2024 Free Agency Signings/Transactions (Blue Bombers)

Started by ModAdmin, February 10, 2024, 04:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

QuoteAdditions/Re-Signings:

*The Winnipeg Blue Bombers were inactive on Tuesday

 :-\
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pete

Perhaps Walters/O'Shea are too enamored with our own players that we fail to take chances to improve the team .That we didn't try to sign a fullback, didn't move on from Thomas, and the amount we spent to keep our own free agents are indicators

kkc60

Quote from: Pete on February 14, 2024, 03:13:01 PMPerhaps Walters/O'Shea are too enamored with our own players that we fail to take chances to improve the team .That we didn't try to sign a fullback, didn't move on from Thomas, and the amount we spent to keep our own free agents are indicators
I think that may be part of the problem, you can only try running it back so many times. I don't have really any issues with the re-signings made, but last seasons team had holes and so far none of those holes have been properly filled

blue_gold_84

I'm still baffled that Castillo hasn't been re-signed.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on February 14, 2024, 03:13:01 PMPerhaps Walters/O'Shea are too enamored with our own players that we fail to take chances to improve the team .That we didn't try to sign a fullback, didn't move on from Thomas, and the amount we spent to keep our own free agents are indicators

There is no doubt that we are enamored with the players that have gotten us to FOUR STRAIGHT GREY CUPS, and have done our best to retain as many as possible.

Any signing of an available non-Bomber FA would come at the sacrifice of one or more Bomber FA's.  As it is, we have lost some key pieces simply because of budget.  No way we could compete for FA's that would "improve" our team.

We will, once again, lose players to FA and NFL, and replace them with drafting,scouting and coaching.  Not participating in the FA market is not a sign of not being interested in improving, but rather a sign that our front office is wisely avoiding the easy way out that some teams use to "buy" a team, but rather work on scouting and developing and creating players that other teams covet and overpay to have them come aboard.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 14, 2024, 03:31:41 PMI'm still baffled that Castillo hasn't been re-signed.

We have no idea the ask/offer for Castillo, but the fact he hasn't even been rumoured to be signing elsewhere is a good sign.  We might see a change at that position if the two sides cannot come to terms, its not like we haven't drafted/developed a P/K before.  And we already have some coming into camp, have 10 draft picks and there is also the global draft...  so I'm not worried.  Ether Castillo fits in the budget, or we save some money on a rookie.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

Quote from: theaardvark on February 14, 2024, 03:41:53 PMThere is no doubt that we are enamored with the players that have gotten us to FOUR STRAIGHT GREY CUPS, and have done our best to retain as many as possible.

Any signing of an available non-Bomber FA would come at the sacrifice of one or more Bomber FA's.  As it is, we have lost some key pieces simply because of budget.  No way we could compete for FA's that would "improve" our team.

We will, once again, lose players to FA and NFL, and replace them with drafting,scouting and coaching.  Not participating in the FA market is not a sign of not being interested in improving, but rather a sign that our front office is wisely avoiding the easy way out that some teams use to "buy" a team, but rather work on scouting and developing and creating players that other teams covet and overpay to have them come aboard.
I agree that we want to maintain the consistency. but I don't want to fall into the trap the stamps did at the end of their run. They too were known for not signing anyone else's free agents then bagan the spiral. For us,, both last year and this year we needed to make a few targeted acquisitions to improve our team (fix holes as stated earlier) or mitigate the losses that occur to free agency.
A few other top teams from ly have done just that
bc loses Betts signs Robertson, recognizes they had a run/pass imbalance so they let rhymes go and signs stanback
toronto loses hendricks makes a trade to get ceresna, loses Peters and signs Adeleke, Loses Oullette signs Carey.
Both Hardrcik and Jeffcoat fall into the categories of being hard to recruit a player that can step right in and be effective.
there are still a few players we can sign hopefully we react

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 14, 2024, 03:31:41 PMI'm still baffled that Castillo hasn't been re-signed.

Quote from: theaardvark on February 14, 2024, 03:44:46 PMWe have no idea the ask/offer for Castillo, but the fact he hasn't even been rumoured to be signing elsewhere is a good sign.  We might see a change at that position if the two sides cannot come to terms, its not like we haven't drafted/developed a P/K before.  And we already have some coming into camp, have 10 draft picks and there is also the global draft...  so I'm not worried.  Ether Castillo fits in the budget, or we save some money on a rookie.

That's crazy talk, O'Shea wouldn't stand for it.  The entire organization knows how important the FG kicker is to the teams win/ loss record.  Second most important player next to the QB, the only other player that can immediately turn a loss into a win or vice versa.

CrazyCanuck89

Apparently Tyrell Ford is back, according to Twitter.


LXTSN

Bailey will be probably the toughest to lose, as he is a big glue-guy/dirty-work type of guy for our offence.
However... it's our 4/5th look on offence so on paper it won't look like much.

Rose has been up and down, but with Ford back, I think we should be okay there.
I remember a few years ago being worried about our secondary starting 2 rookies. Those rookies were Alford and Nichols LOL. They always find the diamond in the rough when it comes to the DB's.

In my opinion Eli or Dobson in for Gray will be a net positive, but let's see!

peg_city

Bombers sign former NFLer TJ Watt to a one year deal worth 200K

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 14, 2024, 03:31:41 PMI'm still baffled that Castillo hasn't been re-signed.

He will be. They're just still haggling.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!