Jake Thomas re-signed

Started by theaardvark, February 02, 2024, 03:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Whoop!

That helps the Dline, and maybe ratio, starting 2 Nat DT's might be an idea, especially if we land a stud in the draft that can cut his teeth with Thomas and Lawson...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blueforlife

Great signing. Over the years many some doubted him.  Key cog.  Got the right passport.

Blue In BC

It depends on what the SMS hit will be and whether he is seen in a more transitional role while Lawson takes more snaps.

To some degree I thought we might be moving on from Thomas.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Always good to have cdn depth, if another national is able to  beat him out then so be it but til then you know exactly what we have.

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers re-sign defensive tackle Jake Thomas

WINNIPEG, MB., February 2, 2024 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms on a one-year contract extension with defensive tackle Jake Thomas.

Thomas was scheduled to become a free agent on February 13th.

Thomas (6-2, 274; Acadia University; born: December 6, 1990, in Douglas, NB) returns to the Blue Bombers for a 12th Canadian Football League season - all in Winnipeg.

Selected by the Blue Bombers in the fourth round, 29th overall, of the 2012 CFL Draft, Thomas is the longest-serving player on the club, having suited up for 186 regular season games and the last four Grey Cups.

His 2023 season was a testament to his consistency and durability as he again suited up for every game for the sixth consecutive year and matched his career high with five quarterback sacks while adding 17 defensive tackles. Thomas now has 25 career sacks and 123 career tackles.

Thomas is a two-time Grey Cup winner as part of the Blue Bombers championship teams in 2019 and 2021
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GCn19

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 02, 2024, 03:30:15 PMIt depends on what the SMS hti will be and whether he is seen in a more transitional role while Lawson takes more snaps.

To some degree I thought we might be moving on from Thomas.

I would hope he took a big shave on contract and his play time reflects that.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Waffler

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 02, 2024, 04:06:55 PMBlue Bombers re-sign defensive tackle Jake Thomas
durability as he again suited up for every game for the sixth consecutive year

A highly under rated trait that some guys just have. A good signing in my view. Tells me the Bombers want to keep everything as much the same as they can. Maybe we will only have 3 holes to fill although they are rather large holes, DE, RB and WR. It is doable.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

theaardvark

Quote from: Waffler on February 02, 2024, 04:24:39 PMA highly under rated trait that some guys just have. A good signing in my view. Tells me the Bombers want to keep everything as much the same as they can. Maybe we will only have 3 holes to fill although they are rather large holes, DE, RB and WR. It is doable.

With 21 new players listed on the roster already, competition is going to be fierce.  And we still have 10 NAT draft picks this year. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

dd

We need to improve the pressure we get from the interior of our D line, which since Richardson and then Sayles left has been pretty much non existent. Thomas should be nothing more than a depth/alternate guy, we need a stud in the interior, and Jacob ain't it

Lincoln Locomotive

He's been a blue chip O-lineman for us a long stint.....glad to have him back in the fold
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

I am okay with this signing. Jake has been a solid player for the Bombers. But, this team isn't getting any younger.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 02, 2024, 05:26:03 PMHe's been a blue chip O-lineman for us a long stint.....glad to have him back in the fold

He hasn't really played Oline at all, although they do have a OLine jersey ready for him if need be...

blue_or_die

Fan favourite and dependable in a spelling role on the Dline.

Most impressive how he's been able to carve out such a long CFL career.
#Ride?

VictorRomano

Quote from: Pigskin on February 02, 2024, 05:35:55 PMI am okay with this signing. Jake has been a solid player for the Bombers. But, this team isn't getting any younger.

True.  But dozens of prospects have spent 13 seasons trying to knock JT out of that spot, and no one has been successful yet....