Kramdi 13th highest paid DB?

Started by TecnoGenius, May 15, 2024, 12:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/13/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-defensive-backs-for-the-2024-season/

Wow.  I would have guessed he wouldn't even make the list.  $125k hard money, says 3down.  I have no idea where they get all this detailed info, but for now I'll take their word for it.

To put this in persepective, Houston is getting $129 hard money from CGY, and we're paying our top DB Nichols $140 hard money.

So that means we value Kramdi at just $15k less than Nichols?!  Wild!!  Are we so inept at SAM IMP scouting that we pay a big premium to start a NAT at SAM?  The only other SAM on the list is OTT's (nee TOR's) Pickett, who is grossly overpaid at $165k.

I'm guessing most teams are paying their SAMs around $100k, if not ELC.  Here's hoping the NAT gamble pays off big time in '24 and we get Leggett-type performance!
Never go full Rider!

kkc60

A Canadian SAM that is starting quality is rare. Of course he's gonna be expensive to have. But obviously the team values him as a starter (especially a Canadian one) so that's gonna come with a price tag.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: kkc60 on May 15, 2024, 02:17:27 AMA Canadian SAM that is starting quality is rare. Of course he's gonna be expensive to have. But obviously the team values him as a starter (especially a Canadian one) so that's gonna come with a price tag.

Yes, from Kramdi's perspective he's a ratio buster, from the Bombers perspective he becomes an easy cut if they go looking for places to save money down the road.  I believe this is what happened to Gray, bargained and received a good salary on contract renewal, which inevitably made him vulnerable to being replaced by a cheaper option. Bet you never see Neufeld's name on that top salary list, he knows the danger of asking for too much!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 15, 2024, 12:59:13 AMhttps://3downnation.com/2024/05/13/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-defensive-backs-for-the-2024-season/

Wow.  I would have guessed he wouldn't even make the list.  $125k hard money, says 3down.  I have no idea where they get all this detailed info, but for now I'll take their word for it.

To put this in persepective, Houston is getting $129 hard money from CGY, and we're paying our top DB Nichols $140 hard money.

So that means we value Kramdi at just $15k less than Nichols?!  Wild!!  Are we so inept at SAM IMP scouting that we pay a big premium to start a NAT at SAM?  The only other SAM on the list is OTT's (nee TOR's) Pickett, who is grossly overpaid at $165k.

I'm guessing most teams are paying their SAMs around $100k, if not ELC.  Here's hoping the NAT gamble pays off big time in '24 and we get Leggett-type performance!

This is the downside of the ratio. There is no way that Kramdi and Houston should be making similar money and an American DB who did Kramdi's job would be getting $85-90k.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 15, 2024, 01:17:01 PMThis is the downside of the ratio. There is no way that Kramdi and Houston should be making similar money and an American DB who did Kramdi's job would be getting $85-90k.

Exactly.  I get it that NATs are worth more pound for pound, but usually the ones that will make the "top paid" lists are actual very good / superstar NATs, like Neufeld/Desjar/Chungh.  Not still-feeling-it-out maybe-the-guy-going-forward-maybe-not Kramdi.

And this is no dig on Kramdi either, he seems likeable and seems competent and may turn into Moe, who knows.  But he's not there yet.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

BLUEBOMBER

Hope he is worth every penny... So far, the Bombers have spent their money wisely... hope this continues.

BomberFan73

Supply and demand.  Lots of American DBs out there, not many quality Canadian ones.

theaardvark

Kramdi is a player that much of the time you notice by not noticing. 

But when you do notice, its worth noting, usually.

He hits big, he covers the SAM position very well, and seemed to get better every game.

Many NAT starters are "good enough" to start, and maintain that level until they are outplayed for the position.  I think Kramdi is not going to be one of those types of starters.  I tink he will continue to improve, and I do not know what kind of ceiling he has.

So, investing a little extra in him now, not an issue.  Sure, we have 8 or 9 starting Nats, so we don't *have* to pay as much a premium for a ratio buster, but its not much of a premium that we are paying.  Compared to a Nat Olineman, or a Nat RB, or a Nat DL starter, Kramdi is a deal and a half.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on May 16, 2024, 03:06:26 PMKramdi is a player that much of the time you notice by not noticing. 

But when you do notice, its worth noting, usually.

He hits big, he covers the SAM position very well, and seemed to get better every game.

Many NAT starters are "good enough" to start, and maintain that level until they are outplayed for the position.  I think Kramdi is not going to be one of those types of starters.  I tink he will continue to improve, and I do not know what kind of ceiling he has.

So, investing a little extra in him now, not an issue.  Sure, we have 8 or 9 starting Nats, so we don't *have* to pay as much a premium for a ratio buster, but its not much of a premium that we are paying.  Compared to a Nat Olineman, or a Nat RB, or a Nat DL starter, Kramdi is a deal and a half.

They're looking for a spot for Bryan Cole trying him out in various positions, he could potentially end up at SAM or Safety, so Kramdi might end up as a backup + playing ST's much like Shayne Gauthier.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 16, 2024, 03:36:21 PMThey're looking for a spot for Bryan Cole trying him out in various positions, he could potentially end up at SAM or Safety, so Kramdi might end up as a backup + playing ST's much like Shayne Gauthier.

I don't think they will move Kramdi to a back up role with that kind of salary. That said, I think they will look to having more depth at SAM and several rookies as well as Cole may fill that role as a DI in 2024.

The catch is what if they find a better import at SAM than Kramdi, what do they really do?

Is this a longer term plan for 2025 possibly? I'm not sure Alexander will continue playing in 2025. He may be able to but eventually age, SMS and succession come into play.

In the case of Cole he's a potential free agent in 2025. Probably Alexander too. So best laid plans of mice and men. Who know what next years roster looks like.

I'm not even sure what the 2024 roster looks like quite yet.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 16, 2024, 03:36:21 PMThey're looking for a spot for Bryan Cole trying him out in various positions, he could potentially end up at SAM or Safety, so Kramdi might end up as a backup + playing ST's much like Shayne Gauthier.

Or he backs up Kramdi at SLB.  Some Americans do back up Canadians, especially if you're starting 8.

blue_or_die

Not sure I buy the accuracy of reported salaries in the CFL. From 3DN, no less.
#Ride?

Blueforlife

Kramdi is ahead of Cole, imo.  I don't know as much about Cole, can people fill me in on how he played?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 16, 2024, 06:21:57 PMNot sure I buy the accuracy of reported salaries in the CFL. From 3DN, no less.

Decent point.

I feel like Kramdi will make more than we would expect because he's negotiating from the perspective of a Canadian starter. There's a floor on that salary regardless of position.

And I think people are forgetting that the minimum salary is 70k. The worst special teams player in the league gets 70. Our top import DB in Nichols gets 140. Kramdi, a starting Canadian, gets 125. Is that so nonsensical?
My wife is amazing!