Argo QB, Chad Kelly sited in harassment/wrongful dismissal charges

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, February 22, 2024, 11:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marni

As much as I dislike him, I think we need to go with innocent until proven guilty!
You are what happened when I wished upon a star  :-*

ModAdmin

The stakes are incredibly high.  There are witnesses. There is Kelly's reputation/history.  There is the CFL's stand on dealing with Violence Against Women.

John Murphy is already in "protection" mode.  Will the Argos wait for this to go through legal channels?  Quite frankly I don't think they can go into the upcoming season with this hanging over the team's head.

They have to start thinking about their position and action on the situation now.  Pretty sure they know what the full story is.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on March 03, 2024, 05:44:10 PMThe stakes are incredibly high.  There are witnesses. There is Kelly's reputation/history.  There is the CFL's stand on dealing with Violence Against Women.

John Murphy is already in "protection" mode.  Will the Argos wait for this to go through legal channels?  Quite frankly I don't think they can go into the upcoming season with this hanging over the team's head.

They have to start thinking about their position and action on the situation now.  Pretty sure they know what the full story is.

There's usually two kinds of witnesses, cooperative and uncooperative, seeing as it's a team environment I'd be surprised if any of the players spoke freely against the Argos game plan.  If they don't have a game plan in place by now, they are in very deep ****.

Pete

there are however a number of players that are no longer with the argos after free agency, some of whom may not be enamored with not being resigned.
They will pretty much have to stick with the actual situation and determine the necessary consequences along with the league offices.

dd

Quote from: Marni on March 03, 2024, 03:10:30 PMAs much as I dislike him, I think we need to go with innocent until proven guilty!
Ya that seemed to work out for OJ didn't it!!

theaardvark

Quote from: dd on March 03, 2024, 10:00:05 PMYa that seemed to work out for OJ didn't it!!

No glove involved here... and IIRC, he got off on the criminal charges, but was destroyed in civil court...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: theaardvark on March 04, 2024, 02:12:41 PMNo glove involved here... and IIRC, he got off on the criminal charges, but was destroyed in civil court...

Johnny Cochrane (or his Seinfeld impersonator): If the glove don't fit, you gotta acquit! :D

theaardvark

Interesting to see Nathan Rourke's opinion of the situation.. and he's right.

"Nathan Rourke@nathan_rourke

I'm disappointed with the lack of urgency expressed by both the @CFL and the @TorontoArgos
. This issue must be viewed with the utmost seriousness and concern for the truth. What example are we setting for boys and girls across Canada if we can't practice what we preach? #BeMORE
"
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

#Ride?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on April 16, 2024, 08:01:32 PM"Nathan Rourke@nathan_rourke

I'm disappointed with the lack of urgency expressed by both the @CFL and the @TorontoArgos

Do we have any sense on whether there will be some movement on the issue before the season starts?  I think closure would go better than keeping it up in the air all season long... even though the latter would be better for the Argos' W/L record.

That said, lawsuits of this size can easily go 1-2 years (plus), and that's perfectly normal.  We do have to remember that no crime is alleged; it's all civil and $$.  If it was criminal, it probably would have moved a bit more quickly.

It could be nothing happens until after the 2025 season.  The problem with that is it creates bad optics for Ambrosie.  Don't want to be in his shoes... he's in a pickle here.

At the very least, I hope people around and senior to Kelly are smacking him upside the head telling him to wise up.  Ambrosie should tell him to shape up or he gets the Marino treatment.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 17, 2024, 05:03:12 AMDo we have any sense on whether there will be some movement on the issue before the season starts?  I think closure would go better than keeping it up in the air all season long... even though the latter would be better for the Argos' W/L record.

That said, lawsuits of this size can easily go 1-2 years (plus), and that's perfectly normal.  We do have to remember that no crime is alleged; it's all civil and $$.  If it was criminal, it probably would have moved a bit more quickly.

It could be nothing happens until after the 2025 season.  The problem with that is it creates bad optics for Ambrosie.  Don't want to be in his shoes... he's in a pickle here.

At the very least, I hope people around and senior to Kelly are smacking him upside the head telling him to wise up.  Ambrosie should tell him to shape up or he gets the Marino treatment.

Can't blame the CFL or Ambrosie, the finger is pointed directly at MLSE management for not clearing this issue up and taking care of business in a timely manner, leaving it to linger and get blown way out of proportion.  Now we have Nathan Rourke, "Canada's favourite son" commenting on it!  :D

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 17, 2024, 03:35:00 PMCan't blame the CFL or Ambrosie, the finger is pointed directly at MLSE management for not clearing this issue up and taking care of business in a timely manner, leaving it to linger and get blown way out of proportion.  Now we have Nathan Rourke, "Canada's favourite son" commenting on it!  :D

Surely you jest.

The CFL and Ambroise can do a lot.

They can tell Pinball to get this settled.

The CFL can suspend Kelly pending its investigation (they have suspended other players with credible accusations).  Yes, someone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, but from a contract standpoint, all it takes is a credible accusation to warrant action. 

In my opinion, the CFL has been far to lax in letting MLSE and their lawyers deal with this.  I almost think that the accuser would have been better served had she let the situation continue and/or involve law enforcement earlier.  Had he be allowed to take it to the next level, I am sure our whole outlook on this would change.

But the CFL is doing huge damage to the brand and its supposed stand on protecting women.

Either way this ends, the CFL is going to look bad.  If her claims are proven out, the Argos have failed miserably, and the CFL by association.  If Kelly is exonerated, there ill always be a doubt about whether the highest paid player in the league got away with this due to his stature (given his past and the credibility of the claim).

The CFL needs to get this behind it now, before the season starts and they have to deal with whether Kelly and/or the Argos can play.  Because this isn't just about Kelly, its about how the Argo's seem to have condoned and covered up for their star player.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 17, 2024, 05:00:50 PMThe CFL and Ambroise can do a lot.

They can tell Pinball to get this settled.

That's one thing - and it's not even an effective thing. What else?

They can tell Clemons and co. whatever they'd like, but that doesn't mean he or his bosses have to listen, much less act.

More bad optics don't help anyone, but I don't think it's reasonable to suggest the commissioner can influence an organization in a complex situation such as this one.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 17, 2024, 05:18:57 PMThat's one thing - and it's not even an effective thing. What else?

They can tell Clemons and co. whatever they'd like, but that doesn't mean he or his bosses have to listen, much less act.

More bad optics don't help anyone, but I don't think it's reasonable to suggest the commissioner can influence an organization in a complex situation such as this one.

When you are a franchisee, you do what the franchisor says.  That's the relationship.

Ambroise has all the cards here, and any franchise that is in default of the diversity issues can be held accountable.

Letting this drag through the courts, allowing Kelly to play, I can't see that being an option.  Not when others have been suspended pending outcome of investigations.

Their best option is for Kelly to apologize and the Argos to settle.  I imagine this is what will happen, with the "I'm sorry if she felt that I was acting inappropriately, it was not my intent." non-apology apology without admission of guilt.  The then the Argos pay off her claim for lost wages.

Simple really.  Again, as far as criminal charges, innocent until proven guilty is the law, for sure.  But this is contract and civil litigation, which is a whole different kettle of fish. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 17, 2024, 06:33:17 PMWhen you are a franchisee, you do what the franchisor says.  That's the relationship.

Ambroise has all the cards here...

#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.