Woli re-signs in Winnipeg

Started by VictorRomano, January 20, 2024, 02:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on January 22, 2024, 08:23:13 PMI'd bet your right on that... what team would want to be traded to a different city at all?

No player would refuse a trade to Winnipeg right now, if the player has any desire to win a cup.  If the player is fine being on a losing team, sure.  But if they are hungry for a cup, Winnipeg is at the top of the "trade me to" lists. 

We are not on anyone's "no trade" list because we're a bad hockey team. The success of the club, good or bad, has very little to do with it.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on January 22, 2024, 08:26:48 PMWe are not on anyone's "no trade" list because we're a bad hockey team. The success of the club, good or bad, has very little to do with it.

We've been a non factor for a cup since coming here, and we have the tax/location baggage that comes with being a Canadian city outside the top 3. 

Now that a player could come here and have a reasonable chance at the cup, Chevy will have more to shop from at the deadline, for sure.  If we need a piece or two.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on January 22, 2024, 08:33:17 PMWe've been a non factor for a cup since coming here, and we have the tax/location baggage that comes with being a Canadian city outside the top 3. 

Now that a player could come here and have a reasonable chance at the cup, Chevy will have more to shop from at the deadline, for sure.  If we need a piece or two.

2018 would like a word. You could make a similar, albeit feebler argument, for 2019.

Players needs to be willing to waive existing movement clauses. Being a top team right now certainly helps but there's no need to get ahead of oneself. Winnipeg is still one of the least desired locations for NHL players for a number of reasons.

I'm also not sure what any of that has to do with the Bombers or the CFL; it's a "ringing endorsement" from someone who's only ever played in the CFL. They're completely unrelated to the NHL outside of the location.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on January 22, 2024, 11:49:37 AMBeing fully aware of course, that Woli wasn't remotely Canadian, he was just counted as a NAT by the very loosest of definitions that the CFL uses.

(Although he's 100% a Canadian now - he just wasn't before coming up here for the first time).

Quote from: Jesse on January 22, 2024, 05:08:04 PMI feel like it does, because citizenship doesn't grant you NAT status. I may be wrong, but I feel like it used to be based on where you received your football training. And they've changed and expanded the definition multiple times.

Ya, Woli was kind of a FAKENAT before such a thing existed vis a vis vet IMPs.  But so are a number of current CFL NATs.  I guess it's kind of like a "blood" thing, and if they have a Canadian parent then they are, by blood, i.e. family relations, part Canadian.  As long as they apply the definition and rules the same to everyone, I don't mind the situation.  The old-style FAKENATs (people who basically never set foot in Canada before) are exceptionally rare, with maybe 1 showing up every 1-3 years.

But if we want to step back and look at the reason for the ratio I think we can probably come up with a better rule.  From all I've learned over the last decade, the ratio exists mainly to promote the Canadian U (and to a lesser extent, high school) systems.  We want talented prospects to go through our systems and come out CFL-ready.  If that all went away and there was no CFL then 99% of Canadian players at the U level would know it was a dead end with near zero hope of playing pro.  That would probably kill participation, and probably the whole U football program.

This definition would also include recent-ish immigrants to Canada who then played their 4 years in Canadian U, because it promotes and enriches the U football situation.  That would include guys like Muamba.

Secondary to that would be providing a path to the very talented Canadian born & raised U players, who manage to get into big football schools down south, to "come home".  They should qualify as NATs because why would we penalize a player for being good enough to get a full scholarship to a division 1 school??

I think what riles people up is the Woli situation of born & raised in the USA, played only in USA high schools and U, and then suddenly find out a parent holds a Canadian citizenship, and voila that qualifies them as a NAT.  I think Singleton was the same?  The main reason is they had nothing to do with any football program in Canada at all, nor did they spend their youth in Canada.  One would like to see at least one of those conditions met.

However, it is what it is for now, and I'm not going to really complain about it, because for the most part it "works".  And it doesn't hurt that we're the recipients of the benefit or Woli getting to be a NAT.  :D  :D  If the CFL wants to adjust the rule in the future, I'm sure most fans will be happier.  I would hope they rejig it to be more like how I've defined it.

And I'm happy it's worked out for Woli, and that he is proud to be a Winnipegger.  I like all the effort and loyalty he's shown in blue & gold.  He's the type of guy you want around.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 22, 2024, 04:19:40 PMI don't think Wolitarksy is in the same bucket as Philpot or Gittens. Not from a pure skill standpoint anyway. He's turned into a very experienced, reliable possession receiver which is traditionally the role a lot of National receivers carve out.

Gittens has had a down 1.5 years.  He may have peaked early and the best is behind him.  He was looking better than Woli for a while, but now, meh.  TOR felt he was expendable.

Philpot is not Woli level yet, but he is showing promise.  If he keeps on this track, he could get up to close to Demski level.  Maybe.

KSB is the real gem, in my books.  He fell off the radar with injury, but he was showing top-IMP level talent at times on a garbage team with bad QBing and even worse OCing and HCing.  He would sometimes make Kenny-level grabs.  I think the upside on KSB is high, and I hope SSK loses him in the not too distant future.  :D  :D

Back to Woli, besides JFG, who was our last couple of NAT placeholder WRs?  Watson?  I'm trying to remember... those guys never stood out and it's hard to remember their names, which says something in itself.  The only reason I remember JFG is I was a not-so-closet JFG fan and always loved how he never once caught the rail go pass in 2 full seasons here.  In contrast, I think we'll always remember Woli.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 23, 2024, 01:33:37 AMYa, Woli was kind of a FAKENAT before such a thing existed vis a vis vet IMPs.  But so are a number of current CFL NATs.  I guess it's kind of like a "blood" thing, and if they have a Canadian parent then they are, by blood, i.e. family relations, part Canadian.  As long as they apply the definition and rules the same to everyone, I don't mind the situation.  The old-style FAKENATs (people who basically never set foot in Canada before) are exceptionally rare, with maybe 1 showing up every 1-3 years.

I believe the Bombers have at least 2 other imported Natls. who were not born in Canada but had Cdn. mothers in Eli and Bennett, although the later played a couple of years for the Univ. of Regina Rams.

Also LB Garrett Waggoner was here for a year or two and quit football to get into the flavoured water business in the US.  He was also picked up in the supplemental draft like Woli.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 23, 2024, 01:33:37 AMYa, Woli was kind of a FAKENAT before such a thing existed vis a vis vet IMPs.  But so are a number of current CFL NATs.  I guess it's kind of like a "blood" thing, and if they have a Canadian parent then they are, by blood, i.e. family relations, part Canadian.  As long as they apply the definition and rules the same to everyone, I don't mind the situation.  The old-style FAKENATs (people who basically never set foot in Canada before) are exceptionally rare, with maybe 1 showing up every 1-3 years.

But if we want to step back and look at the reason for the ratio I think we can probably come up with a better rule.  From all I've learned over the last decade, the ratio exists mainly to promote the Canadian U (and to a lesser extent, high school) systems.  We want talented prospects to go through our systems and come out CFL-ready.  If that all went away and there was no CFL then 99% of Canadian players at the U level would know it was a dead end with near zero hope of playing pro.  That would probably kill participation, and probably the whole U football program.

This definition would also include recent-ish immigrants to Canada who then played their 4 years in Canadian U, because it promotes and enriches the U football situation.  That would include guys like Muamba.

Secondary to that would be providing a path to the very talented Canadian born & raised U players, who manage to get into big football schools down south, to "come home".  They should qualify as NATs because why would we penalize a player for being good enough to get a full scholarship to a division 1 school??

I think what riles people up is the Woli situation of born & raised in the USA, played only in USA high schools and U, and then suddenly find out a parent holds a Canadian citizenship, and voila that qualifies them as a NAT.  I think Singleton was the same?  The main reason is they had nothing to do with any football program in Canada at all, nor did they spend their youth in Canada.  One would like to see at least one of those conditions met.

However, it is what it is for now, and I'm not going to really complain about it, because for the most part it "works".  And it doesn't hurt that we're the recipients of the benefit or Woli getting to be a NAT.  :D  :D  If the CFL wants to adjust the rule in the future, I'm sure most fans will be happier.  I would hope they rejig it to be more like how I've defined it.

And I'm happy it's worked out for Woli, and that he is proud to be a Winnipegger.  I like all the effort and loyalty he's shown in blue & gold.  He's the type of guy you want around.

Yes - I don't want to say anything bad about Woli - who got his citizenship, lives here year round, and is now a fully fledged Canadian. He's like the dream example of it working out.

But when I was younger, I would hate Ben Cahoon, who always the poster child of "Canadian" all stars. But the joke was that he once ordered Tim Horton's in a lay over at the Toronto Airport and that's how he got his NI status.
My wife is amazing!

VictorRomano

One of the biggest reasons NHL players who aren't from Canada (and many who are) don't want to play in Winnipeg is the limited fanbase size.  Since players get paid a portion of every piece of merch the league sells with their name and number on it, it makes financial sense to big name players to play in a big market where the team might sell tens of thousands of your jerserys (LA/NYC/Chicago/Montreal/Toronto) than a small market (Winnipeg) where they might only sell a few hundred.  The brutal cold weather and lack of things to doin the winter are other reasons often listed by FAs as to why they have little interest in coming here.

theaardvark

Quote from: VictorRomano on January 23, 2024, 07:47:27 PMOne of the biggest reasons NHL players who aren't from Canada (and many who are) don't want to play in Winnipeg is the limited fanbase size.  Since players get paid a portion of every piece of merch the league sells with their name and number on it, it makes financial sense to big name players to play in a big market where the team might sell tens of thousands of your jerserys (LA/NYC/Chicago/Montreal/Toronto) than a small market (Winnipeg) where they might only sell a few hundred.  The brutal cold weather and lack of things to doin the winter are other reasons often listed by FAs as to why they have little interest in coming here.

I'd be curious just how much money players make from merch sales...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

BLUEBOMBER

Pete

Quote from: theaardvark on January 24, 2024, 02:06:37 AMI'd be curious just how much money players make from merch sales...
does Taylor Swift have a sister?