2024 Free Agency Signings/Transactions (Blue Bombers)

Started by ModAdmin, February 10, 2024, 04:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Quote from: dd on March 17, 2024, 05:44:58 PMI would be keeping an eye on mathieu betts and how things work out for him in Detroit, if he gets cut there, I'd be making a hard run at him as he's a stud NAT D lineman if there ever was one
we can't afford him. If we had the cap space we would have gone after Hendrix, Robertson or even AC leonard. A national isn't relevant as we have enough starting. Heck we couldn't even afford Kongbo or Walker

ModAdmin

Betts gets a lot of deserved credit for his 18 sacks and 4 forced fumbles. But beyond that, he was average at best as a defender.  Agree we probably can't afford him if he returns to the CFL but I have confidence we will find a decent replacement for Jeffcoat (I believe we did well in re-signing the core players we had as free agents).
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on March 18, 2024, 11:00:09 AMCount me as out on  Betts for any price.

Betts may be a bit of a 1 trick pony in that he gets sacks but fails in other responsibilities of a DE. That siad, for the right price he'd be valuable when you need pressure on the QB.

He isn't worth what he's asking but for $100K a team would be foolish to not sign him. Obviously he's not going to sign for that little but just making a point. There is a point where the value of any player is measured against his contribution / effectiveness.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

We will have to develop and find some guys to fill our holes next couple of camps, the low and slow approach to developing our defense will work again.  I just wish we could retain them longer but that's how the CFL biz works.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: ModAdmin on March 18, 2024, 03:41:43 AMBetts gets a lot of deserved credit for his 18 sacks and 4 forced fumbles. But beyond that, he was average at best as a defender.  Agree we probably can't afford him if he returns to the CFL but I have confidence we will find a decent replacement for Jeffcoat (I believe we did well in re-signing the core players we had as free agents).

Did you take into account pressures, tackles for loss, knockdown?

Throw Long Bannatyne

AC Leonard hinting at retirement.

Still think he would be a great counterpoint to Willie, but if the team had that kind of money, they could have retained Jeffcoat.

ModAdmin

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on March 18, 2024, 07:32:06 PMDid you take into account pressures, tackles for loss, knockdown?
Did not analyze all his stats. Just going by my personal observations. He was 37th in defensive stats last year so nothing monumental.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dd

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 18, 2024, 02:18:45 PMBetts may be a bit of a 1 trick pony in that he gets sacks but fails in other responsibilities of a DE. That siad, for the right price he'd be valuable when you need pressure on the QB.

He isn't worth what he's asking but for $100K a team would be foolish to not sign him. Obviously he's not going to sign for that little but just making a point. There is a point where the value of any player is measured against his contribution / effectiveness.

I m thinking he's going to go through the NFL process and will come at a discount, and face it, our D line is going to suffer with the loss of Jeffcoat, it is, signing a stud like Betts at a reduced SMS hit just makes sense for us

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on March 18, 2024, 09:55:05 PMI m thinking he's going to go through the NFL process and will come at a discount, and face it, our D line is going to suffer with the loss of Jeffcoat, it is, signing a stud like Betts at a reduced SMS hit just makes sense for us

A discount perhaps and due to the fact he may not return to the CFL until mid season. Not every team will have SMS or interest at that point.

Every team including the Bombers may have found the next Jeffcoat or at least a very good 1st year player. Injuries might come into play regarding the need of a given team along with SMS moved to 6 game IR etc etc.

So I wouldn't rule him out but I'm not interested in paying him a high SMS at any point.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Looks like we've signed an offensive tackle; Larnel Coleman 6'6 307 lbs, has good size and agility for a cfl tackle
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2940322-larnel-coleman-nfl-draft-2021-scouting-report-for-miami-dolphins-ot

theaardvark

Quote from: dd on March 18, 2024, 09:55:05 PMI m thinking he's going to go through the NFL process and will come at a discount, and face it, our D line is going to suffer with the loss of Jeffcoat, it is, signing a stud like Betts at a reduced SMS hit just makes sense for us

If anyone is going to have no $SMS, its going to be us... No chance we can find a way to sign Betts unless we lose a couple of high $SMS players to injury and have that relief.  But even then, unless we have sero luck replacing our Dlinemen, I can't see Betts being a priority...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

It's a stretch to see Betts sticking in the NFL.  He will be back and it all depends on who has some extra cash at that point to sign him.  Odds are he will likely re-sign with the Lions.

theaardvark

Quote from: ModAdmin on March 19, 2024, 05:22:02 AMIt's a stretch to see Betts sticking in the NFL.  He will be back and it all depends on who has some extra cash at that point to sign him.  Odds are he will likely re-sign with the Lions.

He won't be back until the season has started if he returns, and by that time, someone is going to either be injured, or found to be past his due date, and there will be a hole to fill.  8 out of 9 times that will not be BC, and I can't see Betts signing in BC for that much o a discount.  50/50 at best he ends up in BC.  Given Machiocha's mid season FA acquisition bent, I can see him just as likely in MTL.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

dd

Here's a scary thought, what happens if Willie gets hurt??!! Never say never to picking up an impact D end at a reduced price. We ll see how this plays out and how our D line does without Jeffcoat, but as I recall when he was hurt our D line was average at best. That ain't gonna get it done for us this year. We spent sooo much on O and we re limping on our D line