Re-signed Kolankowski

Started by theaardvark, January 29, 2024, 04:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Bryant, Gray, Kolankowski, Neufeld and Hardrick

Dobson
, Eli, Richmond

(BOLD under contract)

Pretty solid Oline, with 10 picks this draft, we should have a couple more in the pipeline.  If we sign Hardick and Gray, great.  If we can't, nothing to worry about.  We would still have one of the best Olines in the league, and they've been together a while...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

I like the size of Eli at 6'4" 326. He also has a nasty side to him. I would have been okay with Eli at C. Signing Kolski gives us more depth and flexibility. Like it.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

With Eli's size I could see him also being able to play guard. Be good to have an oline man be versatile.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on January 29, 2024, 11:28:50 PMI like the size of Eli at 6'4" 326. He also has a nasty side to him. I would have been okay with Eli at C. Signing Kolski gives us more depth and flexibility. Like it.

I don't think he's carrying 326 lbs. any longer, noticed last season he was getting thinner as the season went on, working himself into better shape.  First year he was a huge blob.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on January 29, 2024, 10:18:22 PMBryant, Gray, Kolankowski, Neufeld and Hardrick

Dobson
, Eli, Richmond

(BOLD under contract)

Pretty solid Oline, with 10 picks this draft, we should have a couple more in the pipeline.  If we sign Hardick and Gray, great.  If we can't, nothing to worry about.  We would still have one of the best Olines in the league, and they've been together a while...

Yeah, I think we still have enough there. I'm slightly concerned at guys like Kolankowski and Neufeld blocking the paths of guys like Dobson and Eli, but they obviously have to earn it. But at some point your draft picks have to play or they'll leave.

We definitely need to starting putting more in the pipeline. Our last couple of drafts haven't been impactful and we've lost the ones that have made an impact.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Bluto was pretty high on Mr K on Bonfire Sports.....I trust his wisdom steeped in actual experience.....good signing
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

I'm a fan, but not a huge fan; but he's certainly the best option we have right now.  With Eli as a capable backup, we're set.

Couture was better, probably on par with Goosen.  But what are you gonna do.  Kolankowski has shown he can learn and improve.  Him & Gray got way better at their A-gap problem as time went on.  I feel the group can gel even more and be even better.  It might be nice if we get a year where we can have 0 changes on the starting OL.  Could be an advantage for the first few weeks.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

We'll have to wait and see whether we have enough money to re-sign Gray and Hardwick. It would be good to retain all of our OL but that may not be possible from an SMS point ov view.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 30, 2024, 04:59:08 AMI'm a fan, but not a huge fan; but he's certainly the best option we have right now.  With Eli as a capable backup, we're set.

Couture was better, probably on par with Goosen.  But what are you gonna do.  Kolankowski has shown he can learn and improve.  Him & Gray got way better at their A-gap problem as time went on.  I feel the group can gel even more and be even better.  It might be nice if we get a year where we can have 0 changes on the starting OL.  Could be an advantage for the first few weeks.

BO20 had a record setting year.  Running primarily behind Kolankowski.  Pretty sure that puts him up there with Couture and Goossen.  I was hesitant at the start of last year, but a believer by the end.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 30, 2024, 03:17:12 PMBO20 had a record setting year.  Running primarily behind Kolankowski.  Pretty sure that puts him up there with Couture and Goossen.  I was hesitant at the start of last year, but a believer by the end.

The majority of running plays Brady runs to the left of Center behind Gray, to me it seems like Gray and Neufeld are the two most active in getting downfield to help out blocking and take on LB's. The other 3 help out occasionally, but not nearly as much.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 30, 2024, 05:07:27 PMThe majority of running plays Brady runs to the left of Center behind Gray, to me it seems like Gray and Neufeld are the two most active in getting downfield to help out blocking and take on LB's. The other 3 help out occasionally, but not nearly as much.

Ya, Ko-man isn't the key on run plays.  Pay careful attention if you rewatch any 2023 games.  It's the guards doing the heavy lifting, or often Yoshi immediately swinging around into an A-gap or opposite B-gap.  Ko-man is often parked in the middle just trying to cling to 1 or 2 DL to keep them engaged.  He does have a lot more to worry about than the other OL, so harder for him to be the lead freight train engine.

P.S. In one of this last week's NFL games a DL jumps offside and trucks an OL.  UR called.  That was the exact same play we saw near the end of the CFL season against us (Ko-man? or Neuf? got trucked), and I was screaming here that the refs should have called UR, but they didn't.  What a joke when the NFL gets the player-protection call better than the CFL.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 31, 2024, 01:31:11 AMP.S. In one of this last week's NFL games a DL jumps offside and trucks an OL.  UR called.  That was the exact same play we saw near the end of the CFL season against us (Ko-man? or Neuf? got trucked), and I was screaming here that the refs should have called UR, but they didn't.  What a joke when the NFL gets the player-protection call better than the CFL.

Agree! I said at the time being offside does not give you a free shot. I was sure I'd seen it called too but could not remember an example. Calling a penalty puts a stop to it and needs to happen.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers