Calgary @ Winnipeg.

Started by Pigskin, May 26, 2024, 07:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 28, 2024, 03:14:27 PMCoach on the sideline won't be much help when **** goes down on the field and they have to adapt. Clements was trained to replace Bighill and they let him fly out the window like a bird.  Before Bighill they had a couple of very athletic candidates for MLB, I think one was Kyle Knox, he never did pan out because he couldn't process the assignments quick enough.  They eventually reverted back to Sam Hurl who had spent the previous year playing only ST after stumbling through his first year in blue at MLB.  Hurl had played in Sask. previously but don't believe he was ever a starter.

I think if we had of signed Clements, we would still be in the same situation Clements ended up retiring to follow a different path outside of football. I think the Bombers knew he was leaning in that direction. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Interesting bit from a piece about Malik:

"I want to be back in that type of culture," he said. "That culture is different in Winnipeg, it's like a family."

His off-season plans including training, possibly a job in case management in Columbus and trying to move his Danville outreach program forward with partners and supporters that include family members.

https://cardinalnews.org/2023/12/20/danvilles-malik-clements-uses-canadian-football-career-to-promote-mental-health/

Sounds like he's the kind of guy that won't stand for the crap Kelly pulled off, or want to play for a team that covered it up.

Maybe we can get him back, if he still wants to play.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

I'm not worried about MLB. Bighill isn't the same guy he used to be, it might actually help us to get someone more athletic in there.
My wife is amazing!

kkc60

Quote from: Jesse on May 28, 2024, 05:09:56 PMI'm not worried about MLB. Bighill isn't the same guy he used to be, it might actually help us to get someone more athletic in there.
I agree. Bighill looked a step behind at times last year, mental gaffes may arise without him but athleticism should help correct them

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 28, 2024, 03:14:27 PMClements was trained to replace Bighill and they let him fly out the window like a bird..

He was...?

His being unretained via free agency seems to fly in the face of that claim.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 28, 2024, 03:38:22 PMFly out the window like a bird?  When you are a FA, you have the right to sign wherever you want, and we had Bighill under contract, so you cannot stop Clements from "flying like a bird" without cutting Bighill...

Why Clements is on the retired list now at 27, and is he actually retired, or doesn't want to be a part of the Argo/Kelly debacle, and whether we should be looking at whether he is available is anther question.  Yes, he bailed on the team and signed with the Argo's, but again, the Argos need a starting MLB, and we have Biggie under contract for at least another year, so you can't fault that decision.

If he comes out of retirement then he's under contact in Toronto. Regardless we needed to move on IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 28, 2024, 06:07:15 PMHe was...?

His being unretained via free agency seems to fly in the face of that claim.

You can't retain a player if you don't have the money to do so, Grant, Jeffcoat, Bailey, Clements, Gray. None of them wanted to play for less money than they were earning last season, so they went elsewhere or quit football entirely.  Tah Da!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 28, 2024, 07:41:07 PMYou can't retain a player if you don't have the money to do so, Grant, Jeffcoat, Bailey, Clements, Gray. None of them wanted to play for less money than they were earning last season, so they went elsewhere or quit football entirely.  Tah Da!

It would stand to reason, though, that if the team were high enough on a player to retain, they'd have found a way. My point being: Clements was ostensibly deemed expendable.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 28, 2024, 06:24:43 PMIf he comes out of retirement then he's under contact in Toronto. Regardless we needed to move on IMO.

Of course, but you can trade a neg list player or a late round DP for him if he wants to come back, and we have a space for him with the Bighill $SMS savings...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 28, 2024, 10:17:16 PMOf course, but you can trade a neg list player or a late round DP for him if he wants to come back, and we have a space for him with the Bighill $SMS savings...

Why would we want him back?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 28, 2024, 10:19:16 PMWhy would we want him back?

-They don't need a ratio option.
-He's more mobile than Gauthier.
-He's better suited to MLB than Cole due to his size.
-He has more experience than any of the rookie imports lining up to play MLB.

But no, they won't bring him back as he's now moved on from football.  Only Shawn Lemon has second thoughts.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Pigskin on May 28, 2024, 03:40:33 PMI think if we had of signed Clements, we would still be in the same situation Clements ended up retiring to follow a different path outside of football. I think the Bombers knew he was leaning in that direction.

So why does he sign a FA contract with the Argos earlier this year and then quits soon after? Seems a bit strange.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: kkc60 on May 28, 2024, 05:16:22 PMI agree. Bighill looked a step behind at times last year, mental gaffes may arise without him but athleticism should help correct them

Biggie definitely lost a step or half step last season. Whether from a nagging injury or just age. He got burned for a td in the grey cup game as he was not fully healthy there too.

theaardvark

Quote from: ichabod_crane on May 28, 2024, 11:34:53 PMSo why does he sign a FA contract with the Argos earlier this year and then quits soon after? Seems a bit strange.

Exactly... mere months ago he wasn't "moving on from football", and then the Kelly crap surfaces, and he's done?

I would not be surprised, if a better option doesn't present itself, if Walters doesn't make a call...

Pigskin

I am hoping we see Wilson for a full half. And, some of that time with most of our starting OL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.