CFL veterans being released

Started by Blue In BC, May 03, 2024, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 06, 2024, 04:30:04 PMRourke would be a CFL free agent. IIRC, Kelly was given a large signing bonus and / or guaranteed money so that is a no go in theory.

I think most starting QB's have some sort of guaranteed money so it's a problem for Rourke to return in 2024.

Rouke would be one of the top paid QB's when he returns but what team can absorb another SMS hit at this point of the season.

Clearly he'd be better than several starting QB's but I don't see this happening for 2024. IMO he will keep trying / waiting for another NFL opportunity.

If Kelly were to be let go "for cause", I am sure there is 100% clawback of any payments made to him.  Getting the actual cash back might be tough, but the $SMS hit would be nullified, as far as I can see.  Especially since the incident was before the payments.

That'd be the perfect storm for the CFL.

Eliminate the issue, replace with a Canadian who could very well be better than Kelly...

Win/win/win.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 06, 2024, 05:39:04 PMIf Kelly were to be let go "for cause", I am sure there is 100% clawback of any payments made to him.  Getting the actual cash back might be tough, but the $SMS hit would be nullified, as far as I can see.  Especially since the incident was before the payments.

That'd be the perfect storm for the CFL.

Eliminate the issue, replace with a Canadian who could very well be better than Kelly...

Win/win/win.

Yeah maybe but we don't know there is a real mechanism to achieve that. It's also a timing issue where we might not get a decision on Kelly for months. That may also result in some sort of claw back if he's found guilty etc.

However, the thing is that I don't think Rourke is going to be coming back to the CFL in 2024. It certainly isn't likely by the start of TC.

I think the Argos would take Rourke over Kelly in an instant. Just being a Canadian improves their ratio.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 06, 2024, 09:00:25 PMYeah maybe but we don't know there is a real mechanism to achieve that. It's also a timing issue where we might not get a decision on Kelly for months. That may also result in some sort of claw back if he's found guilty etc.

However, the thing is that I don't think Rourke is going to be coming back to the CFL in 2024. It certainly isn't likely by the start of TC.

I think the Argos would take Rourke over Kelly in an instant. Just being a Canadian improves their ratio.

Rourke now has to compete with a new crop of draft picks.10 total drafted, 6 in the first round. Not horrible numbers, but still, he just lost his job to one.  But he knows he's guaranteed $600k in Canada, and will get playing time and adulation.  He could just be what the league and Toronto needs. 

It would be interesting if Kelly gets "fired" for cause because a coach wasn't extended because of his actions.

If Kelly got released, how long until Jones signs him?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bluebeard

Quote from: theaardvark on May 06, 2024, 10:27:58 PMRourke now has to compete with a new crop of draft picks.10 total drafted, 6 in the first round. Not horrible numbers, but still, he just lost his job to one.  But he knows he's guaranteed $600k in Canada, and will get playing time and adulation.  He could just be what the league and Toronto needs. 

It would be interesting if Kelly gets "fired" for cause because a coach wasn't extended because of his actions.

If Kelly got released, how long until Jones signs him?
Kelly would not sign with Edmonton before playing in TO.  What makes you think he will sign now.  I think he might sign in Hamilton as it is close to Buffalo

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 06, 2024, 04:30:04 PMI think most starting QB's have some sort of guaranteed money so it's a problem for Rourke to return in 2024.

Ya, but this is the CFL and in the last 3 seasons it's been QBs-dropping-like-flies.  Guaranteed some team* (or 3) loses its star by labor day and is in desperation mode.  Dangling play-now money in front of Rourke might work... and give him more film for another NFL try in 2025?

* <knocks wood>
Never go full Rider!

Pete

If I'm Hamilton, Saskatchewan, or Calgary and can get Rourke to sign for 3 years, I'd be all in. If it meant dumping the existing quarterback and being over the cap this year then it would still be worthwhile.(or cutting/trading another high salary player)
I could even see BC making a move such as trading Adams to another team for a pick and cash (if thats possible in the cfl)

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on May 07, 2024, 02:59:41 AMIf I'm Hamilton, Saskatchewan, or Calgary and can get Rourke to sign for 3 years, I'd be all in.

Dis CGY and HAM all you want, but T.Harris in SSK is actually pretty good.  On my rewatch of '23 I was amazed how decent he was before he got hurt.  He makes good decisions and pulls the trigger quickly.  I think he was poised to have one of his best seasons in'23.  If he could just stay healthy he could be top-3 in league.

But we all know he'll likely get injured again, as that's his thing now.  But don't discount him if he's in a game when we're playing them.  When he gets injured, though, it's game over for SSK again, because it massively demoralizes their whole team and fan base.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on May 07, 2024, 02:59:41 AMIf I'm Hamilton, Saskatchewan, or Calgary and can get Rourke to sign for 3 years, I'd be all in. If it meant dumping the existing quarterback and being over the cap this year then it would still be worthwhile.(or cutting/trading another high salary player)
I could even see BC making a move such as trading Adams to another team for a pick and cash (if thats possible in the cfl)

Hamilton might be in the best position to drop BLM and others that may not have had guaranteed money. Or may have the least up front money paid. The big fly in the ointment is the timing if and when Rourke chooses to return to the CFL.

Even if he only came back for 2024, chances that BLM plays in 2025 are also slim IMO.

EDIT: There is a list of top paid QB's going into 2024. All the top QB's got advance money. The best of the best got significant advance money. All that info shows how signing Rourke becomes an issue if he becomes available.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

If Kelly gets "Fired for cause", you'd have to wonder if Ambroise would place a "do not hire" ban on him.

VictorRomano

Nathan Rourke grabbed off waivers by the NY Giants according to reports.  Doubt he's back in Canada this year.

TecnoGenius

To hedge their bets, does TOR pickup/trade for Masoli?  Is Masoli owned by anyone right now?  Ya, Masoli's return would be around the same time as Kelly, but there's a greater than zero chance Kelly never returns.

Masoli might just get injured in his first game again, but he might not.  Surely he's a better option than riding with Dukes all season?

OTT grabbing Dru Brown when they did is looking like a stroke of genius... As does us signing Strevie.  If our prospects at various positions do not pan out (most notably OL/DL), might we trade Strevie mid-season for a superstar-but-reasonably-priced DB or DL or OL?  If Zach's doing great and our rookie QBs look non-Brohm, Strevie might not have as much value to us as some Ento/Uguak-level ELC player.  (No idea who fits that bill in TOR though.)

4 weeks till season start and we're already in "silly season"!  It's going to be one of those years...
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 08, 2024, 07:19:03 AMTo hedge their bets, does TOR pickup/trade for Masoli?  Is Masoli owned by anyone right now?  Ya, Masoli's return would be around the same time as Kelly, but there's a greater than zero chance Kelly never returns.

Masoli might just get injured in his first game again, but he might not.  Surely he's a better option than riding with Dukes all season?

OTT grabbing Dru Brown when they did is looking like a stroke of genius... As does us signing Strevie.  If our prospects at various positions do not pan out (most notably OL/DL), might we trade Strevie mid-season for a superstar-but-reasonably-priced DB or DL or OL?  If Zach's doing great and our rookie QBs look non-Brohm, Strevie might not have as much value to us as some Ento/Uguak-level ELC player.  (No idea who fits that bill in TOR though.)

4 weeks till season start and we're already in "silly season"!  It's going to be one of those years...

No, absolutely not.  Never. Streveler is here for the playoffs, both to play and as insurance trading him mid season would be insane.  We certainly didn't trade Dru Brown mid season even though we could have gotten quite the haul, instead, we kept him and got a 4th round flyer pick for him.

"Silly season" for sure.  Trade Streveler?  *SILLY*

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on May 08, 2024, 03:39:15 PM"Silly season" for sure.  Trade Streveler?  *SILLY*

Then Riderfans suggest Tre Ford is the likely candidate for Kelly replacement (at least short term).

They've got to do something.  I'm not sure fans will put up with Dukes for 9 weeks, especially if he looks really bad in PS and week 1.  Now, if he lights it up, all is forgiven.  But that chance is slim to none...
Never go full Rider!

Pete

looks like Malik Clemons has retired. don't blame him with the gong show of the argos

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on May 12, 2024, 01:21:02 AMlooks like Malik Clemons has retired. don't blame him with the gong show of the argos

Just to be precise, it's Clements, our former backup MLB/WILL.  Did TOR cut him first?  If he was cut, then that means in a pinch he may be available for us to re-sign if we can't find a legit next man up to backup Biggie.  He was more than serviceable, though clearly not the "next Biggie".  He took a ton of live snaps for us and never stunk up the joint.

Maybe he read the writing on the wall that he probably won't ever be a #1 starter and got fed up with ELC-level $$?
Never go full Rider!