Schoen re-signs with Bombers

Started by VictorRomano, February 06, 2024, 08:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on February 08, 2024, 08:12:37 PMHe makes a lot of money for a guy who has never been able to be a league leader in yards/TDs.

We can list the excuses, but he needs to put together a full season if he wants to keep that pay check.


He did lead the league in yds. in 2021 with 1014 in 13 games but he wasn't leaps and bounds ahead of everybody else, so it's strange Jones blew his brains out offering him that contract.


TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on February 08, 2024, 05:25:38 PM...Kenny told Dalton about greener grass, and how good he has it here, with an 4/5ths of an oline protecting a QB that can feed him the ball.  And a room filled with brothers.

FIFY!   :D  :D  :D
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

#33
Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 08, 2024, 06:27:10 PMUp to this point, I think it's fair to say Lawler has been worth every penny the WFC has paid him.

To me it's all about the post-season puzzle pieces.  We brought him back to push us over the hump we couldn't clear when losing the '22 GC.  We just needed that extra gravy on O to get the cup.

By that yardstick, Kenny was a failure.  We have no cup.  Ya, Kenny made a couple of great grabs and got decent yardage.  But to be honest, the mostly no-name (before 2023) receivers for MTL looked better.

Kenny makes that underthrown grab in the EZ for the TD (like Mack and the other MTL R's did all night with Cody's underthrows) and it may have been different.

So like $300k spent and no cup.  Disappointing.

Before you all jump: I'm not saying the loss is all on (or even mostly on) Kenny.  Just saying he was 1 of 2 big pieces brought in to win it (the other being Castillo).  As such I expected more.

Edit: I look at it like this.  Remember Geroy Simon in (I think) 2013, when he was brought into SSK just to win the cup, and paid a ton of $$ to do so.  Ya so he gets the game-sealing/dagger TD (can't recall what else he did though).  Kenny was our Geroy.  Didn't succeed like Geroy.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

#34
Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 09, 2024, 12:37:21 AMDalton Schoen press conference.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/02/08/dalton-schoen-february-8-2024/

Sound like ZC8 and ND10 did a little recruiting.

No offer enough to lure him away.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 09, 2024, 03:54:44 AMTo me it's all about the post-season puzzle pieces.  We brought him back to push us over the hump we couldn't clear when losing the '22 GC.  We just needed that extra gravy on O to get the cup.

By that yardstick, Kenny was a failure.  We have no cup.  Ya, Kenny made a couple of great grabs and got decent yardage.  But to be honest, the mostly no-name (before 2023) receivers for MTL looked better.

Kenny makes that underthrown grab in the EZ for the TD (like Mack and the other MTL R's did all night with Cody's underthrows) and it may have been different.

So like $300k spent and no cup.  Disappointing.

Before you all jump: I'm not saying the loss is all on (or even mostly on) Kenny.  Just saying he was 1 of 2 big pieces brought in to win it (the other being Castillo).  As such I expected more.

Edit: I look at it like this.  Remember Geroy Simon in (I think) 2013, when he was brought into SSK just to win the cup, and paid a ton of $$ to do so.  Ya so he gets the game-sealing/dagger TD (can't recall what else he did though).  Kenny was our Geroy.  Didn't succeed like Geroy.

The Bombers didn't pay KL89 $300K in 2023. Contract was $265K, but with his suspension probably closer to $175K.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on February 08, 2024, 08:12:37 PMHe makes a lot of money for a guy who has never been able to be a league leader in yards/TDs.

We can list the excuses, but he needs to put together a full season if he wants to keep that pay check.

He led the league in receiving yards and finished third in TDs in 2021. That was, for all intents and purposes, a full season where only 13 games were played.

Despite the legal troubles last season, he still put up 901 yards and 6 TDs in 12 games.

This upcoming season should be his best opportunity since breaking out to show he's worth the money and I see no reason to doubt him at this point.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 09, 2024, 01:33:31 PMHe led the league in receiving yards and finished third in TDs in 2021. That was, for all intents and purposes, a full season where only 13 games were played.

Despite the legal troubles last season, he still put up 901 yards and 6 TDs in 12 games.

This upcoming season should be his best opportunity since breaking out to show he's worth the money and I see no reason to doubt him at this point.

I'm not doubting him, but he still has to do it. His career highs are 1014 yards and 6 TDs. He has yet to put together a full season.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

You don't pay Lawler to gring out yards.  You pay him to make spectacular catches on 50/50 balls. And gain yards. 

He stretches the field, and he opens up other receivers.  He is a threat no matter what the field position or game circumstance.

And when he makes that big play, its usually a momentum changer.



Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on February 09, 2024, 05:19:36 PMYou don't pay Lawler to gring out yards.  You pay him to make spectacular catches on 50/50 balls. And gain yards. 

He stretches the field, and he opens up other receivers.  He is a threat no matter what the field position or game circumstance.

And when he makes that big play, its usually a momentum changer.

IMO throwing 50/50 balls and relying on "spectacular" catches is lazy football and a losing strategy, it usually means the QB is throwing up a hope and a prayer (Fajardo specialty) that his guy comes down with the ball. I would rather have an offence that moves the ball downfield in a methodical secure manner than frequently gambling on higher risk plays because it's quicker and takes less work to get to the endzone.

Pete

Its no so much the spectacular catches, it's that Zac can throw the ball deeper and even if there's coverage the odds are in our favor that Lawler will come down with it, or as often happens draws an interference call.
As mentioned teams end up with double coverage on him letting Schoen and Demski do their thing.
(its too bad they don't count interference calls drawn and the yardage gained because Lawler is so good at that.)

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on February 09, 2024, 05:19:36 PMYou don't pay Lawler to gring out yards.  You pay him to make spectacular catches on 50/50 balls. And gain yards. 

He stretches the field, and he opens up other receivers.  He is a threat no matter what the field position or game circumstance.

And when he makes that big play, its usually a momentum changer.

I'm certainly not suggesting Lawler isn't excellent.

He's not hitting top yards/TDs because he's never been on the field for 18 games. That's what he has to change.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 09, 2024, 05:44:52 PMIMO throwing 50/50 balls and relying on "spectacular" catches is lazy football and a losing strategy...

Nonsense.

This thread sure derailed in bizarre fashion.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 09, 2024, 01:33:31 PMThis upcoming season should be his best opportunity since breaking out to show he's worth the money and I see no reason to doubt him at this point.

You bet, 100% this.  There is no reason 2024 can't be Kenny's best season ever.  It's all lined up and ready for him.  No excuses.  I have full faith that he can do it.  His on-field action needs to catch up to his lofty ego.  And I don't say that as if it's a bad thing.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 09, 2024, 05:44:52 PMIMO throwing 50/50 balls and relying on "spectacular" catches is lazy football and a losing strategy, it usually means the QB is throwing up a hope and a prayer (Fajardo specialty) that his guy comes down with the ball. I would rather have an offence that moves the ball downfield in a methodical secure manner than frequently gambling on higher risk plays because it's quicker and takes less work to get to the endzone.

You beat me to the Cody comment.  :D  :D   That statement basically sums up his GC.  Maybe his only great/accurate mid/long range pass was the final TD to Philpot.  Then again, throwing 0 degrees straight up the middle isn't the hardest of throws.

But there is a time and place for the 50/50 and circus catches.  You need a solid mix of both styles of O.  WPG O plays best earlier in the season when we play loose and not so conservative and we're chucking up deep balls left and right.  Then the GC comes and we abandon the deep / mid-deep ball and we lose.  My main theme for 2024 is we need to be bold.  50/50 is bold.  Telling your WRs you trust them to make the play is bold.  That's what MTL did in the GC (3rd & 3 underthrow to Mack anyone?); in fact, that's basically all they did.  And it worked.

Just think if Zach had thrown that Kenny TD shot high or deep instead of feathering in the perfect pass to where Kenny was waiting... Kenny could have climbed the ladder or tip-toed at the EZ back, and then Ento has no shot at it.  Trusting Kenny may have won us the GC.  Instead we let Ento screw us over (on the Woli TD shot too).
Never go full Rider!