IG Field - New Sponsor and Name

Started by Ridermania, January 22, 2024, 05:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridermania

Investors Group Field is no more!

"Princess Auto Stadium" is the new name and corporate sponsor.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2024/01/22/bombers-home-getting-new-name

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

The Zipp

I love the actual store and from I have heard it is a very well run and respected business...Don't love the "Princess" part but I am an oldish man so maybe I just need to give it some time...

Jesse

I hate naming rights so much.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: The Zipp on January 22, 2024, 07:01:22 PMI love the actual store and from I have heard it is a very well run and respected business...Don't love the "Princess" part but I am an oldish man so maybe I just need to give it some time...

Princess Auto's original business location was on Princess St., which was named after Princess Louise Duchess of Argyll, daughter of Queen Victoria and wife to the Marquis of Lorne; see also Argyle Street, Lorne Avenue and Louise Street.

Now you know.

ModAdmin

Princess Auto is a Canadian retail chain specializing in farm, industrial, garage, hydraulics and surplus items. Headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Princess Auto owns and operates 54 stores in ten provinces plus a national call centre and an online store.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Sir Blue and Gold

They are a success story that kept their corporate offices in Winnipeg which makes them an ideal fit as far as I'm concerned. I bet it's not cheap.

drahgon

Quote from: The Zipp on January 22, 2024, 07:01:22 PMI love the actual store and from I have heard it is a very well run and respected business...Don't love the "Princess" part but I am an oldish man so maybe I just need to give it some time...

This.

Quote from: Jesse on January 22, 2024, 07:07:55 PMI hate naming rights so much.

But also this.

Waiting for the "Power Fist" play of the game... For anyone not familiar to Princess Auto, they have their own line of tools branded "Power Fist", similar to Canadian Tire's Mastercraft brand.

blue_gold_84

"Your Blue Bombers have entered the Power Fist Red Zone, brought to you by Princess Auto."

Blegh.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

buckzumhoff

I like the new name. Better than ig field .

Blueforlife

A good partner for the working class older male who frequents the stores and attends many games.  I'm sure it also works for other demographics.  I like the move and this makes a lot of sense.  The Bombers need these type of respected business partners.  Good move.  Looking forward to the promos, already seen them around last year.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

TBURGESS

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

The Zipp

Hope dark days aren't ahead...I liked IG Field and we had success there.  Names mean nothing but sometimes it seems it does.

How about PA Power Fist Stadium

I guess it's better than Dollar Tree Stadium...dollarama place...Salisbury house stadium...hallway medicine stadium

I suppose we will see a bunch of Empty Cup booths at the stadium.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on January 22, 2024, 11:44:16 PMThe PAS field?

Haha, yup.  Well, nope, it'll just be PAS. Just like it was previously IGF (even though they tried to tell us not to say that in its final year).

So now it'll be "the game @PAS".  "Meet you all @PAS".

Meh, I guess it'll grow on us?  IGF was always a bit of a mouthful, but the rare letters and rarer-combo made it unique and easy to know what one was talking about.

PAS has some problems like:
1. "paw": Will it become like The Pas.  "Meet you at the PAS".
2. "pass": Or "I'll take a hard PAS".  "Why can't Zach complete a PAS today?"

Actually, I kind of like The Pas (Paw) as it, too, is undeniably Manitoban.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: drahgon on January 22, 2024, 07:37:32 PMThis.

But also this.

Waiting for the "Power Fist" play of the game... For anyone not familiar to Princess Auto, they have their own line of tools branded "Power Fist", similar to Canadian Tire's Mastercraft brand.

This is awesome!  You make it sound hokey, but it actually will be kind of cool & funny, in a Winnipeg sort of way.

The Power Fist Hit of the Game!  What else can they come up with...

I really like this move, as the demographic for WFC fan didn't venn-diagram very well with IG customers.  But I bet a huge whack ton of WFC fans have been to Princess Auto in the last 5 years.

I just told my non-football fan buddies who I'm always trying to evangelize, most of whom like Princess Auto, and they love the idea!!  I'm going to use it as leverage to get them to buy a ticket or 2 this season.  ;D  Maybe on Princess Auto gift card night(s)!  ;D

And we should all be happy a Manitoba born & based company took over the name.  I can think of far worse scenarios.  Good job to all involved!
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Can't say I like IGF any less or more than Princess Auto Stadium.....at least it's named after a Winnipeg owned business which I'm down with.    As Techno said....we'll get used to it.
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on January 23, 2024, 01:16:36 AMHope dark days aren't ahead...I liked IG Field and we had success there.  Names mean nothing but sometimes it seems it does.

I guess it's better than Dollar Tree Stadium...dollarama place...Salisbury house stadium...hallway medicine stadium

Way to even think of a jinx!  Thought would have never crossed my mind.  Maybe we'll be even better at "opponents cannot complete a PAS stadium"!!

As for Sals... I would have loved to see the 250 degrees celsius nips back at the stadium!  And Burton Cummings would definitely have been a better house band!!  :D  30s left for the opponent to get the go-ahead TD and he can belt out "nooo tiiiiiime  nooo tiiiiime".
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 23, 2024, 02:03:08 AMCan't say I like IGF any less or more than Princess Auto Stadium.....at least it's named after a Winnipeg owned business which I'm down with.    As Techno said....we'll get used to it.

You're right in that it's just a name; it's inconsequential as far as the WFC is concerned. IG Field seems to roll off the tongue a bit better than PA Stadium, IMO. Maybe that's just because I'm used to the former the last decade or so, though.

And FWIW, Investors Group was founded in Winnipeg in 1926.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Princess Auto has been an excellent sponsor for Canadian Curling. I am glad the Bombers have them on board. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

A great local success story but about as lame a name for a football stadium as you can get. We will never hear the end of it from other fans!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Stretch

Could always be worse. People in Louisville go to basketball games, concerts, and other events at the KFC Yum! Center.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Stretch on January 23, 2024, 05:24:14 PMCould always be worse. People in Louisville go to basketball games, concerts, and other events at the KFC Yum! Center.

Even the US Bowl games have ridiculous names now that change every few years.

Here are a few beauties.

AVOCADOS FROM MEXICO CURE BOWL
STARCO BRANDS LA BOWL HOSTED BY GRONK
FAMOUS TOASTERY BOWL
ROOFCLAIM.COM BOCA RATON BOWL
UNION HOME MORTGAGE GASPARILLA BOWL
FAMOUS IDAHO POTATO BOWL
SERVPRO FIRST RESPONDER BOWL
MILITARY BOWL PRESENTED BY GOBOWLING.COM
DUKE'S MAYO BOWL
BAD BOY MOWERS PINSTRIPE BOWL
POP-TARTS BOWL
TAXSLAYER GATOR BOWL
TONY THE TIGER SUN BOWL
TRANSPERFECT MUSIC CITY BOWL
CHEEZ-IT CITRUS BOWL
CHICK-FIL-A PEACH BOWL

ModAdmin

Princess Auto Announced as New Stadium Naming Rights Partner

WINNIPEG, MB., January 23, 2024 - The Winnipeg Football Club is proud to welcome Princess Auto as the new official stadium naming rights partner. Beginning in April 2024, the stadium will be known as Princess Auto Stadium (logo attached).

"Princess Auto has been a long-time supporter of the Winnipeg Football Club, and we are thrilled to expand and extend this relationship with our new stadium naming rights partnership," said Winnipeg Football Club President and CEO, Wade Miller. "This partnership aligns two organizations committed to serving the community, promoting sports, and enhancing the fan experience. Together, we look forward to creating unforgettable memories for our fans and supporters."

The 10-year partnership marks a significant milestone in the history of the organization, highlighting the Club's commitment to excellence on and off the field. Princess Auto, a privately-owned, Canadian retailer founded in Winnipeg in 1933, is known for its dedication to quality service, commitment to their team members, and community engagement -values that align with the Club's own.

"We are proud to join forces with the Winnipeg Football Club and the incredible Winnipeg community," said Ken Larson, President, and CEO of Princess Auto. "Our shared values of teamwork, dedication, and a passion for excellence make this a natural fit. We can't wait to see the Princess Auto name proudly displayed on the stadium and to connect with fans in a meaningful way."

Beginning this spring, Princess Auto Stadium will feature prominent Princess Auto branding, creating a powerful and iconic presence in South Winnipeg. Fans can expect to see the new signage on the stadium in mid-April heading into the CFL season.

The Winnipeg Football Club extends its appreciation to IG Wealth Management, the previous stadium naming rights partner. As a longstanding partner, IG Wealth Management has played an integral part in the Club's growth and success and will continue to do so as the Club's wealth management sponsor. 

About the Winnipeg Football Club:

The Winnipeg Football Club is a storied organization with a 94-year history in Canadian football which includes 12 Grey Cup championships. It is also one of the founding members of the Canadian Premier League, established in 2019 as Canada's professional soccer circuit.  The WFC is built on a strong commitment to excellence, community engagement and fan experience, and is dedicated to providing excellence in sports action and entertainment in North America.

About Princess Auto:
Princess Auto is a private, Canadian-owned company that has been providing tradespeople, farmers, inventors, industrial workers, and hard-working Canadians with tools and equipment for nearly 100 years. Teams strive everyday to provide unrivalled customer service and exceptional value through over 50 stores coast-to-coast, a National Call Centre, and an online store. No princesses or autos – just great service and great deals on a unique assortment of products.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 23, 2024, 04:46:57 PMA great local success story but about as lame a name for a football stadium as you can get. We will never hear the end of it from other fans!

Ya, Greenie fans might be laying it on thick come Banjo Bowl... I say we lean into it; don't wince or shy away.  Bring it on!  And hey, what on earth is Mosaic anyhow.  That's lame too.  Probably some farm brand, but heck if I know.  At least PAS doesn't look like a giant toilet from the air  :D
Never go full Rider!

BLUEBOMBER

Princess Auto surely needs the national advertisement if they want to expand across Canada. I just feel bad the Bombers have to play in a stadium with this name. :(

DM83

My grandfather, we called PA.  So saying I am going to PAs (stadium) will be a nice rememberance to him.  Ya!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on January 24, 2024, 02:48:44 AMif they want to expand across Canada
Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on January 24, 2024, 02:48:44 AMPrincess Auto surely needs the national advertisement if they want to expand across Canada. I just feel bad the Bombers have to play in a stadium with this name. :(
. I just feel bad the Bombers have to play in a stadium with this name. :(

They have 51 stores across Canada, so they're fully expanded across the country already.

peg_city

I like it. It reminds me to go to Princess Auto (which is an awesome store).

Me and the old man made and continue to make quarterly treks to buy stuff I will need at some point in the future (I'm told).

55StickCar

How about the Harry Baals Convention Centre in Fort Wayne,Indiana.I read that they had a referendum on the name,it was strongly supported, but the town council would not let it happen.

blue_or_die

Quote from: 55StickCar on January 30, 2024, 02:18:12 PMHow about the Harry Baals Convention Centre in Fort Wayne,Indiana.I read that they had a referendum on the name,it was strongly supported, but the town council would not let it happen.

Sad state of affairs for Western democracy when the government shuts that down. Bad form.
#Ride?