Main Training Camp News and Observations

Started by ModAdmin, May 12, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

With Castillo away, Mastrogiuseppe doing all the kicking. Pretty strong leg.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Down to #57 Samson, #96 Schmekel, #95 Thomas, as Canadian DTs. Still not sure Kornelson is a DT.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on May 23, 2024, 03:41:44 PMDown to #57 Samson, #96 Schmekel, #95 Thomas, as Canadian DTs. Still not sure Kornelson is a DT.

That's really confusing, if he doesn't have the right size to suit the position, why is he playing where he's playing?  Just wondering how he got so far without making an adjustment to his plans?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 23, 2024, 03:38:31 PMWith Castillo away, Mastrogiuseppe doing all the kicking. Pretty strong leg.

I've been expecting him to stick on the PR as developmental depth. A possible replacement for Castillo is he retires after this season. At the very least it gives us longer to look at him.

How is he doing with place kicking duties? IIRC he was mostly a punter so that might be a learning curve.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Pigskin on May 23, 2024, 03:41:44 PMDown to #57 Samson, #96 Schmekel, #95 Thomas, as Canadian DTs. Still not sure Kornelson is a DT.
I wouldn't limit Kornelson because of his weight. If he has great footwork/balance/speed then he could be a really good inside pass rusher potentially.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 23, 2024, 04:11:36 PMThat's really confusing, if he doesn't have the right size to suit the position, why is he playing where he's playing?  Just wondering how he got so far without making an adjustment to his plans?

Football is situational. If it's 2nd and 2 yards, you might want a big heavy guy at DT. If it's a passing down on 2nd and 12, you may want more of a speed guy inside. He might not be a good candidate as a DE able to contain the run or pressure the QB as a normal DE.  He may have a useful skill set inside. Bombers have often gone in a type of 3 DE's sets depending on down and distance.

At the moment he essentially becomes almost a LB in a possible 34 defence. I wouldn't be surprised if he occasionally lines up in a few different positions. No need to peg him just because of a certain classification.

He might be a developmental player as a DE rotation choice as he learns later?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: LXTSN on May 23, 2024, 04:25:05 PMI wouldn't limit Kornelson because of his weight. If he has great footwork/balance/speed then he could be a really good inside pass rusher potentially.

So, a Cheetah guy?  Wonder if Younger is going to go 3 or 4 DE's at any time...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

Quote from: Pigskin on May 21, 2024, 07:31:25 PMLooks like cooler, wet weather all week.

update - monsoon coming

Pigskin

To bad Hubert is going back to school. 6'4" 263, DE. He was solid in the short amount of time he played against the Riders.

Pigskin

Quote from: The Zipp on May 23, 2024, 06:13:18 PMupdate - monsoon coming

Yes, some heavy rain tomorrow. But, the boys had a very good practice today. I wonder if they might move indoors tomorrow. Looks like sunny weather all next week.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 23, 2024, 04:12:19 PMI've been expecting him to stick on the PR as developmental depth. A possible replacement for Castillo is he retires after this season. At the very least it gives us longer to look at him.

How is he doing with place kicking duties? IIRC he was mostly a punter so that might be a learning curve.

He has a strong leg. Seems to be good 30 yards and in. The longer kicks are hit and miss.

pdirks67

I caught the second half of the practice today. I was mostly watching the WRs.

Players who caught my eye:
 - AK Gassama(36): So smooooooothhhh and quick - and caught everything that was thrown his way
 - Keric Wheatfall(79): Seemed very good at adjusting to the ball and catching it in full stride. Made a great catch on a deep throw where he had to contort his body to get his hands on the ball.
 - Kody Case(2): Dropped multiple passes and a kick to start, but seemed to shape up later in the practice.
 - Tanner Schmekel(96): He looks like he bulked up, and seemed to be bringing the nasty.
 - Brian Cole(41): Pulled in a nice pick over the middle. He had to react quickly and go up high to grab it. I didn't catch what position he was playing at the time.

None of the QBs impressed (or depressed) me. Zach honestly looked hungover for the early part of the practice, LOL. But he finished strong.

LXTSN

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 23, 2024, 07:38:44 PMI caught the second half of the practice today. I was mostly watching the WRs.

Players who caught my eye:
 - AK Gassama(36): So smooooooothhhh and quick - and caught everything that was thrown his way
 - Keric Wheatfall(79): Seemed very good at adjusting to the ball and catching it in full stride. Made a great catch on a deep throw where he had to contort his body to get his hands on the ball.
 - Kody Case(2): Dropped multiple passes and a kick to start, but seemed to shape up later in the practice.
 - Tanner Schmekel(96): He looks like he bulked up, and seemed to be bringing the nasty.
 - Brian Cole(41): Pulled in a nice pick over the middle. He had to react quickly and go up high to grab it. I didn't catch what position he was playing at the time.

None of the QBs impressed (or depressed) me. Zach honestly looked hungover for the early part of the practice, LOL. But he finished strong.

Nice to hear about that from Gassama! I thought initially that it was a throwaway pick, just to grab someone from the UofM. It's been proven that size at the WR position in the CFL is overrated in most systems. BC always seems to get the good big WR's but guys like Tim White, Bane, Demski, Banks... etc are able to create space and beat defenders in the open field.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Pigskin on May 23, 2024, 06:21:21 PMTo bad Hubert is going back to school. 6'4" 263, DE. He was solid in the short amount of time he played against the Riders.

Good thinks are worth the wait.  Don't understand how he fell to the 8th round? Production, size, good combine.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 23, 2024, 03:38:31 PMWith Castillo away, Mastrogiuseppe doing all the kicking. Pretty strong leg.

New guy is going to need a nickname. I can't pronounce his name let alone spell yet. 13 letters. Viahoghiannis is another one that's a mouth full!!
2019 Grey Cup Champions