Blue Bombers sign 2024 draft selection Michael Chris-Ike

Started by ModAdmin, May 14, 2024, 02:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers sign 2024 draft selection Michael Chris-Ike

WINNIPEG, MB., May 14, 2024 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the team has signed 2024 draft selection (14th overall), running back Michael Chris-Ike.

Chris-Ike (6-1, 225, Delaware State; born: January 2, 1999, in Hamilton, ON) dressed for 27 career games with the Hornets, rushing 114 times for 486 yards and three touchdowns over four seasons with the team.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Sir Blue and Gold

The guy is pretty fast and not skinny-fast like a Brandon Banks or something.

QuoteThe six-foot-one, 225-pound ball carrier was one of the top testers at the CFL Combine in March, running a 4.51-second forty-yard dash, 6.71-second three-cone drill, and 4.19-second shuttle — all of which were the fastest marks in attendance.

His 40-yard time would have put him tied for ninth amongst running backs at the NFL combine this year and his shuttle speed would have been good for sixth.

BomberFan73

So does this mean he's coming to camp?  Or is he still expected at NFL camps?

Sir Blue and Gold

This would mean here's here and in camp now or certainly imminently.

BomberFan73

Nice to have a NI fullback again.  Assume he'll get in on passing downs & short yardage.  Hope he can catch good too.

Blue In BC

Quote from: BomberFan73 on May 14, 2024, 03:13:41 PMNice to have a NI fullback again.  Assume he'll get in on passing downs & short yardage.  Hope he can catch good too.

I'd like to think he'd be used as an actual offensive threat from time to time. We'll have to see how they use him in pre-season. His work on ST's will be a critical evaluation as well. I'm not suggesting we do it, but if he looks good, does he put Augustine at risk of staying on the AR?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 14, 2024, 05:53:47 PMI'd like to think he'd be used as an actual offensive threat from time to time. We'll have to see how they use him in pre-season. His work on ST's will be a critical evaluation as well. I'm not suggesting we do it, but if he looks good, does he put Augustine at risk of staying on the AR?

He takes Jackson's spot, opening up a DI spot...  Augustine is at no risk.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 14, 2024, 06:00:48 PMHe takes Jackson's spot, opening up a DI spot...  Augustine is at no risk.

Yes and no. We've brought back Tyrell Ford.  Noah Hallett. Charbonneau and Kornelson are competing for roster spots.

Wallace will replace Gray and Clercius will replace BOO on a one for one basis. Ford replaces Exume.

So it's just a question of math. Briggs, Exume & Bennett were the only NI's that weren't brought back . Chris-Ike is + 1 at the moment. The expectation against need from a positional point of view is part of the calculation. Yes Chris-Ike replaces a DI but we'll add another DI elsewhere on the roster.

If we want to add in Noah Hallett, or any of the others I suggested might be considered, then something has to be considered to sustain 20 - 21 Canadians. I doubt we choose to reduce the number of imports. The question whether we add a 2nd global which I doubt, would reduce spots for Canadians.

IMO there is a good chance we'll add another Canadian DL ( a 3rd ) even if we use the DI spot, we'll be thin on the DL otherwise. Keep in mind we lost Hansen as well for rotation.

Review the roster and count which you think will make the roster.

Nick Hallett, T. Ford, R. Kramdi, Lawson, Thomas, Gauthier, Cadwallader, Benson, Dobson, Eli, Wallace, Kolankowski, Neufeld,, Oliveria, Chris-Ike, Demski, Clercius and Wolitarsky are locks IMO.

If we only go with 1 global we have 2 spots left for Canadians ( 20 in total ) by my count. Roster would be 23 imports, 1 global and 20 Canadians = 44 roster.

Augustine is also $100K+ a little so that may become a problem on making a final decision. Cost against specific needs.

So yes, I guess I am saying I see this as a possibility. Rough count of 17 Canadians fighting for 2 spots on AR.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 14, 2024, 09:55:34 PMYou forgot that Miller needs replacing as well...

Not exactly.

Miller spent the entire season on the IR. D. Jackson took on the FB role and ST guy in 2023. Now in 2024 we expect Chris-Ike to take on that role. He might also take on the in game injury / rotation role as the RB. It's a TBD. Note that I like Augustine but roster spots and needs come into play.

So as I said, Chris-Ike takes on the role but he replaces a Canadian on the roster.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

It might be a bit easier to tell when we see him in action. He doesn't really strike me as a full back in the same sense as we've used them in the past. He seems pure running back but I suppose we'll see.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 14, 2024, 10:20:27 PMIt might be a bit easier to tell when we see him in action. He doesn't really strike me as a full back in the same sense as we've used them in the past. He seems pure running back but I suppose we'll see.

I'd like to think that most RB's have some blocking ability. FB's we've had in the past like Miller were ST dynamics and blocked occasionally as a FB. Rarely did much as an offensive weapon.

D. Jackson wasn't as good on ST's but was a decent blocker.

Chris-Ike is 25 lbs lighter than Jackson but faster and I think defences would have to account for him as a potential threat.

You comment is worth evaluating. It is a TBD and I think we also see an OL in a TE blocking role at times. Same as in 2023.

The bigger question is how effective he will be as a RB in year 1. Blocking he can learn. Running has more of an instinctive aspect to it as well as technique. He has speed and that is an asset.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 14, 2024, 10:20:27 PMIt might be a bit easier to tell when we see him in action. He doesn't really strike me as a full back in the same sense as we've used them in the past. He seems pure running back but I suppose we'll see.

Rewatch the KW interview on bb.com the other week.  He laid out where he expects all these new DPs to slot in.  Absolutely no one was talked about as a new "RB"... they were all talked about as Miller/Jackson types, maybe who could fill in at RB in a pinch.
Never go full Rider!

BomberFan73

Ya, can't really expect him to come in and be an everydown guy.  But as others have said he seems to have alot of versatility. He should be able to block well, get the odd power run, but also could be an option to pull out and take a dump pass when teams key in on the run & Brady.  It's the receiving I'd really like to see with him, get him the ball with a full head of steam, and lets see his speed & physicality. 

You know Buck's going to have some special plays & tons of options, and I think this guy only helps with that.

Blue In BC

Quote from: BomberFan73 on May 15, 2024, 12:31:57 PMYa, can't really expect him to come in and be an everydown guy.  But as others have said he seems to have alot of versatility. He should be able to block well, get the odd power run, but also could be an option to pull out and take a dump pass when teams key in on the run & Brady.  It's the receiving I'd really like to see with him, get him the ball with a full head of steam, and lets see his speed & physicality. 

You know Buck's going to have some special plays & tons of options, and I think this guy only helps with that.

I don't expect him to be an every down back. OTOH, I don't expect that from Augustine either. That said, Augustine isn't going to be willing to move to the PR. Sending him to 1 game IR doesn't save any money.

It's possible we will keep an import RB on the PR that might be a back up returner and or RB.

Will have to see who looks good in practice in those roles.

It's just part of the business. Augustine is turning 31 in July and has never been viewed as a long term replacement if we have an injury. I like him and the role he plays but at what point do we look to the future. Over 5 seasons he's only averaged about 40 carries each year but had a great average yardage when used.

There is an opportunity to save some SMS and to add a Canadian elsewhere on the roster.

The 1st question will be how effective would Chris-Ike be in the in game back up role etc.

2019 Grey Cup Champions