Elks looking for private ownership.

Started by theaardvark, March 14, 2024, 02:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Maybe the Oilers?

Or is this a way to get out of the Jones contract?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on March 14, 2024, 02:56:42 PMMaybe the Oilers?

Or is this a way to get out of the Jones contract?

..wut?

They want private investment to help rebuild their season ticket holder base.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on March 14, 2024, 03:55:16 PM..wut?

+1

LOL :D

The rationale is mentioned: https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/dave-naylor-edmonton-elks-seeking-private-ownership-for-first-time-in-franchise-history-1.2089683

QuoteThough the team is not in a financially distressed situation, with reserves of roughly $7 million, it is in need of a capital investment to restore the season ticket base as well as improve the club's infrastructure and its standing in the community.

An interesting development to watch, IMO. Especially with talk of a potential new stadium.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

I don't understand what they mean by "capital investment to restore the season ticket base as well as improve the club's infrastructure". Do they mean a major stadium and facility improvements? I heard that Edmonton has some of the best player development facilities in the league, and as far as the stadium goes, it's mid in the CFL but not "needing" a complete tear down such that it necessitates a complete organizational overhaul.

If they want to rebuild their season ticket base, they need to 1) stop being a circus sideshow and 2) spend a good chunk of that 7 mill on a well-thought out, targeted marketing campaign.

This makes me wonder if their board understands exactly what's needed to be done, what undergoing an ownership change would actually mean, and what "capital" is lmao.
#Ride?

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 14, 2024, 05:45:12 PMIf they want to rebuild their season ticket base, they need to 1) stop being a circus sideshow and 2) spend a good chunk of that 7 mill on a well-thought out, targeted marketing campaign.

@Sir Blue and Gold?
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 14, 2024, 05:45:12 PMI don't understand what they mean by "capital investment to restore the season ticket base as well as improve the club's infrastructure". Do they mean a major stadium and facility improvements? I heard that Edmonton has some of the best player development facilities in the league, and as far as the stadium goes, it's mid in the CFL but not "needing" a complete tear down such that it necessitates a complete organizational overhaul.

If they want to rebuild their season ticket base, they need to 1) stop being a circus sideshow and 2) spend a good chunk of that 7 mill on a well-thought out, targeted marketing campaign.

This makes me wonder if their board understands exactly what's needed to be done, what undergoing an ownership change would actually mean, and what "capital" is lmao.

The Elks really need to start winning games and making the playoffs regularly.  All the marketing money in the world won't convince fans to buy tickets to watch a losing team performing consistently below .500. 

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 14, 2024, 05:46:29 PM@Sir Blue and Gold?

Ha! I have no experience actually marketing sports teams -- I use their reach and influence with their fan base to try and change consumer behaviors/perceptions but I do have a lot of empathy for those in the Elks marketing department trying to engage that fanbase. It would not be easy.

In general, ticket-based events are a heavy lift right now for a variety of factors. It's one of the first things consumers can cut back spending on (not just sports, but concerts, family experiences [like Zoo, plays, museums, etc.]) Disposable income is strained virtually across the board.

Beyond the macro though, more specific to the Elks, their rebrand was necessary but probably did them no favours (I'd bet they have research that shows it hasn't resonated well across any demo). They've appeared to bottom out to such a critical threshold that their game day atmosphere has been impacted which is a critical way to sell sports to non-sports (or non-football) fans. Those segments are needed to succeed in the CFL. Consider the Bombers new billboards 'Winnipeg's Biggest Party'. Edmonton can't claim nor sell that experience which means they're left with what seems like a narrow base of die-hard CFL football fans who primarily (or exclusively) care about the actual football. (As an aside, this is why BC's new owner is bringing in bands and always taking about the game day experience) The further challenge with the die-hard football fan in Edmonton is that the team has been so bad for so long (and my gut says the rebrand would test most unpopular with this group, in particular) that even that group is largely disinterested as that type of fan probably largely expects a competitive product.

All that to say I doubt there is a marketing-exclusive answer to the issue. It definitely won't be solved with a new slogan and some direct emails. They need to be more competitive. They probably need to spend to improve the game day experience (which would be a tough sell internally). The truth is there probably aren't a lot of good things to market there. The standard sports pillars, i guess: Tradition. Community. Excitement. The sport itself.  I'm glad I'm not the one trying to hit whatever metrics they're after.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on April 18, 2024, 05:19:20 PMBeyond the macro though, more specific to the Elks, their rebrand was necessary but probably did them no favours (I'd bet they have research that shows it hasn't resonated well across any demo).

With 5 years-ish under the belt, one can look back at the knee-jerk fast-track rebrand as a complete disaster.  The team went from competitive to garbage virtually the instant that happened.  Ticket sales started their big decline right at that same time (even excluding covid effects), and have still not stopped declining.

I actually think about this sometimes... why didn't they just rebrand as the Esks?  No, not the full name-that-shall-not-be-spoken-again.  Just Esks.  Just say it had nothing to do with the old name.  It's just a new word they made up, kind of like Maple Leafs ("leafs" isn't a work), or Redblacks.

I bet fans would have liked the Esks name far more than the Elks.  Heck, I remember the copious "Esks new name" threads in 2018-2020 and us here came up with far better names than "Elks".

Heck, just call them the "EDM E's" or something, would have been better and not riled up so many fans.

And about the research: they had never changed it to that point because their research showed year after year that almost no one gave a hoot, even amongst the eponymous people (yes even recognizing it's incorrect or pejorative).  The biggest problem is the demo that got most angry at the old name is mostly the demo that will never attend a CFL game (and no, it has nothing to do with race).  The change bought them nothing but lost STH and a cursed team name.

Oh well, as long as they don't fold or need MTL-level of cash infusions, it's not our problem: I like having a free spot on the bingo card 2-3 times a season.  They made their bed, they can lie in it.  Maybe their new owner should change the name again on day 1; I don't know to what... just anything but Elks.

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on April 18, 2024, 05:19:20 PMConsider the Bombers new billboards 'Winnipeg's Biggest Party'.

Just saw the new one literally just down my street in Chazwood today.  Awesome!!  Captures the excitement you'll get by coming out to the games.  I id'd it within half a second as being a Bomber ad.  I think it'll be a winner.  Bombers always put up some ads in Chazwood... they must have determined it to be a target-rich demo.  They'd be right.  Flags & signs around everywhere.  I'd still have my '19 and '21 free signs up if the weather hadn't destroyed them by last year.  One of these days I'll get my new flag pole installed (it's just sitting in the garage) and hoist my unused Chazwood Bomber Fan flag.
Never go full Rider!