Blue Bombers add three to roster - March 13, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, March 13, 2024, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add three to roster - March 13, 2024

WINNIPEG, MB., March 13, 2024 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American wide receiver Isaiah Coulter, and American defensive backs James Campbell and Anthony Witherstone.

Coulter (6-2, 200; Rhode Island, born: September 18, 1998, in Columbia,  MD) was originally selected by the Houston Texans in the fifth round (171st pick) of the 2020 NFL Draft. He appeared in one regular season game for Houston before playing three games for the Chicago Bears in 2021.   Collegiately, Coulter played three seasons at Rhode Island, making 132 catches for 1,855 yards and recording 12 touchdowns. He was named Second Team All-CAA in 2019 and had seven career 100-yard receiving games.

Campbell (6-1, 180; Montana State; born: January 17, 1999, in Palatka, FL) played five seasons at Montana State, recording 64 tackles (49 solo, 15 assists), two tackles for loss, two interceptions, seven pass breakups, one forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries in 41 games for the Bobcats. In his senior season, Campbell registered 34 tackles (23 solo, 11 assists), one tackle for loss, two interceptions, five pass breakups, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery in 14 games, helping Montana State win the Big Sky Championship.

Witherstone (6-0, 190; Merrimack, born: November 27, 1999 in Warwick, RI) spent the 2023 preseason with the Kansas City Chiefs, making one defensive tackle in his only game prior to being injured. He played six seasons at Merrimack, recording 74 tackles, two tackles for loss, four interceptions, two touchdowns, 19 pass breakups, and one forced fumble in 35 games.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blueforlife

Sometimes you need a fresh start

Blue In BC

We're going to see a bunch of players signed then released before TC as new candidates are found. Can never tell who will make the grade. Everyone looks good at this point.

You have to have competition at every position. Can't wait for mini camps to uncover more talent as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 22, 2024, 03:42:03 PMWe're going to see a bunch of players signed then released before TC as new candidates are found. Can never tell who will make the grade. Everyone looks good at this point.

You have to have competition at every position. Can't wait for mini camps to uncover more talent as well.

Today's count, 16 Import WR's competing for Baileys spot plus 6 new Import DB's which is lower than usual.

I see they added Natl. DB Nico McCarthy in Jan. straight out of Wilfred Laurier, I'm guessing he missed his draft year as he's already 24.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on March 22, 2024, 05:30:29 PMToday's count, 16 Import WR's competing for Baileys spot plus 6 new Import DB's which is lower than usual.

I see they added Natl. DB Nico McCarthy in Jan. straight out of Wilfred Laurier, I'm guessing he missed his draft year as he's already 24.

Not a big deal at the moment. None of our holdover import WR's from the PR are still with the team. Maybe a couple that were here briefly when the PR expanded. Bailey, BOO and McRae are gone and Grant has not re-signed yet.  OTOH, we're getting Ford and Noah Hallett back as DB depth on the Canadian side. McCarthy is another Canadian that will see some time at DB in TC.

By the time TC rolls around we probably have 16 - 20 total at each position in the 1st couple of days of TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

My son today asked who we (WFC) lost in FA (and retirement).  So I rattled off the list from memory.  He was a bit sad at some of the names.

Then he asked what big names we picked up in FA... and I'm like, "uh, nobody?".  He was shocked and wondered how that was.  I'm pretty sure we didn't hire anyone in FA?  Ya, we got back 1-2 NFL guys (Strevie, Ford), but we didn't make a single acquisition?

Ok, Lofton... I forgot Lofton.  But he's not guaranteed to start.  And he's hardly a "big name" (son didn't know who he was, and he wasn't impressed when I said he was SSK OL last season, grin).

Am I missing anybody?  Weird how we have to work so hard to retain our normal guys, losing good players to FA, but gain none in return.  What a strange position to be in as a team.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 22, 2024, 10:48:50 PMMy son today asked who we (WFC) lost in FA (and retirement).  So I rattled off the list from memory.  He was a bit sad at some of the names.

Then he asked what big names we picked up in FA... and I'm like, "uh, nobody?".  He was shocked and wondered how that was.  I'm pretty sure we didn't hire anyone in FA?  Ya, we got back 1-2 NFL guys (Strevie, Ford), but we didn't make a single acquisition?

Ok, Lofton... I forgot Lofton.  But he's not guaranteed to start.  And he's hardly a "big name" (son didn't know who he was, and he wasn't impressed when I said he was SSK OL last season, grin).

Am I missing anybody?  Weird how we have to work so hard to retain our normal guys, losing good players to FA, but gain none in return.  What a strange position to be in as a team.

its really a function of the way we've operated the last 3 years, focusing on retaining vets vs free agents. On the plus side it brings continuity and experience but having that many vets eats away at your salary cap.
  This year in order to retain some key parts we've had to let go a number of vets and try to replace them with cap friendly rookies .We couldn't bring any name free agents as there was no money left. The changeover was overdue and should help us going forward provided our scouting is effective.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 22, 2024, 09:14:16 PMNot a big deal at the moment. None of our holdover import WR's from the PR are still with the team. Maybe a couple that were here briefly when the PR expanded. Bailey, BOO and McRae are gone and Grant has not re-signed yet.  OTOH, we're getting Ford and Noah Hallett back as DB depth on the Canadian side. McCarthy is another Canadian that will see some time at DB in TC.

By the time TC rolls around we probably have 16 - 20 total at each position in the 1st couple of days of TC.

Not entirely true, Alston is a carry over from 2023 and I suspect there may be other WR's that had a quick look later in the season and have been invited back.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on March 23, 2024, 12:23:31 AMNot entirely true, Alston is a carry over from 2023 and I suspect there may be other WR's that had a quick look later in the season and have been invited back.

I mentioned that a few of the WR's were late additions from the expanded PR late in the season. Not exactly been here an extended period like Agudosi ( before being released ) or McCrae that were here at the beginning of TC 2023 or before.

That essentially takes us back to square one with rookies looking to land a spot on the AR and PR depth. Nothing wrong with that per se. Maybe we have the next Schoen signed for TC.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Sometimes you need a fresh start