OLine solutions...

Started by TecnoGenius, February 09, 2024, 05:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

This really needs its own thread.  Lots of talk in the FA threads, etc.  But no real consensus as to what is going on.

Losing Yoshi (Hardrick) is huge, but not insurmountable.  So do we finally move Gray (if retained) there, or slide Neufeld in, or risk it on Ivy?

So posters have said Richmond retired.  That's bad timing, unless we clearly weren't enthused.  He never did show much.  McGloster was the better one and we should have tried to keep him, instead of him beating us by locking down Willie most of the GC.  So posters have said Ivy is the only real in-house IMP tackle.

Does Gray walk?  No chatter yet in the tamper period, so it's looking good for retaining him, I guess.  Does Yoshi walking let Gray ask for mega-$$ if he knows he's our only option at RT??

Eli is set, but Dobson is still a question.  We usually can retain the dev guys.  I think Spooner is the last good dev guy we lost in FA?  (Going by memory.)  I'm thinking we do keep Dobson?  I would make it a priority.  He's great as the 6th and clearly will be good enough to be a starting G in another season or so.  And isn't our NAT OL cupboard bare after those guys?

So have at it.  Let's hear the best guesses -- real good guesses -- as to what we're doing to fill those 2 gaping holes as well as 6th spot and new guys for the hopper.  What are the odds we go 4 NAT OL?  Is an early/mid-career FA IMP a possibility?  KW has done it 3 time before.  Can Ivy possibly get it done?  Or will the scouts come up with near-impossible magic (never been done in WFC?)?

After QB (where we're set), these questions are probably the most important ones that will define the success of the team in 2024.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Ivy has some time on the team, but the guy I'm interested in is Vanterpool.  6'6, 315 and his scouting reviews are glowing.  He might not have NFL skills/size. but he seems perfect for CFL.  And cming in at RT is easier than LT, and with our coaches and Big Stan to guide him, and Eli that went to the same school.. I think we might end up with a gooder here.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Vanterpool was 1 of 14 T's in FBS to not allow a sack in 500+ snaps. Also didn't take a penalty in 900+ snaps.

Good size and is an interesting candidate. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Richmond back before TC if the team makes him a better contract offer. I can why he wouldn't want another ELC deal but how much would it take?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

I lean towards giving Ivey the shot, however... There will need to be competition. From my knowledge, Ivey hasn't been dressed for a single game in the CFL. That doesn't give him much of a head start on the other guys that we bring into camp. Vanterpool I had never heard of before today but that seems like a solid option as well.

I don't love the second option of starting a national at tackle. Our options would be Gray (if re-signed) or Eli. I don't trust Gray at all in that position (I barely trust him at left guard), and I don't think Eli would be mobile enough at RT.

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 09, 2024, 03:34:06 PMVanterpool was 1 of 14 T's in FBS to not allow a sack in 500+ snaps. Also didn't take a penalty in 900+ snaps.

Good size and is an interesting candidate. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Richmond back before TC if the team makes him a better contract offer. I can why he wouldn't want another ELC deal but how much would it take?

You have to wonder why Richardson, who was under contract already, would choose to retire.  Under a deal he had agreed to.  No, when he agreed to that deal, Yoshi and Big Stan were not going anywhere except by injury, where Richardson would be able to come in and prove himself.  He unfortunately didn't get that chance.

Now that Yoshi has moved on, he would have been asked to compete for a starting spot, at the American Oline backup salary.  Walters does not have to offer him any more, the contract is valid.  But he could have put in more/better playing time bonuses. 

Walters is not known for renegotiating contracts, even with future stars. See: Dalton Schoen.  Richardson cannot sign in the CFL without a release from the Bombers.  If he changes his mind about playing out his deal and proving himself a CFL starting tackle, we might see him in camp.  If he has a non-football career ready to go, then probably not.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 09, 2024, 03:34:06 PMVanterpool was 1 of 14 T's in FBS to not allow a sack in 500+ snaps. Also didn't take a penalty in 900+ snaps.

Vanterpool starting in his first week in the CFL is basically impossible, no?  When is the last time a young OL came up from the states to start in his first year?  It's not just WFC that develops these guys for 1-3+ years before they can start: it's a league-wide thing.  Sure, there's got to be exceptions forced into injury-replacement duty that were good, but I can't name any at the moment, and in any event, they are rare.  NATs seem better at doing that... maybe because Canada U sports better prepares them for the CFL game?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: LXTSN on February 09, 2024, 03:41:30 PMI lean towards giving Ivey the shot, however... There will need to be competition.

Ivey (not Ivy I guess) was miles behind Richmond in development... If I/we didn't think Richmond was ready, then Ivey must certainly not be either?  But I guess potential desperation can lead to unorthodox decisions?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on February 09, 2024, 03:43:07 PMYou have to wonder why Richardson, who was under contract already, would choose to retire.

You mean Richmond?

He wasn't up for FA?  I didn't know that.  Retiring while under contract is interesting.  Was he on his 2nd contract with us?  Surely he wasn't still on his first?  I thought he'd been here 2-3+ seasons?

I still think we found him lacking and will not be interested in pursuit.  But I could be wrong now that desperation may be setting in.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on February 09, 2024, 03:43:07 PMNo, when he agreed to that deal, Yoshi and Big Stan were not going anywhere except by injury, where Richardson would be able to come in and prove himself.  He unfortunately didn't get that chance.

There were a couple of 2023 games where Yoshi was out with injury, and instead of putting Richmond in RT, we just moved Neufeld to RT and put the NAT spares in at RG.

Looking back now, this may have been seen as an insult to Richmond who, as you said above, should have been activated to finally get his chance.  (Maybe also an insult to Gray!)
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 09, 2024, 08:31:03 PMIvey (not Ivy I guess) was miles behind Richmond in development... If I/we didn't think Richmond was ready, then Ivey must certainly not be either?  But I guess potential desperation can lead to unorthodox decisions?

I remember Ivey from last pre-season and was not impressed, but who knows.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 09, 2024, 08:48:33 PMI remember Ivey from last pre-season and was not impressed, but who knows.

TBH both Ivey and Richmond stunk up the joint in PS and garbage-season when dressed.  Doesn't mean they can't still improve.  Clearly IMP OLs takes time to dev, kind of like IMP QBs.  I'm certainly not making a statement on Ivey's future, just Ivey's present (or more accurately, Ivey's last 300 days).

Were Stanley and Yoshi starting full time in their rookie seasons?  I'll guess: no?  Look at them now.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 09, 2024, 08:38:30 PMThere were a couple of 2023 games where Yoshi was out with injury, and instead of putting Richmond in RT, we just moved Neufeld to RT and put the NAT spares in at RG.

Looking back now, this may have been seen as an insult to Richmond who, as you said above, should have been activated to finally get his chance.  (Maybe also an insult to Gray!)

Pretty sure Neufeld didn't have any snaps at RT last season and not sure Yoshi missed any games.  Richmond did play the entire last game against the Stamps in place of Bryant in late Oct.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 09, 2024, 09:15:35 PMPretty sure Neufeld didn't have any snaps at RT last season and not sure Yoshi missed any games.  Richmond did play the entire last game against the Stamps in place of Bryant in late Oct.

It may have been 2022, but I thought 2023.  If Neuf didn't play a snap at RT in either year then I'm going insane; I'm nearly positive I'm right, though.  I'll dig through the depth charts and get back to you.

Edit: Hmm, can't immediately find it in the charts, so it would have had to be an in-game temp replacement.  Still pretty sure Neuf did take snaps at RT, because I made a mental note (and probably forum note, knowing me) that it was odd we didn't move Gray over.  But if not in the charts, it couldn't have been an entire start.  Maybe someone else remembers this so I don't have to go nuts digging through all my PVR?

Note: Lofton seems to have gotten many of the pre/garbage-season RT snaps, according to the charts.  What happened to him?
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 09, 2024, 09:37:21 PMIt may have been 2022, but I thought 2023.  If Neuf didn't play a snap at RT in either year then I'm going insane; I'm nearly positive I'm right, though.  I'll dig through the depth charts and get back to you.

Edit: Hmm, can't immediately find it in the charts, so it would have had to be an in-game temp replacement.  Still pretty sure Neuf did take snaps at RT, because I made a mental note (and probably forum note, knowing me) that it was odd we didn't move Gray over.  But if not in the charts, it couldn't have been an entire start.  Maybe someone else remembers this so I don't have to go nuts digging through all my PVR?

Note: Lofton seems to have gotten many of the pre/garbage-season RT snaps, according to the charts.  What happened to him?

Lofton played LT for the Riders for 5-6 games last season but is listed as a FA now.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 09, 2024, 09:54:39 PMLofton played LT for the Riders for 5-6 games last season but is listed as a FA now.

Ooof, if he's partially responsible for that tire fire in SSK last season... hard pass on him!!   :D
Never go full Rider!