SOOOOOO SHAWN LEMON IS NOW PLAYING AGAIN?

Started by Horseman, May 14, 2024, 05:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

I thought Shawn Lemon retired back in early April.

What a loser.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Sir Blue and Gold

There's actually a bit of nuance to this story. It's apparently a bet he made back in 2021 before the league instituted team wide mandatory education on betting. It was still obviously not allowed, but it definitely happened when this stuff was newer and the lines may have been a bit less obvious. You can't be betting on games you're in but it wasn't a large sum of money. I'd say let him play and be very clear that the league will catch you and ban you for life from this point forward if they find out.

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 15, 2024, 01:12:00 PMThere's actually a bit of nuance to this story. It's apparently a bet he made back in 2021 before the league instituted team wide mandatory education on betting. It was still obviously not allowed, but it definitely happened when this stuff was newer and the lines may have been a bit less obvious. You can't be betting on games you're in but it wasn't a large sum of money. I'd say let him play and be very clear that the league will catch you and ban you for life from this point forward if they find out.

Athletes being banned from betting on games has been a no go for over 100 years.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on May 15, 2024, 02:49:39 PMAthletes being banned from betting on games has been a no go for over 100 years.

Yeah, fair. Totally get it. It's not cool but I think they should look at context and timing here. The law was passed in August 2021 that opened up sports betting in Canada and this goes back to around that time. He bet $100 bucks back then and got suspended indefinitely in 2024. Compare that with attempts to injure on the field receiving far less, Kelly's 9 games, and it seems a bit harsh. That one single bet is significantly worse?

And it's not like he continued to do it. It was allegedly a one time bet and before player education when it was all just brand new for everyone.

theaardvark

Betting on games where the only legal place to do so was Vegas was one thing, betting with your local bookie wasn't tracked on any computer systems, etc.

Now, it is not only pervasive in society, leagues are actually providing information that has little relevance to the game outside of betting, and tracking stats primarily for betting use.  And as many people have pointed out, betting apps and sites are primary sponsors of leagues, right down to the uniform patch on the Als uni's.

The knowledge that Lemon bet on a game he played in while on the CGY squad was, I believe, acquired through some sort of release of information by the betting site.  I can see the grounds for appeal being something about privacy, and that the league had no right to that data.  I have no idea what CFL contracts lay out, but I sure as heck would complain if my employer acquired information from a betting provider without my consent/knowledge.

That said, he should never have been so stupid (even if it was a $10 bet to win on CGY).  On the other hand, the CFL had the ability to just let it go because he had already retired, but they banned him.  So I can't blame him for un-retiring and making his point.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 15, 2024, 01:07:43 PMI thought Shawn Lemon retired back in early April.

What a loser.

The timing is too coincidental between his retirement and the ban. I think he was forewarned about this coming down the pipe and he "retired" to save his rep and maybe see if the CFL would let it slide. They did not and now he appeals. Just has the feel of some funny business on Lemon's side.

Yeah I agree a season or lifetime ban is a bit ridiculous though if it was only one infraction. A couple games would be sufficient I think for a one time bet...if he was doing it constantly that would be another matter or betting AGAINST his team where he was playing in and might have attempted to throw the game somehow. Miss a few tackles or let up on a QB sack or two. Something like that in the playoffs or GC would certainly influence it between a win or loss in a tight game like last year's GC. Same with the 2022 GC or even 2021. 2019 the Tiger Cats were blown out and even if Willie took a day off it would not have influenced that game! ;)

TecnoGenius

So did Lemon at least win his bet?   :P
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

He can setup a LEMONade stand outside Montreal's Percival Molson Stadium if his appeal fails!! :D Or go suck on some lemons! Knows he is guilty. Thought pulling the retirement option would keep the league off his tail and then come out of retirement sometime later on is my guesstimate. Now suspended and using the only tricks there are in the book to return to camp. VERY FISHY and MESSY business.

Pigskin

I hope the league makes a decision before the regular seasons starts.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ichabod_crane

I guess it may depend on how desperate the Al's want him in their lineup to start the season. He might try to drag it out for as long as he can in such a situation and hope he wins his case or gets a reduced suspension or even just a fine eventually. I think he does not have much to lose (except some respect and integrity) in dragging it out as long as possible. Get only a couple games fine and move on.

I think he knew he was in trouble after he pulled the "retirement" gambit. Thought the league would let the allegations slide and he'd magically unretire come training camp. Did not pan out that way for him and now this new gambit. Depending on the arbitrator it could go several ways. Hold up original suspension, reduce it or not even anything at all except a fine. Depends on how strong the evidence is and if it's only his first offence, a season long (or lifetime) ban makes no sense to me. Sports gambling is a major business the CFL wants to get into although if he bet on his own team in a game he was playing in, that is a more concerning. Has to be evidence though. Mr Dufus argo qb gets 9 games and Lemon for the year? Seems a bit ludicrous unless he was betting on his own team in a game he was playing in where he could potentially affect the outcome. He will cry I WILL NEVER do it again and get his wrists slapped is my guess! :D