just EDM.  I bet by the time the PS is over the home teams have won 66%-75%.

I have to agree.  For those fans in the seats, I don't think they care much about evaluation.  They want to see celebrate TDs and walk out winners.
Clubs should 1/2 price PS games since most wouldn't even know a single player in this lineup

TBURGESS

I don't like giving all the rookies the second pre-season game. I'd like us to use the starters for a quarter to get their game timing down. 

I don't care about the battle for 3 string QB. If we need to start them, then we've lost Collaros and Streveler and the game is probably lost anyway. 

I don't care about the battle for the PR spots. I care about game reps for the starters. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TBURGESS on May 31, 2024, 02:59:40 PMI don't like giving all the rookies the second pre-season game. I'd like us to use the starters for a quarter to get their game timing down.

I don't care about the battle for 3 string QB. If we need to start them, then we've lost Collaros and Streveler and the game is probably lost anyway.

I don't care about the battle for the PR spots. I care about game reps for the starters.

Thanks for sharing what you don't care about. We all care very much!

TecnoGenius

Haha hahaha hahahahaha

Game tracker still doesn't work on the cfl.ca site!!  Hahaha.  It didn't work all last year and it's still busted after (another) full off-season.  Don't they have any geniuses working at Genius sports??  Holy smokes, give me a call!!   ;D

https://www.cfl.ca/games/6398/winnipeg-blue%20bombers-vs-calgary-stampeders

So where do I get the depth charts??  No, I don't want to twatter or delayagram.  I want a chart on cfl.ca or bluebombers.com, in a place I can find every week without spending 1 hour.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024-depth-position-charts/

No chart for the PS here...

Shameful.

Oh look, even poop-for-a-stadium CGY has their charts up:
https://www.stampeders.com/game-notes/
And lo and behold it's at the same URL as last year meaning all my bookmarks still work without modification (WPG one doesn't).  At least one team is doing it right.

I forgive WFC because this is really a job for the league, and the league web site.  There should be 1 official page that can get a quick link to every depth chart 24 hours before kickoff, and it should be easy to find and reliable.  This literally should be the easiest thing to do out of all Genius is trying to do.

Miffed.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 31, 2024, 09:00:37 PMHaha hahaha hahahahaha

Game tracker still doesn't work on the cfl.ca site!!  Hahaha.  It didn't work all last year and it's still busted after (another) full off-season.  Don't they have any geniuses working at Genius sports??  Holy smokes, give me a call!!   ;D

So where do I get the depth charts??  No, I don't want to twatter or delayagram.  I want a chart on cfl.ca or bluebombers.com, in a place I can find every week without spending 1 hour.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024-depth-position-charts/

No chart for the PS here...

Shameful.

Oh look, even poop-for-a-stadium CGY has their charts up:
https://www.stampeders.com/game-notes/
And lo and behold it's at the same URL as last year meaning all my bookmarks still work without modification (WPG one doesn't).  At least one team is doing it right.

I forgive WFC because this is really a job for the league, and the league web site.  There should be 1 official page that can get a quick link to every depth chart 24 hours before kickoff, and it should be easy to find and reliable.  This literally should be the easiest thing to do out of all Genius is trying to do.

Miffed.

It's on page 2 of the Official game day thread including charts for both teams.

I don't know whether those were posted on CFL.CA for pre season in the past. So it may be an issue as might the game tracking info in live time.

At least they've fixed the roster transaction activity which was a mess last year.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 31, 2024, 09:08:02 PMIt's on page 2 of the Official game day thread including charts for both teams.

Useful for the few uberfans on this forum.  Not useful in the slightest for casual fans going to cfl.ca looking for information.  Or bb.com for that matter.

I shouldn't have to read 2 pages of fan forum posts hoping for a chart link!  I'm just flabbergasted this is still a problem after moaning about it all of last year.  The excuse was "Genius Sports is slow", ya well, 6 months of off-season and here we are again.

But hey, at least they have a pretty field graphic in javascript on the gametracker page that does absolutely nothing... and it doesn't work in firefox.

AND THEY STILL CALL IT IG Field AT THE TOP!!!  HAHAHAHAHAH  Geniuses
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 31, 2024, 06:27:05 PMThanks for sharing what you don't care about. We all care very much!
Everyone cares about the players that likely won't even make the team? A bunch will be gone by Monday and some will get PR spots. 
I'd rather use this game as a warm up for the first season game. Give the vets the first quarter, then give the guys who have an outside chance a chance to make the team. 
Quite frankly, the coaches already know who 90-95% of the team are going to be. We're wasting an opportunity to get everyone up to game speed. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 31, 2024, 09:21:11 PMUseful for the few uberfans on this forum.  Not useful in the slightest for casual fans going to cfl.ca looking for information.  Or bb.com for that matter.

I shouldn't have to read 2 pages of fan forum posts hoping for a chart link!  I'm just flabbergasted this is still a problem after moaning about it all of last year.  The excuse was "Genius Sports is slow", ya well, 6 months of off-season and here we are again.

But hey, at least they have a pretty field graphic in javascript on the gametracker page that does absolutely nothing... and it doesn't work in firefox.

AND THEY STILL CALL IT IG Field AT THE TOP!!!  HAHAHAHAHAH  Geniuses

I'm not disagreeing but I don't remember an issue with finding depth charts on CFL.CA for regular season games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pdirks67

Quote from: BomberFan73 on May 31, 2024, 12:03:12 PMI have to agree.  For those fans in the seats, I don't think they care much about evaluation.  They want to see celebrate TDs and walk out winners.
Clubs should 1/2 price PS games since most wouldn't even know a single player in this lineup

I think there's a mix of fans. Some are probably out here to see a win. I always look forward to seeing what the young guys can do. I'd like to see a win, but it's secondary.