CFL veterans being released

Started by Blue In BC, May 03, 2024, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Teams seem to be releasing a lot of players that seem a bit surprising. Are they adjusting their SMS spend after signing some free agents in February?

I see Moxie was released by Calgary today. Menard in Vancouver yesterday. Worthy by the Als to name a few.

The fact this is being done so close to TC is an even bigger surprise IMO??
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Odd timing right after the draft. it could also do with the xfl being cut down to 8 teams, a lot of talent became available. Frankly I'm surprised how many of our recruits have xfl/usfl experience. I wasn't under the impression they had that many quality players that couldn't make their rosters that cfl teams have picked up
It will be interesting to see how many actually make cfl rosters.

Blue In BC

Agreed the talent pool got a bit deeper with 8 less spring league teams. That applied for them as well. You can't keep everybody.

That said, unless some of these players had bonus's due for reporting to TC, why cut them now?

I have noticed that the Bombers have signed lots of players with XFL or USFL experience. Some with some experience.

Obviously some of these players had significant contracts going into 2024. Worthy was reported to be at $140K for example.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

If you can't see them making the team, either $SMS or talent wise, then releasing them now gives them a chance to catch on elsewhere... and makes it easier to sign prospects or have them actually come to camp after signing knowing there is an opening to fill.

I don't think teams or players enjoy TC cuts on vets. Ripping the bandaid off now is easier.   
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Steven Richardson retiring. Sad, that his body gave up on him.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on May 03, 2024, 06:41:07 PMSteven Richardson retiring. Sad, that his body gave up on him.

Wonder if this was in any way related to Covington... or mere timing co-incedence
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Timing, the man's body is broken. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on May 03, 2024, 06:41:07 PMSteven Richardson retiring. Sad, that his body gave up on him.

It's tough being a stove.

I'll always remember him as a great Bomber.  One of the best DTs we've had in 10 years.  Instrumental in getting us the cups.

One of the best run stoppers in 2 generations.  He could shed hoggie blocks like they were greased butter.  And had a nose for the carrier.  And when he got through with the bull rush, watch out QB!!

Best of luck Stove, we love ya!!
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 04, 2024, 12:23:43 AMIt's tough being a stove.

I'll always remember him as a great Bomber.  One of the best DTs we've had in 10 years.  Instrumental in getting us the cups.

One of the best run stoppers in 2 generations.  He could shed hoggie blocks like they were greased butter.  And had a nose for the carrier.  And when he got through with the bull rush, watch out QB!!

Best of luck Stove, we love ya!!

I agree. Our D line has never regained its dominance since he left. We need to find us another Stove!!!

Blue In BC

For what it's worth, Nathan Rourke is being waived by the Patriots. I don't know if he'll be picked up quickly by another NFL team, but I don't expect him back in the CFL at least for another year. He may bounce around for 2024?

He made over $500K usd last year so that can't be ignored in his pursuit of the dream.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 06, 2024, 03:25:47 PMFor what it's worth, Nathan Rourke is being waived by the Patriots. I don't know if he'll be picked up quickly by another NFL team, but I don't expect him back in the CFL at least for another year. He may bounce around for 2024?

He made over $500K usd last year so that can't be ignored in his pursuit of the dream.

Probably because of his comment about Kelly ;) .  Just kidding. 

Pats took 2 (two) QB's in the draft, including Maye at 3 overall... kinda kills Rourkes chances there...

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 06, 2024, 04:20:19 PMProbably because of his comment about Kelly ;) .  Just kidding. 

Pats took 2 (two) QB's in the draft, including Maye at 3 overall... kinda kills Rourkes chances there...

It may take awhile before Rourke gets a TC tryout elsewhere. Lots of QB's drafted and others moved across the NFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 06, 2024, 04:22:48 PMIt may take awhile before Rourke gets a TC tryout elsewhere. Lots of QB's drafted and others moved across the NFL.

Does BC still have his rights?  Or can Tor drop Kelly and sign him?

Would be a great move for the league...

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 06, 2024, 04:25:07 PMDoes BC still have his rights?  Or can Tor drop Kelly and sign him?

Would be a great move for the league...

Rourke would be a CFL free agent. IIRC, Kelly was given a large signing bonus and / or guaranteed money so that is a no go in theory.

I think most starting QB's have some sort of guaranteed money so it's a problem for Rourke to return in 2024.

Rouke would be one of the top paid QB's when he returns but what team can absorb another SMS hit at this point of the season.

Clearly he'd be better than several starting QB's but I don't see this happening for 2024. IMO he will keep trying / waiting for another NFL opportunity.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 06, 2024, 04:30:04 PMRourke would be a CFL free agent. IIRC, Kelly was given a large signing bonus and / or guaranteed money so that is a no go in theory.

I think most starting QB's have some sort of guaranteed money so it's a problem for Rourke to return in 2024.

Rouke would be one of the top paid QB's when he returns but what team can absorb another SMS hit at this point of the season.

Clearly he'd be better than several starting QB's but I don't see this happening for 2024. IMO he will keep trying / waiting for another NFL opportunity.

Yep, no team could make room for a contract of that size without making severe cuts elsewhere.  The Lions might be able to swing it by axing Vernon Adams and one or two established players outright, but with the advent of guaranteed money that becomes less likely.

The team that should be preparing for this opportunity is the Riders, dumping an old Trevor Harris in exchange for Rourke would be a master stroke that would be unbearable to witness.