2024 Free Agency Signings/Transactions (Other CFL Teams)

Started by ModAdmin, February 10, 2024, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 08, 2024, 04:02:55 PMLucky was making around $200k for his services the last 2 seasons, it's going to be a hard fall for him salary wise if he wants to continue his CFL career.  Re-signing Grant would be a much cheaper option, hopefully it still happens.

I wasn't suggesting signing Whitehead. No idea what Grant is looking for financially or if he even intends to play in 2024.

Bombers have signed a number of receivers and DB's that could be capable of doing returns. OTOH, some return K/O's and some return punts. Only a few can do both. Whether any of the rookies can win a spot as a DI that can back up as either a DB or receiver is a TBD.

I'd be happy to get Grant back but he might be pricing himself out of the market. I say that due to the fact he hasn't signed anywhere yet??

We also don't know whether the team has allocated funds and made him an offer.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 08, 2024, 04:35:36 PMI wasn't suggesting signing Whitehead. No idea what Grant is looking for financially or if he even intends to play in 2024.

Bombers have signed a number of receivers and DB's that could be capable of doing returns. OTOH, some return K/O's and some return punts. Only a few can do both. Whether any of the rookies can win a spot as a DI that can back up as either a DB or receiver is a TBD.

I'd be happy to get Grant back but he might be pricing himself out of the market. I say that due to the fact he hasn't signed anywhere yet??

We also don't know whether the team has allocated funds and made him an offer.

Walters has confirmed that they have an offer out to Grant and funds allocated.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 08, 2024, 04:02:55 PMLucky was making around $200k for his services the last 2 seasons, it's going to be a hard fall for him salary wise if he wants to continue his CFL career.  Re-signing Grant would be a much cheaper option, hopefully it still happens.
I believe they renegotiated lucky's salary  ly to around 145, likely he would have to take even less now. He seems to have an affinity to wpg so that might help
 The question is how positively do we assess the potential recruits if grant doesn't resign

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on April 08, 2024, 04:38:07 PMWalters has confirmed that they have an offer out to Grant and funds allocated.

That's good to know but doesn't quite answer why he hasn't re-signed. He's usually one of the last to re-sign each year and it may be as simple as that.

If he doesn't re-sign I wonder if there is somewhere else to " spend " allocated money. Obviously there will need to be another player added as a returner but there will some additional cash over an ELC deal.

Just random numbers as an example but if they offered $120K, that's about $50K over an ELC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on April 08, 2024, 04:50:06 PMI believe they renegotiated lucky's salary  ly to around 145, likely he would have to take even less now. He seems to have an affinity to wpg so that might help
 The question is how positively do we assess the potential recruits if grant doesn't resign

Trial and error in game action, I don't think there's any other way to assess a returners true ability.

theaardvark

Love what Lucky brings off the field, but his flashes of brilliance on the field are overshadowed by the oopsies he seems to make with those little arms.  I can't see him as even a backup REC option on our roster, so it would have to be a returned only DI position, so I don't think Walters would make that offer, unless again if Lucky just wants to play, regardless pay....
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

The season we got both Lucky and Grant. one could have been forgiven for thinking Lucky was the better keep, and there were possibly raised eyebrows when we let Lucky walk so easily/quickly.  Grant looked like the better returner, but not by much, and Lucky also really shined on O...  Remember the Nichols-shrug hitch screen TD for like 45Y?  Lucky.

Normally you keep the dual-threat.  But once again KW/MOS were the wise ones as Lucky's receiving rapidly went downhill after his departure, and he got pulled from doing returns.  He never had good hands.  Which is too bad, as he could have been the next Speedy B.

Grant went on to produce amazing returns for us over all subsequent seasons, including his best return eva in 2023.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 08, 2024, 05:07:36 PMThat's good to know but doesn't quite answer why he hasn't re-signed. He's usually one of the last to re-sign each year and it may be as simple as that.

If he doesn't re-sign I wonder if there is somewhere else to " spend " allocated money. Obviously there will need to be another player added as a returner but there will some additional cash over an ELC deal.

Just random numbers as an example but if they offered $120K, that's about $50K over an ELC.

I'm guessing he was asked to take a pay cut and teams are still unsure whether or not returners will be devalued by rule changes.
My wife is amazing!

blueraid

Lucky is yesterdays news ....I hope Grant reups and we can stop worrying about that position...We have brought in a few speedsters as a 'just in case' and it'll be interesting to see what they bring in tc....BUT there's nothing like experience and that's what Grant brings...I hope he comes around and signs

theaardvark

Quote from: blueraid on April 09, 2024, 03:45:48 PMLucky is yesterdays news ....I hope Grant reups and we can stop worrying about that position...We have brought in a few speedsters as a 'just in case' and it'll be interesting to see what they bring in tc....BUT there's nothing like experience and that's what Grant brings...I hope he comes around and signs

I always worried about the position when Grant WAS here... the TD returns were great, but most of the time he was just OK, and he never played a full season, only 8 games last year. 

Lucky missed a lot of games as well.

I think we enter the season with a new KR/PR Di on the roster that either backs up at DB or WR, and one or 2 on the PR/IR.  And I think we will have a few options on the AR who are either backups or starters that can slot in when necessary.  I'd really love to see the next Holm stealing reps at PR/KR in TC to nail down his spot on the roster.

Maybe we see Tyrell Ford take the spot.  He's going to be on the roster, whether he starts or not is a question, but he could easily make the AR by holding down the KR/PR spot and backing up at CB.

From his Wiki page:

University career

Ford played U Sports football for the Waterloo Warriors from 2017 to 2021. Over four seasons, he played in 30 games where he had 94 total tackles, six sacks, 20 pass knockdowns, and six interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. He was also a kick returner for the team where he had 40 kick returns for 733 yards and 82 punt returns for 1,139 yards and three touchdowns.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

With Grant it comes down to can he stay healthy. He's only 5'9" and 157 lbs. He has only played 41 games over 4 years. He averages 8 yards receiving, and 8.9 rushing. He has one TD return on KRs and averages 24 yards per return. PR is were he does his damage. 7 PR for TDs, and a 12.88 avg. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 09, 2024, 09:05:45 AMThe season we got both Lucky and Grant. one could have been forgiven for thinking Lucky was the better keep, and there were possibly raised eyebrows when we let Lucky walk so easily/quickly.  Grant looked like the better returner, but not by much, and Lucky also really shined on O...  Remember the Nichols-shrug hitch screen TD for like 45Y?  Lucky.

Normally you keep the dual-threat.  But once again KW/MOS were the wise ones as Lucky's receiving rapidly went downhill after his departure, and he got pulled from doing returns.  He never had good hands.  Which is too bad, as he could have been the next Speedy B.

Grant went on to produce amazing returns for us over all subsequent seasons, including his best return eva in 2023.

Lucky actually lost his starting receiver job to Bailey after losing the return job to Grant.  Although small, apparently Grant is super strong and lifts weights with the D-linemen.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 09, 2024, 05:29:45 PMLucky actually lost his starting receiver job to Bailey after losing the return job to Grant.

In a manner of speaking, sure. Whitehead was injured in the LDC in 2019 and missed the next two games.

IIRC, Grant and Whitehead shared return duties for much of the 2019 season. I don't think the latter lost his starting role in that capacity.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 09, 2024, 05:40:06 PMIIRC, Grant and Whitehead shared return duties for much of the 2019 season. I don't think the latter lost his starting role in that capacity.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 09, 2024, 05:29:45 PMLucky actually lost his starting receiver job to Bailey after losing the return job to Grant.  Although small, apparently Grant is super strong and lifts weights with the D-linemen.

That's a good point.  Bailey being a really good grinder and blocker with decent hands probably was the nail in Lucky's blue & gold coffin.

It's important to note that Lucky didn't lose anything in-season, it was in FA we let him walk, after careful consideration of the team's needs.  It is really hard to justify dressing, let alone starting, 2 Speedy-B types, especially in our grind'em scheme.

We did bounce back and forth between Lucky/Grant in-season, whether due to injury or water-testing.  I think we were doing thorough try-outs knowing we had to give up one in FA.

From memory, I think we had Lucky on ELC and he was not FA and we just outright released him?  Why don't we ever make strategic plays like other teams seem to (looking at you TOR) and re-sign him with the sole purpose of trading him for some high DPs??  We knew he was coveted, but we just let him walk for free to BC.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 09, 2024, 09:57:12 PMFrom memory, I think we had Lucky on ELC and he was not FA and we just outright released him?

I think the 2020 cancelled season really muddied the waters and IIRC, he became a free agent in Feb. 2021 and the Bombers were not able to match what the Lions offered.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず