Main Training Camp News and Observations

Started by ModAdmin, May 12, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on May 24, 2024, 07:59:24 PMTwo players that have looked good in TC. Thomas also showed well in Regina. I was surprised to see Thomas is only 4 lbs. lighter then Petrisher. Charbonneau 6'3" 225 is a guy I want to see next Friday. Big kid, with a big motor. 

The roster lists Petrishen at 6'1" 225 lbs., Thomas is listed as 6'-1" 200 lbs.  For comparison Bighill is now listed at 5'-10" 241 lbs. and I suspect they're exaggerating his height.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 24, 2024, 08:17:44 PMThe roster lists Petrishen at 6'1" 225 lbs., Thomas is listed as 6'-1" 200 lbs.  For comparison Bihill is now listed at 5'-10" 241 lbs. and I suspect they're exaggerating his height.

The list I received yesterday at practice shows Tre Thomas 6'1" 221, 28 years old, Idaho.

Adam Bighill was listed at the start of TC at 219. Like I said earlier in TC he looked much heavier then that.

This is why I am not that sure that Kornelson at 240 is correct.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

I was just going over the TC listing they handed out at practice with our Bomber border, and he said there are lots of mistakes on this list. Said, Tre would be closed to 200 lbs.  He had a little chuckle at AB4 at 219. 

He was also surprised to see they could have 17 starters 30 or older.

Bret McDougall is only 22.

Pigskin

No practice tomorrow. But, the boys are back at 8:30 on Sunday.

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp Day 13

"..."I'm so grateful that Winnipeg picked me up," Petrishen said Friday in a chat with bluebombers.com. "To be honest, (the release from the Lions) wasn't a gut-punch feeling. I've been cut before in the NFL and other leagues. I've been told 'no' many times. But when the Lions released me I kind of felt like something good was about to happen. I wasn't upset, I wasn't down. I feel like in my career it's taught me to handle the emotional roller coaster, so I knew something good was about to happen and when the Blue Bombers called I knew that's exactly what it was...."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/24/quick-hits-training-camp-day-13/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

Quote from: Pigskin on May 24, 2024, 09:29:51 PMNo practice tomorrow. But, the boys are back at 8:30 on Sunday.

There is a short practice tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 p.m. to 4:25 p.m.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Which draft choices are returning to college after TC? IIRC there were 3 of the 11 2024 draft choices. We seem to have some really good newbies fighting for roster spots.

Currently 33 healthy Canadians on the roster. Not enough room for everyone but don't want to speculate too much on those we can't keep.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 25, 2024, 03:23:17 PMWhich draft choices are returning to college after TC? IIRC there were 3 of the 11 2024 draft choices. We seem to have some really good newbies fighting for roster spots.

Currently 33 healthy Canadians on the roster. Not enough room for everyone but don't want to speculate too much on those we can't keep.

The only one I know of is #57 Kyle Samson DT returning to UBC.  Last year's 6th round draft pick Bret MacDougall is still only 22, so he may have another year of eligibility left at school. I liked what I saw of him in last seasons pre-season games, but don't know if he played in the game last weekend.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 25, 2024, 04:05:45 PMThe only one I know of is #57 Kyle Samson DT returning to UBC.  Last year's 6th round draft pick Bret MacDougall is still only 22, so he may have another year of eligibility left at school. I liked what I saw of him in last seasons pre-season games, but don't know if he played in the game last weekend.

The others might have been Kalra and Hubert but I'm not 100% sure.

MacDougall could be a good future player. Whether we have room on the roster for Hallet, Ford and Kelly and another Canadian DB is uncertain.

He stuck me as a possible SAM in future although they had him at CB behind Ford. Obviously the depth chart is not entirely indicative. However it might suggest he has some speed and coverage skills. I suppose he could a guy they convert to a LB in the future too. He's young but could have some versatility.

Kelly saw the field in 2023 for 10 games and I thought dis well on ST's.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 25, 2024, 04:13:41 PMThe others might have been Kalra and Hubert but I'm not 100% sure.

MacDougall could be a good future player. Whether we have room on the roster for Hallet, Ford and Kelly and another Canadian DB is uncertain.

He stuck me as a possible SAM in future although they had him at CB behind Ford. Obviously the depth chart is not entirely indicative. However it might suggest he has some speed and coverage skills. I suppose he could a guy they convert to a LB in the future too. He's young but could have some versatility.

Kelly saw the field in 2023 for 10 games and I thought dis well on ST's.

Leroux is going back to Laval.

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp — Day 14

"...(Terry) Wilson completed 10-of-15 passes for 115 yards and a TD to Kevens Clercius in last Monday's preseason game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders and on Saturday saw Eric Barriere — the QB he was competing with for the third-string job behind Zach Collaros and Chris Streveler — released by the club while another new pivot in Darren Grainger was brought in for a look-see.

Said Wilson on that: "As tough as this business is, you have to already have in your mind that we're here to compete and earn a spot — it's not given to us, you have to earn it. It's tough to lose Eric because we were building a relationship, but this just comes along with the game. You've always got to be ready and prepared for everything."

His 18 days of camp have already taught him a few things, namely the CFL game moves at a faster pace than down south. The other noticeable difference for him is the importance of first-down production.

"That's the biggest thing to adjust to: being more aggressive while not pressing too much," he said. "It's that and having that time clock in my mind.

"I'm having fun. I'm loving every day. I wake up and am around a good group of guys. Plus, I've been saying this since Day 1 — getting to learn from Zach and Strev has been a huge help for me. I'm just thrilled to be here. I've heard we have the best fans in the CFL so I'm excited to see that, too..."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/25/quick-hits-training-camp-day-14/

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp Day 15

"...-If cornerback was a question mark heading into camp with the departure of Demerio Houston to Calgary and with Winston Rose replaced by Jamal Parker down the stretch last season, those concerns have been softened by the work of Tyrell Ford and Tyrique McGhee and the emergence of a new faces like Marquise Bridges and Terrell Bonds, among others. Parker suffered an injury in camp and could be gone for a while, but no franchise has found more talented DBs in the CFL in the last few years than the Blue Bombers.

-Celestin Haba and Liam Dobson look poised to be the the next-men up at defensive end and guard. Haba is primed to replace Jackson Jeffcoat and his experience from a year ago — four sacks in eight games — has shown through camp. He's been explosive....

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/26/quick-hits-training-camp-day-15/

theaardvark

This is very welcome news.  DB's have been a strength, but losing 3 is tough. 

Haba looked good last year, great to see he has developed. 

Dobson was the frontrunner for OL, Eli as the 6th man, TE and backup at OG and C is great.

RT and PR OT will be interesting to see play out still.

MLB is probably now our biggest issue.  Question:  Can we put Streveler there?  Yes, its a joke, but is it?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.