2024 Free Agency Signings/Transactions (Blue Bombers)

Started by ModAdmin, February 10, 2024, 04:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on March 19, 2024, 01:56:25 PMand I can't see Betts signing in BC for that much o a discount.  50/50 at best he ends up in BC.

Who knows where Betts ends up, but he will be a hot commodity.  He'll command at least $40k over Kongbo, maybe much much more.  Arguably the best NAT DL out there, and it's a ratio-busting position to start a NAT.

No way WPG can get in on the bidding, but in magical fairy land if he was ELC$ I'd take him in a heartbeat.  He seems a bit "weird", but that doesn't mean he wouldn't fit in.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on March 20, 2024, 12:18:45 AMHere's a scary thought, what happens if Willie gets hurt??!!

Never gonna happen.  Have you seen Willie?  Job #1 for Willie is keeping Willie healthy.  Job #2 is being the best DE.  It's a trade-off I've accepted long ago.  I don't even moan about it anymore.

Just watch Willie.  He's like a cat.  He rolls with every single fall.  It's an amazing thing that more people should notice.  He reminds me of good judo guys, and I have little doubt he has studied judo.  He knows how to fall better than anyone.

He stays away from piles or gang tackles unless it's the post-season (even then...).  When the play has passed, he rarely chases (at best jogs).  He has an uncanny sense of where each part of his body is, and is good at withdrawing it from danger.

He never gets whacked.  He never gets rolled up on.  He never gets piled on.

And he's the best there is.  And I think he's dressed for every game since he joined?  If not, it was early in his stint that he missed some, since I don't remember them.  What DE can you say dresses & starts for every game each season?  It tends to be a high-attrition position (remember Kongbo? Jeffcoat?).

Nah, I'm not concerned about Willie getting hurt.  The more likely scenario is age catches up with him and he tapers off like Odell... but I think we have a couple of years before that happens.
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 20, 2024, 03:11:40 AMWho knows where Betts ends up, but he will be a hot commodity.  He'll command at least $40k over Kongbo, maybe much much more.  Arguably the best NAT DL out there, and it's a ratio-busting position to start a NAT.

No way WPG can get in on the bidding, but in magical fairy land if he was ELC$ I'd take him in a heartbeat.  He seems a bit "weird", but that doesn't mean he wouldn't fit in.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal pick up Betts if he becomes available. They've already shown to be aggressive in season (last year both Sankey and Lemon were midseason additions) and they likely have the most cap space.

theaardvark

The only case where Betts is on our radar is if Willie is out of the picture... but even then, we don't need teh NAT premium...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on March 20, 2024, 04:25:54 PMI wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal pick up Betts if he becomes available. They've already shown to be aggressive in season (last year both Sankey and Lemon were midseason additions) and they likely have the most cap space.

Is Betts a francophone?  I thought he sounded funny in on-field interviews.  Seems like a mumbler so it's hard to tell what's going on there.  Anyhow, my point being that MTL explicitly admits they prioritize francophones when evaluating players.  So you very well could be right...
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 20, 2024, 03:19:42 AMNever gonna happen.  Have you seen Willie?  Job #1 for Willie is keeping Willie healthy.  Job #2 is being the best DE.  It's a trade-off I've accepted long ago.  I don't even moan about it anymore.

Just watch Willie.  He's like a cat.  He rolls with every single fall.  It's an amazing thing that more people should notice.  He reminds me of good judo guys, and I have little doubt he has studied judo.  He knows how to fall better than anyone.

He stays away from piles or gang tackles unless it's the post-season (even then...).  When the play has passed, he rarely chases (at best jogs).  He has an uncanny sense of where each part of his body is, and is good at withdrawing it from danger.

He never gets whacked.  He never gets rolled up on.  He never gets piled on.

And he's the best there is.  And I think he's dressed for every game since he joined?  If not, it was early in his stint that he missed some, since I don't remember them.  What DE can you say dresses & starts for every game each season?  It tends to be a high-attrition position (remember Kongbo? Jeffcoat?).

Nah, I'm not concerned about Willie getting hurt.  The more likely scenario is age catches up with him and he tapers off like Odell... but I think we have a couple of years before that happens.
I hear what you're saying, yes indeed he does take care of himself, but I never like to say never. He lines up sometimes as a DT, and if ever he was going to get hurt, it would be by a cut block. Hope it never happens but if it does, we'll be in the market for an impact DE, hello Mr. Betts

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 20, 2024, 07:54:09 PMIs Betts a francophone?  I thought he sounded funny in on-field interviews.  Seems like a mumbler so it's hard to tell what's going on there.  Anyhow, my point being that MTL explicitly admits they prioritize francophones when evaluating players.  So you very well could be right...

Know anyone English that spells Matthew, "Mathieu"?  Plenty of weird spelling for common names nowadays, but that ain't one of them.  Born in Montreal, played football at Laval, learned to speak English last Tuesday.

Stretch

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on March 21, 2024, 01:24:30 AMKnow anyone English that spells Matthew, "Mathieu"?  Plenty of weird spelling for common names nowadays, but that ain't one of them.  Born in Montreal, played football at Laval, learned to speak English last Tuesday.

Not only that, I believe he's done some teaching in Quebec in the off-seasons.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

dd

Quote from: Stretch on March 21, 2024, 05:55:44 PMNot only that, I believe he's done some teaching in Quebec in the off-seasons.
So Montreal it is!!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on March 22, 2024, 12:22:49 AMSo Montreal it is!!

Ya, they'll be drooling over him, alright.  I bet Mr. Glasses has already budgeted space for him.

The funny thing is, I rewatched the painful early '23 loss to BC and Betts was killing us, and I think TSN was showing and talking about how "Bowman" was teaching Betts all the tricks.  If that's Mr MTL DL Bowman then it all circles back to MTL, eh?  I wonder if BC realized they just had a "rental"...

P.S. On-air they always just say "Matthew", I had no idea it was spelled any other way.  Ya, it's a tip-off alright.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

It's nice to hear a good old Canadian boy makes good.  He had a great year.  When he gets older maybe we can get a tenth team into Quebec, one of the Maritime cities, and Victoria.

I mean if the USFL  OR UFL can lure desperate young Americans to keep the dream alive why cant Canada?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Another great Streveler interview, he exudes such a positive attitude it's contagious.