Where to watch 2024 CFL preseason games

Started by blue_gold_84, May 09, 2024, 07:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 13, 2024, 11:06:48 PMThis is CFL, not TSN.  TSN has had delayed/replay, but CFL for last pre-season did not.  Don't worry, I got them confused at first, also, as for me "CFL on TV" == TSN.  But apparently not for the pre-season, and foreign market.

Just to be clear, TSN is having nothing at all to do with the PS games, except for the 2 they are airing.

It does make me wonder, though, if that means the camera crews for the non-TSN games are amateurs/CFL-provided instead of the TSN guys, or maybe the TSN guys contract with CFL just for those?  Surely they aren't just going to have 1-cam, the all-24?  Someone's still gotta be in the "truck" calling camera switches...

Really???  I didn't pick up on that, I thought TSN was the only broadcaster allowed to film the CFL, who is producing the feed for CFL+?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 14, 2024, 01:19:40 AMReally???  I didn't pick up on that, I thought TSN was the only broadcaster allowed to film the CFL, who is producing the feed for CFL+?

TSN is the exclusive broadcaster for the Canadian market. CBS has rights in the US. The CFL+ feeds are just the in stadium cameras with an audio synced radio broadcast.  Don't expect fancy graphics and the like, but it is definitely better than nothing and at the price of free it's hard to complain.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 14, 2024, 02:32:09 PMTSN is the exclusive broadcaster for the Canadian market. CBS has rights in the US. The CFL+ feeds are just the in stadium cameras with an audio synced radio broadcast.  Don't expect fancy graphics and the like, but it is definitely better than nothing and at the price of free it's hard to complain.

So, slightly better than UFL feeds... with more fans in the stands.  ;)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ichabod_crane

There is always the internet radio broadcasts too. Often listening to Bob Irving was a lot better than the ol' Rod Black "Hook and Ladder" mistake filled announcing! :D

Even the Calgary play by play man Mark Stephen is very good. Not quite Bob Irving, but he is quite good and easy to listen to. Really paints a good picture of the game.

To me the heyday of CJOB football broadcasts was in the late 70's to late 80's/early 90's or so. Cactus Jack Welles, curmudgeon sports journalist Jack Mathieson of old Winnipeg Tribune fame, Mitch Zalanasky, Kenny Ploen and some other Bombers alumni at times. Throw in consummate pro Bob Irving it was always very entertaining and informative. Not some dolts knowing zip all about the game (hello CFUN or whatever that joke station was further up the dial for a few years doing the radio broadcasts). I never did visit that gang at Chi-Chi's restaurante near the old barn doing the post game shows, but the Happy Honker was always something everyone loved and waited for after every home game!! I can just imagine Cacti and some others tossing back a few pints or shots while doing the post game show especially after a win!! :D :)

theaardvark

Why only 48 hours?

New this season, every game carried on CFL+ will be available on-demand for 48 hours with full DVR functionality after the final whistle, providing viewers from around the world with a window to tune into CFL action. The platform has also been upgraded for compatibility with Apple AirPlay to facilitate casting onto smart TVs more easily.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on May 21, 2024, 09:49:04 PMWhy only 48 hours?

New this season, every game carried on CFL+ will be available on-demand for 48 hours with full DVR functionality after the final whistle, providing viewers from around the world with a window to tune into CFL action. The platform has also been upgraded for compatibility with Apple AirPlay to facilitate casting onto smart TVs more easily.

Yesterday's game does not appear to be available, but they do have replays of what appears to be all of last years games plus the playoffs.  For anyone wanting a replay of yesterday's game, it's here.

theaardvark

TecnoGenius

Aards is right, it appears to still be up.  I left my window open on the big tv and finished watching the 2nd half tonight.  I forgot about the 48h thing.  Glad it still worked!!  Super busy with the first non-rain yard-work days.

So maybe if you keep the link you're golden but if you try to link to it >48h later it's not reachable.

Glad I didn't listen to the screen saying "The game has concluded" at the 3 min warning commercial!  Lol.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

I noticed with the Bombers vs Stamps game today on CFL+ that the video stream came in late after some breaks. The Stamps had just returned a kickoff or punt return to the house and then the stream starts and the CJOB announcers are saying Calgary just had a special teams TD?! WHAT?! When did that happen? Some bugs still in the system although they may get cleared out when they get the full TSN feed going on CFL+. Still very happy with the product. Can't do instant replay like with a PVR, but it's FREE so stop whining to anyone who is not happy with it!! :D

I still remember the days of local blackouts even outside Winnipeg on rabbit ears or house top aerials on CBC & CTV (even local cable within Winnipeg). Sometimes the Brandon CBC over-the-air channel would skip off the ionosphere (Similar to radio waves) and we could pick it up on the farm I grew up on NE of the Peg. A bit fuzzy, but the blackout did was NOT IN affect for Brandon so I could catch some games fading it and out in the late 70's and early 80's!! :D Usually best conditions late afternoon and evening for the "skip" to occur.

In any case Bob Irving always called great games on radio like you were almost sitting in the stands. A TRUE LEGEND and one of sports broadcasting greats ANYWHERE FROM ANY SPORT! :) Like Marv Albert liked to say on NBA broadcasts "He's ON FIRE!" ;)