Blue Bombers add to roster - January 23, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, January 23, 2024, 04:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add to roster - January 23, 2024

WINNIPEG, MB., January 23, 2024 p- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed seven American players – receivers Keric Wheatfall, Braxton Burmeister, Peter Afful and Oliver Martin, kicker Jose Borregales and linebacker/defensive back Marcus Hillman. defensive end Ali Fayad.

Wheatfall (6-2, 194; Fresno State; born:  in Brenham, TX) has signed with the Blue Bombers after dressing for three games with the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL in 2023 and following a stint with the Philadelphia Eagles in their 2022 training camp as an undrafted free agent. He began his college career at Blinn College before transferring to Fresno State. Over three seasons with the Bulldogs Wheatfall had 78 receptions for 1,286 yards and six touchdowns, posting 38 catches for 616 yards and four TDs in his senior season.

Burmeister (6-1, 205; San Diego State; born: in La Jolla, CA) joins the club after attending Los Angeles Rams training camp last summer. A converted quarterback, Burmeister began his collegiate career at Oregon, before transferring to Virginia Tech and then to San Diego State. Over that span he combined to throw for 3,020 yards with 19 touchdowns against 11 interceptions while rushing for 834 yards and seven scores. At San Diego he passed for two touchdowns and three touchdowns, rushing for 224 yards and one more TD while beginning the conversion to receiver and catching one pass for 19 yards.

Borregales (5-10, 185; University of Miami; born: December 15, 1997, in Caracas, Venezuela) comes to the Blue Bombers after signing with the Orlando Guardians of the XFL in November of 2022, but then seeing that team fold when the XFL merged with the USFL to form the United Football League. He first signed professionally as an undrafted free agent with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in May of 2021 and spent that year on the practice roster before being let go in August of 2022.

Borregales began his collegiate career at Florida International University in 2016 and became the school's starting kicker after a redshirt season. He connected on 76.9 percent of his field goal attempts at FIU and was a finalist for the Lou Groza Award as the nation's best kicker in 2018. He transferred to Miami in 2020 and playing as a graduate student and was a unanimous All-American and captured the Groza Award after hitting on 20 of 22 field goal attempts.

Hillman (6-0, 200; Elon University; born: in Camden, NJ) joins the Blue Bombers after starring with the Elon Phoenix. He played in 47 games over five seasons at the school (2018-22), registering 101 tackles, 13 sacks, one interception, eight forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and five pass knockdowns. As a senior he was a First Team All-CAA (Coastal Athletic Association) after leading the team with 83 combined tackles.

Fayad (6-2, 250; Western Michigan; born: May 12, 1999, in Dearborn, Michigan) signs with the Blue Bombers after appearing in four games with the Toronto Argonauts in 2022 and then signing with the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL last spring before the league folded to merge with the XFL.

Fayad starred at Western Michigan and in 2021, his final season, was named the MAC (Mid-America Conference) Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All-Mac after finishing with a team high 13 sacks, 40 tackles, 17 tackles for a loss and two pass breakups. Fayad played in 55 games over five years at Western Michigan, registering 98 solo tackles, 33.5 sacks, 11 forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries.

He first turned pro as an undrafted free agent signing by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2022 and then signed with Toronto in September of that year, dressing for the four games, and finishing with four tackles, one special teams tackle and a sack.

Afful (5-10, 190; Washburn University; born: November 5, 1997, in Lawrence, KS) attended mini-camp with the Kansas City Chiefs last spring and attended the UFL Showcase in St. Louis last summer. He played one season at Coffeyville Community College before joining Washburn where he had 63 catches for 1,220 yards and 16 touchdowns, adding 170 yards on eight carries and 138 yards in 23 games with the Ichabods. He was a two-time All-MIAA (Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association) and finished his career ranked third in program history with an average yards per catch of 19.4.

Martin (6-1, 200; University of Nebraska; born:  in Coralville, Iowa) was part of the Blue Bombers practice roster expansion last September and rejoins the club for 2024. He spent preseason last year with the Jacksonville Jaguars after collegiate stops at Michigan, Iowa, and Nebraska. He had 25 catches for 405 yards in three years with the Cornhuskers and got the attention of NFL scouts at Nebraska's Pro Day in 2023 when he posted a 41-inch vertical and 134-inch broad jump in testing.

 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

PurpleReign

Jose Borregales married a Winnipeg girl that is friends with my son. She went to U of Miami on a scholarship for diving. Jose was on the Tampa Bay practice roster for awhile. Welcome to Winnipeg Jose!!

Blue In BC

That's athe 3rd new QB we've signed so far IIRC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Kicker sounds great.  Anyone remember anything about Martin from the PR?

Nice to see so many QBs coming to town.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

VictorRomano

#4
I imagine a lot of these guys are just going to get a look-see at TC, although some of them might get a look at the returner position as well.  Although, given how the league is doing their best to eliminate kickoffs (due to the highest chance of injury on that kind of play), I wonder how long teams will dedicate a roster spot to a guy who might only get used once or twice per game.

Blue In BC

Bombers signed another group of 3 players today according to CFL.CA. One of them is a DB Raleigh Texada that played for the Houston Roughnecks. IIRC, he was not a bad player.

Also brought back the Global OL we've had on the PR in 2022-2023: Mujlo?

Lots of players being signed around the league are from the XFL/USFL pool of players released as a result of the merger.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: VictorRomano on January 23, 2024, 07:37:00 PMI imagine a lot of these guys are just going to get a look-see at TC, although some of them might get a look at the returner position as well.  Although, given how the league is doing their best to eliminate kickoffs (due to the highest chance of injury on that kind of play), I wonder how long teams will dedicate a roster spot to a guy who might only get used once or twice per game.

Except it's not.  I'm trying to recall even a single returner getting injured in 2023... Look at Grant, he was hosed on that O snap, not a ST play.

Ya, it happens sometimes, but I wouldn't say KO is the most dangerous play in the CFL.  Not only can't I recall a returner getting injured, did anyone at all get a serious season-ending injury on ST in 2023??  The last horrific one I recall was Brady getting maimed on the first play of the first CFL game he ever played in like 2019.  And that was probably more of a fluke than something endemic to ST.

I'm watching the NFL playoffs (don't watch the rest of the year) and once again I'm reminded of how lame USA football is on the kick game.  Fair catch and every KO is a touchback is just lame.  Don't get me started on what the USFL was doing with their don't move until it's caught lameness.

The CFL is the only league that has the ST game "right".
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 23, 2024, 10:16:30 PMExcept it's not.  I'm trying to recall even a single returner getting injured in 2023... Look at Grant, he was hosed on that O snap, not a ST play.

Ya, it happens sometimes, but I wouldn't say KO is the most dangerous play in the CFL.  Not only can't I recall a returner getting injured, did anyone at all get a serious season-ending injury on ST in 2023??  The last horrific one I recall was Brady getting maimed on the first play of the first CFL game he ever played in like 2019.  And that was probably more of a fluke than something endemic to ST.

I'm watching the NFL playoffs (don't watch the rest of the year) and once again I'm reminded of how lame USA football is on the kick game.  Fair catch and every KO is a touchback is just lame.  Don't get me started on what the USFL was doing with their don't move until it's caught lameness.

The CFL is the only league that has the ST game "right".

C. Worthy got injured last year although it might have been on a punt. Same with Grant in 2022 getting nicked.

ST players get injured all the time. How do you think Miller missed all of 2023? Beeksma got injured last season as did Gauthier.

Granted most injuries happen to non returners on ST's but they also out number the returner 11 to 1.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 23, 2024, 06:41:01 PMThat's athe 3rd new QB we've signed so far IIRC.

QB?  Do you mean Bormeister?  He's a "converted QB"...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 23, 2024, 10:38:31 PMC. Worthy got injured last year although it might have been on a punt. Same with Grant in 2022 getting nicked.

ST players get injured all the time. How do you think Miller missed all of 2023? Beeksma got injured last season as did Gauthier.

Granted most injuries happen to non returners on ST's but they also out number the returner 11 to 1.

Ok, Worthy was the 2023 casualty in terms of returners.  Miller is a special case as no one saw him get injured, no one knows what happened, and now people are talking about a degenerative thing?  i.e. There may have never been *the* injury that did Miller in.  It may have just been his body not being able to take anymore football.

I don't recall seeing the Beeksma or Gauthier ones either.  TSN does a really bad job of showing ST replays after commercial... especially when it's "just a STer" getting hurt.  It would be nice to see what happened to judge if it was just a fluke that could happen on any play or whether it really was a "KOs are dangerous" thing.

I wonder if anyone has ever actually run stats on injuries-per-play KOs/punts vs normal O/D snaps.  Is it roughly 1:1?  Or maybe KOs are 2:1?  5:1?  What ratio would make a KO "dangerous" enough to warrant "ruining" the KO game?  Tough to say.  I'd let the ST players vote on it.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 24, 2024, 04:22:11 AMOk, Worthy was the 2023 casualty in terms of returners.  Miller is a special case as no one saw him get injured, no one knows what happened, and now people are talking about a degenerative thing?  i.e. There may have never been *the* injury that did Miller in.  It may have just been his body not being able to take anymore football.

I don't recall seeing the Beeksma or Gauthier ones either.  TSN does a really bad job of showing ST replays after commercial... especially when it's "just a STer" getting hurt.  It would be nice to see what happened to judge if it was just a fluke that could happen on any play or whether it really was a "KOs are dangerous" thing.

I wonder if anyone has ever actually run stats on injuries-per-play KOs/punts vs normal O/D snaps.  Is it roughly 1:1?  Or maybe KOs are 2:1?  5:1?  What ratio would make a KO "dangerous" enough to warrant "ruining" the KO game?  Tough to say.  I'd let the ST players vote on it.


lol. If we let the players vote, there wouldn't be any safety rules.

And remember that with the CTE discussion in football, we're not talking about a player going down on a play, taking him out of the game. We're talking about repeated hits over years that cause these guys to have a life expectancy 20 years lower than the average population.
My wife is amazing!

LXTSN

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 24, 2024, 04:22:11 AMOk, Worthy was the 2023 casualty in terms of returners.  Miller is a special case as no one saw him get injured, no one knows what happened, and now people are talking about a degenerative thing?  i.e. There may have never been *the* injury that did Miller in.  It may have just been his body not being able to take anymore football.

I don't recall seeing the Beeksma or Gauthier ones either.  TSN does a really bad job of showing ST replays after commercial... especially when it's "just a STer" getting hurt.  It would be nice to see what happened to judge if it was just a fluke that could happen on any play or whether it really was a "KOs are dangerous" thing.

I wonder if anyone has ever actually run stats on injuries-per-play KOs/punts vs normal O/D snaps.  Is it roughly 1:1?  Or maybe KOs are 2:1?  5:1?  What ratio would make a KO "dangerous" enough to warrant "ruining" the KO game?  Tough to say.  I'd let the ST players vote on it.

I'm going to assume that nobody has this tracked. Even if it's 1:1 there are at least triple the amount of O/D snaps as there are special teams plays per game.

I hope the vote never comes up to get rid of special teams. I think it's one of the most interesting parts of the CFL game. I do think that the no-yards rule helps protect the returner, and eliminating the crack back blocks helps for the rest of the players, and doesn't hurt the game.

theaardvark

Special teams are a vital part of the CFL game.  Vital. 

3 downs means more ST plays.  ST plays make more highlight reels.  Nothing more boring than an NFL kickoff or punt.  Out the endzone or fair catch.  Bleh.

Spring leagues tried to spice it up, and some of the ideas were good.

Some suggest that the calibre / size / athleticism difference NFL to CFL alows for our game to have more of the "high excitement / high risk" plays because players are less likely to get decapitated through sheer athleticism, but the 5 yard rule, goal post placement and wider field (amongst other differences) give rise to the ability to utilize ST's as an integral part of making the game more exciting.

As soon as the league starts looking at ST rules to "reduce danger", that's going to really hurt the 3 down game.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

#13
Quote from: theaardvark on January 24, 2024, 02:00:37 AMQB?  Do you mean Bormeister?  He's a "converted QB"...

I missed that but he may get an opportunity at multiple positions? He doesn't have NFL QB size but might be more suited to the CFL in that role as a # 3 QB that might be a good short yardage skill set.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 24, 2024, 06:12:38 PMI missed that but he may get an opportunity at multiple positions? He doesn't have NFL QB size but might be more suited to the CFL in that role as a # 3 QB that might be a good short yardage skill set.

Pretty sure if they list him as a WR, he's coming in to compete at WR... 

Might he get a chance to get some reps in at QB in rookie camp?  Why not. But his college stats don't really look that great at QB. 

I guess it depends on whether he wants to play QB or football... is he a Sinopoli or a Nick Marshall
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.