Blue Bombers add quarterback to roster - January 18, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, January 18, 2024, 09:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add quarterback to roster - January 18, 2024

WINNIPEG, MB., January 18, 2024 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American quarterback Eric Barriere.

Barriere
(6-1, 210; Eastern Washington; born: December 27, 1997, in Inglewood, CA) joins the Blue Bombers after an outstanding collegiate career at Eastern Washington and following stints in the USFL with the Michigan Panthers (2022) and in the New Jersey Generals (2023) and after attending mini-camp with the Denver Broncos in 2022.

A dual threat QB, Barriere appeared in 51 games at Eastern Washington, completing 62 percent of his passes for 13,809 yards, 121 touchdowns against 29 interceptions while adding 22 rushing TDs and 1,585 yards along the ground. In 2021 he was the recipient of the Walter Payton Award as the top offensive player in NCAA Division 1 Football Championship Subdivision. He was the runner-up to the same award in 2020.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

LXTSN

Is there a bigger story around Eastern Washington?
Bo Levi Mitchell, Matt Nichols, and Vernon Adams all come from this tiny Div 1 school?
I'll have to watch the film on this guy, but seems like an interesting prospect!

Blue In BC

IDK. A raw talent perhaps that could be the short yardage guy this season. Released by XFL/USFL teams and had little playing time. Didn't get picked up in the dispersal draft for the UFL.

Regardless can never tell how he'll do.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

USFL rostered, but not played. Not a huge ding on him, USFL teams were thrown together, and the QB's that started were often known to the coaches. 

He might have the CFL game in him, though.  That's always the key, how a NCAA trained QB adapts to the waggle, one yard off the ball, the extra DB...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 19, 2024, 05:18:45 PMIDK. A raw talent perhaps that could be the short yardage guy this season. Released by XFL/USFL teams and had little playing time. Didn't get picked up in the dispersal draft for the UFL.

Regardless can never tell how he'll do.

I've seen so many tons of physically talented QB's come from US Colleges and fail in the CFL over the years, that I'll reserve judgement on this guy's highlight film. Physical talent is great, but what's going on between the ears is so much more important in becoming a good QB.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 19, 2024, 07:25:41 PMI've seen so many tons of physically talented QB's from US College come and fail in the CFL over the years that I'll reserve judgement on this guy's film. Physical talent is great, but what's going on between the ears is so much more important in becoming a good QB.

100%.  Until you see how he handles the waggle, all bets are off.  There have been great QB's come north and sputter because of that difference.

On the other hand, there are players like Schoen who are perfect for the CFL, who thrive in the 12 man game but struggle trying to crack the NFL.

Until we some snaps with any new QB, all bets are off...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2024, 08:09:42 PM100%.  Until you see how he handles the waggle, all bets are off. There have been great QB's come north and sputter because of that difference.

On the other hand, there are players like Schoen who are perfect for the CFL, who thrive in the 12 man game but struggle trying to crack the NFL.

Until we some snaps with any new QB, all bets are off...

I have not heard of a single QB or coach who says the reason the QB had problems was because of the waggle...enlighten  me on that...I do agree that until we see a player - especially a QB play in a pre-season game or two it is impossible to predict or judge based on college experience.

theaardvark

Quote from: The Zipp on February 01, 2024, 01:45:17 PMI have not heard of a single QB or coach who says the reason the QB had problems was because of the waggle...enlighten  me on that...I do agree that until we see a player - especially a QB play in a pre-season game or two it is impossible to predict or judge based on college experience.

Reading a defence is the toughest part of QBing.  Defences in the CFL have to react to the waggle in their pre-snap adjustments, and that is a LOT of info for a QB to take in.  Adjusting to those reads, figuring out which Rec has his man beat off the line, there is a lot more information to process.  And the 12th player, one more read. 

Its a totally different game from behind centre in the CFL.  How quick you can learn the new reads and make them second nature.  Once it slows down enough that you can go through all your reads an not just the first few before the pocket collapses, then we can see what a QB has.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on February 01, 2024, 03:49:42 PMReading a defence is the toughest part of QBing.  Defences in the CFL have to react to the waggle in their pre-snap adjustments, and that is a LOT of info for a QB to take in.  Adjusting to those reads, figuring out which Rec has his man beat off the line, there is a lot more information to process.  And the 12th player, one more read. 

Its a totally different game from behind centre in the CFL.  How quick you can learn the new reads and make them second nature.  Once it slows down enough that you can go through all your reads an not just the first few before the pocket collapses, then we can see what a QB has.

The differences in the Canadian game are difficult for many American QB's. Motion, yard off the ball, wider field and 12 men on the field.

He may adjust quickly so we'll see how he does. His athleticism is a good start.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Quote from: theaardvark on February 01, 2024, 03:49:42 PMReading a defence is the toughest part of QBing.  Defences in the CFL have to react to the waggle in their pre-snap adjustments, and that is a LOT of info for a QB to take in.  Adjusting to those reads, figuring out which Rec has his man beat off the line, there is a lot more information to process.  And the 12th player, one more read. 

I think the extra man is a big deal for a QB...still not sold that the Waggle is the biggest deal for them though.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 01, 2024, 04:07:25 PMThe differences in the Canadian game are difficult for many American QB's. Motion, yard off the ball, wider field and 12 men on the field.

He may adjust quickly so we'll see how he does. His athleticism is a good start.

Being able to think on your feet is essential, pre-programmed QB's do not do well in the CFL.

GCn19

Eastern Washington has had immense success supplying the CFL with QBs because their offensive system is about as close to a CFL offensive system as you will find South of the border. Their coach takes particular pride in grooming CFL QBs and really works with them on the opportunity to do so. All of Adams, BLM, Nichols etc have all said that they were very comfortable in the CFL playbooks very early on.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Jesse

Quote from: GCn19 on February 01, 2024, 07:09:00 PMEastern Washington has had immense success supplying the CFL with QBs because their offensive system is about as close to a CFL offensive system as you will find South of the border. Their coach takes particular pride in grooming CFL QBs and really works with them on the opportunity to do so. All of Adams, BLM, Nichols etc have all said that they were very comfortable in the CFL playbooks very early on.

The coach who developed those guys moved on years ago, though.

EDIT: looking into it, their long time OC/OL coach took over the job, so major continuity.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 19, 2024, 07:25:41 PMI've seen so many tons of physically talented QB's come from US Colleges and fail in the CFL over the years, that I'll reserve judgement on this guy's highlight film. Physical talent is great, but what's going on between the ears is so much more important in becoming a good QB.
same....the reason why my favourite Bomber QBs are Kenny Ploen, Tom Clements and Zach Collaros.....
Bomber fan for life

LXTSN

He seems to have a great feel for the pocket.
Quick enough to scramble for first downs.
Really nice touch on the short/medium routes.

Doesn't have the greatest arm strength, but I wouldn't say it's terrible.

Can't wait for preseason and training camp to see some of these guys in action!