2024 Free Agency Signings/Transactions (Blue Bombers)

Started by ModAdmin, February 10, 2024, 04:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Quote from: bwiser on February 14, 2024, 09:36:09 PMThere is still some other key free agents that are still unsigned like Grant, Castilio, Walker and Bailey. Its been a tough off season for the Bombers. Hopefully we can find some good replacements.

When you've been to 4 straight cups, your roster must be a little top heavy with talent, and re-signing them all is impossible.  The best teams are going to lose players.  The fact that there were two top FA's on ou team that we re-signed is amazing.

Toronto lost:

Bede
Bladek
Leake
Oulette
Peters
Pickett

Pretty big pieces to lose...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 14, 2024, 09:48:39 PMSounds like Bailey may be gone.

You had to think once, they signed Schoen, there was no money to sign Bailey.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

I can't see Bailey not getting signed elsewhere for a decent wage, more than we can afford.  We could pay an ELC level contract, but he deserves much more.  But who knows, if he doesn't get any offers elsewhere, he could be back... 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

J5V

Quote from: theaardvark on February 14, 2024, 10:35:11 PMI can't see Bailey not getting signed elsewhere for a decent wage, more than we can afford.  We could pay an ELC level contract, but he deserves much more.  But who knows, if he doesn't get any offers elsewhere, he could be back... 
I would really be sad to see Bailey playing elsewhere. The guy bled blue and gold.
Go Bombers!

Waffler

Walters said he doesn't expect to sign any CFL free agents in the coming days. In fact, the club released 31-year-old fullback Damian Jackson on Wednesday, in what could be the first of more to come in order to create some much-needed cap room.

"We just don't have any money," he said. "The spots that are available are going to be for training-camp battles for young players, for first-year players. If somebody wants to come in on a minimum contract, we might kick the tires on that."

- Free Press, Jeff Hamilton
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Waffler on February 14, 2024, 10:49:01 PMWalters said he doesn't expect to sign any CFL free agents in the coming days. In fact, the club released 31-year-old fullback Damian Jackson on Wednesday, in what could be the first of more to come in order to create some much-needed cap room.

"We just don't have any money," he said. "The spots that are available are going to be for training-camp battles for young players, for first-year players. If somebody wants to come in on a minimum contract, we might kick the tires on that."

- Free Press, Jeff Hamilton

Don't like this one bit, too many holes to fill.  The cost of stacking the offence and letting the D whither.

dd

Its too bad about no money to sign Bailey, and hopefully he catches on with another team, as he is a solid player. But really, there's only 1 ball to go around, and who do you take it away from Lawler?? Schoen?? Olivera?? who are all big $$$ signings, and then there's also Demski and Woli...that's 5 legit options for ZC. ya gotta give something up and I guess this is it

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on February 14, 2024, 11:29:46 PMIts too bad about no money to sign Bailey, and hopefully he catches on with another team, as he is a solid player. But really, there's only 1 ball to go around, and who do you take it away from Lawler?? Schoen?? Olivera?? who are all big $$$ signings, and then there's also Demski and Woli...that's 5 legit options for ZC. ya gotta give something up and I guess this is it

Receiver isn't really the problem, but maybe no Grant or Castillo...that's a problem.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 14, 2024, 11:58:36 PMReceiver isn't really the problem, but maybe no Grant or Castillo...that's a problem.

It sounds like both of those are still in the works, and in the budget...

Sad to see Damian Jackson go, he was a heart guy, even if he wasn't the most talented, there was no doubting his desire.

Blueforlife

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2024, 12:02:10 AMIt sounds like both of those are still in the works, and in the budget...

Sad to see Damian Jackson go, he was a heart guy, even if he wasn't the most talented, there was no doubting his desire.
Unfortunate

Losing Clements hurts and I am sad if Bailey is gone

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2024, 12:02:10 AMIt sounds like both of those are still in the works, and in the budget...

If true I'm good with Jackson being let go. It couldn't have been about money since he'd have been on an ELC. Wasting a DI spot on an import FB was just a bad idea for our ratio.

That said it's no guarantee we don't add another import FB in 2024. Hopefully that's NOT what we do.

Interesting that this decision was made so early before TC. Releasing 1 player from an ELC in order to add another does squat for cap room. It just gives an opportunity to improve.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Derek Taylor🏈
@DTonOB
ยท
10h
Bombers GM Kyle Walters reveals that DB Tyrell Ford will be back with the Bombers this season. He's under contract through the end of this year after a year in the NFL.
#CFL
Dave Naylor reposted
Derek Taylor🏈
@DTonOB
Walters says guys they've moved on from CB Winston Rose, WR Rasheed Bailey and LG Geoff Gray.
Expects that Ford & Tyrique McGhee will be in the mix at corner this season.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on February 13, 2024, 07:42:35 PMI think, with the $SMS and the success of our scouting/coaching, FA season is always going to be a heartbreak for us

Yup, you guys sussed out what is going on here.  We've been subject to it for every season since our '19 GC win.  When you're the best, you spend all the effort and money to maintain the status quo as much as possible.  After all, they won you a cup, they can win you another.

You hope you can keep enough of them so that everything can keep on ticking along.  Any holes you pray you gets some scouting finds / DPs.

KW usually finds just enough $$ to maybe make 1 FA "splash", often an aging vet.  Very rarely is it a key piece we are missing though.

In contrast, for the "have not" teams, FA is an exciting time because you are throwing away half your roster and making FA splashes left and right.  When you're garbage, the only possible direction to go is up.  See OTT, EDM, SSK.

And it all makes sense and repeats and rhymes for every team, and no one holds onto the title of "best" or "garbage" for very long.  I still remember when we were the dumpster fire team and every FA announcement was great news!  That's only around 8-13 years ago!

On the bright side, TOR and MTL are now in the same boat we are trying to maintain their roster and no money leftover.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 14, 2024, 07:01:24 PMNot Sure about the basis for all this criticism aimed at Kolankowski

Ya, Ko-man wasn't the cause of big problems.  You mostly didn't notice he was there.  The worst I can say about him is he isn't as good as Couture or Goosen (yet?).  But he's good enough.
Never go full Rider!