Sometimes you need a fresh start

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

I expected we'd bring him back. He's still a good player on ST's and at times on defence. That said, I'd like to see his role more limited on defence however it's not clear who would pick up the slack.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add offensive lineman to roster

WINNIPEG, MB., February 12, 2024 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a one-year contract with veteran Canadian linebacker Shayne Gauthier.

He was scheduled to become a Canadian Football League free agent tomorrow.

Gauthier (5-10, 234; Laval; born: February 2, 1992, in Dolbeau-Mistassini, Que.) returns to the Blue Bombers for an eighth season in 2024 after originally being selected by the club in the fourth round, 28th overall, in the 2016 CFL Draft.

Gauthier was limited to six games in 2023 due to injury, causing him to miss action for the first time in four seasons. He finished the year with six defensive tackles and three more on special teams before suiting up for both the Western Final and Grey Cup games.

He posted career-best numbers in 2022 as he saw regular work in the defensive rotation and finished with 28 tackles and the first two quarterback sacks of his career.

Gauthier has now dressed for 87 regular-season CFL games, all with the Blue Bombers, and is a two-time Grey Cup champion following victories in 2019 and 2021.

He played his college ball at Laval, registering 130 tackles over four seasons while twice being named a RSEQ All-Star while earning CIS Second-Team All-Canadian honours as a senior.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 12, 2024, 03:04:51 PMI expected we'd bring him back. He's still a good player on ST's and at times on defence. That said, I'd like to see his role more limited on defence however it's not clear who would pick up the slack.

Why?  He hasn't hindered your defense in any way.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Great signing, now onto to Gray, Bailey, Clements and Castillo.

Blue In BC

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on February 12, 2024, 07:46:51 PMWhy?  He hasn't hindered your defense in any way.

Lack of speed to be used too often on defence other than situational IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 12, 2024, 08:28:19 PMLack of speed to be used too often on defence other than situational IMO.
Good against the run and can start in a pinch

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 12, 2024, 08:28:19 PMLack of speed to be used too often on defence other than situational IMO.

Lack of speed? I remember his speed saving our bacon in one playoff game against the Riders. I watch a lot of Bomber practices, when healthy, SG44 can still run well for a 5'10" 235 LB.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Gauthier has single-handedly saved 2 (maybe 3) games with his better IQ and awareness and athleticism.  When all the other players are going the wrong way, he's the one sniffing out the real deal.

The limited D reps he does get, he doesn't seem to be a detriment.  You always need a mix of young & old on ST to ensure the torch is passed on properly.  I can see Miller having had a hand in requesting his return.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on February 12, 2024, 09:05:27 PMLack of speed? I remember his speed saving our bacon in one playoff game against the Riders. I watch a lot of Bomber practices, when healthy, SG44 can still run well for a 5'10" 235 LB.

That was 2021 IIRC.  He played 6 games in 2023 and will be 32 before TC starts. You may increase your football IQ as you play longer but you don';t get any faster.

EDIT: I see Briggs was transferred to retired list today.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 12, 2024, 10:20:04 PMThat was 2021 IIRC.  He played 6 games in 2023 and will be 32 before TC starts. You may increase your football IQ as you play longer but you don';t get any faster.

EDIT: I see Briggs was transferred to retired list today.

I really liked Briggs, sad to see him go but he had a good run as a depth player with us.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blueforlife on February 12, 2024, 10:25:08 PMI really liked Briggs, sad to see him go but he had a good run as a depth player with us.

He served the team well but he clearly was on the downside the last couple of years. It was time to move on and we have to find some roster space for a couple of 2024 draft choices.

Interesting that 2021 was his best year on defence but 2023 was a good year for him on ST's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 12, 2024, 10:27:13 PMHe served the team well but he clearly was on the downside the last couple of years. It was time to move on and we have to find some roster space for a couple of 2024 draft choices.

Interesting that 2021 was his best year on defence but 2023 was a good year for him on ST's.

I have never checked his stats but that sounds about right.  Good point about a roster spot for the next gen.