Blue Bombers agree to terms with safety Brandon Alexander

Started by ModAdmin, February 08, 2024, 03:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers agree to terms with safety Brandon Alexander

WINNIPEG, MB., February 7, 2024 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a one-year extension with veteran safety Brandon Alexander.

Alexander (6-0, 180, Central Florida; born: September 27, 1993 in Orlando, FL) returns in 2024 for his 7th Canadian Football League season – all with the Blue Bombers.

The veteran leader played 17 games last season and finished with 41 defensive tackles and two interceptions. Alexander was named a West Division all-star for the second time in his career in 2023, and has totaled 211 defensive tackles, 20 special teams tackles, eight interceptions and six forced fumbles in 77 career games.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

It's a solid signing since we really have no alternative to play there except the maybe-not-totally-ready Hallett.

My guess is there was a bit of a pay cut, or at the very least no bump.

I hope Younger can find a way to make him more effective in terms of placement and usage.  He was too invisible in 2023.
Never go full Rider!

kkc60

Good vet to have, a leader who can fill in at SAM or HB in a pinch. Had a down year by his standards last year, but so did the majority of our defense it seemed (outside of guys with little to no sample sizes going into the season).

Jesse

BA's one of my favourite's.

Last year was his first full year back from a pretty terrible injury that usually takes 2 years to fully recover from. Let's see what Younger has cooked up for these guys.
My wife is amazing!

LXTSN

I don't think he was charging a big amount. I think it would be pretty easy to replace him if we had to.

GOLDMEMBER

Hopefully at a team friendly revised salary. Welcome back.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Quote from: LXTSN on February 08, 2024, 12:42:56 PMI don't think he was charging a big amount. I think it would be pretty easy to replace him if we had to.

It is easy to replace any body n the field, but finding guys with the heart that this team finds as a minimum standard, and the work ethic, and the ability to lower the boom when needed, those things are hard to find.  Sure, FS is one of the easiest places to hide a NAT, but we saw the difference when BA stepped into that position.

BA37 is a playmaker, he's a guy that regularly "blows up" and opponent.  The big thing that is hard to quantify is how he makes guys around him more comfortable to make plays because he's got their backs.

I'm not saying that this signing is the most important one of the off season, we have a lot of great players coming back.  But I am sure Younger is very pleased with this signing, a it could be the best "under the radar" signing.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 08, 2024, 02:54:18 PMHopefully at a team friendly revised salary. Welcome back.

Nonsense, 7 year vet. making $101k should not be asked to take a paycut just so players making twice his salary can make even more. If that's the way CFL economics has to work, they are broken.

Pete

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 08, 2024, 03:25:55 PMNonsense, 7 year vet. making $101k should not be asked to take a paycut just so players making twice his salary can make even more. If that's the way CFL economics has to work, they are broken.
This is the norm for every league that has a salary cap.the mcdavids,mackinnons,nylanders etc make over 10 mill then the bottom 3 forwards regardless of seniority are at league min or close to that.
Besides which if you are paying for to many vets you get what we have, problems staying under cap,and at some point you have to make more cuts than you'd like

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

bunker

I thought his play fell off last year. Hopefully it was scheme or still not being 100% from his injury, and he will be better this year. Vet experience and attitude is great, but you have to be able to play at a high level.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 08, 2024, 03:25:55 PMNonsense, 7 year vet. making $101k should not be asked to take a paycut just so players making twice his salary can make even more. If that's the way CFL economics has to work, they are broken.

Total agree.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

what is your problem? Talk about reading into my post. It is posts like these that keep this forum paralyzed with members.

All I said was team friendly salary. Holy crap!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 08, 2024, 07:16:44 PMwhat is your problem? Talk about reading into my post. It is posts like these that keep this forum paralyzed with members.

All I said was team friendly salary. Holy crap!

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.