Dru Brown traded

Started by theaardvark, January 18, 2024, 07:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waffler

Tecno, you watched every game twice, surely you noticed that either other teams have his roll figured out or he is not quick enough to do it.

At 35 he 100% cannot stand in and take hits all season. Playoffs I would say you got to leave it all out there, that's different. Anyway a big part of his game has always been to buy time and connect after the scramble. He had the receivers here to do it too. Schoen was the best at that but Lawler and Demski were very good also. Possibly we are going to need some playbook changes. Interested to see how stubborn Buck is or if he will adapt.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on January 19, 2024, 09:44:25 PMTecno, you watched every game twice, surely you noticed that either other teams have his roll figured out or he is not quick enough to do it.

At 35 he 100% cannot stand in and take hits all season. Playoffs I would say you got to leave it all out there, that's different. Anyway a big part of his game has always been to buy time and connect after the scramble. He had the receivers here to do it too. Schoen was the best at that but Lawler and Demski were very good also. Possibly we are going to need some playbook changes. Interested to see how stubborn Buck is or if he will adapt.

I'm pretty sure I was the first one to post on the forum mid-season that other teams were purposefully spying Zach in contain.  The better teams were even figuring out that 90% of the time Zach rolls out right, so they really only had to contain one side.

But I wouldn't say "he is not quick enough"... the roll out right trick played off the defenders ignoring contain (or our OL hemming them in).  Sure, he's not quite as quick and nimble as he was (see that final sack in the GC... ugh), but teams were really focusing on keeping him in the pocket.  It was the smart move.

What was not smart is Buck not figuring out a way to take advantage and use that guys-wasted-on-contain against them.  Surely there are some nice plays you can draw up when 1 or 2 extra guys are just sitting on the edges, there is less real pass rush pressure, and some lanes/zones must have opened as a result?  Use their tactic to trick and bait them to get the holes open.  Use the extra time in the pocket to focus on the downfield pass.  Whatever... Buck never got 4D chess on them in this regard.

Wasn't Ray 105 when he played his last game?  ;D  ;D   If ol' Ray can take some pocket hits, so can Zach.  Or if the OL knows Zach won't scramble they can focus more on an air-protection tight pocket.

I'd rather Buck find ways to make them pay for allocating defenders this way.  He really let us down in the GC.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Disappointed we couldn't resign Brown, and getting a 5 th round pick is essentially giving him away but whatever. Time to move on. Ottawa signing rhymes is a great move as well, they ve just propelled themselves past the hopeless Ticats and will be contenders this year. I was hoping the bombers would have signed rhymes as he Lawler Bailey and Demski would have been unreal. Oh well. There's other receivers out there who we can pickup if we can't sign schoen, still hoping we can re sign him

gobombersgo

All of Dru's touchdowns as a Bomber.

theaardvark

Video of all of Dru Browns 2023 INT's

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

BLUEBOMBER

Dru Brown is good but not great enough to turn the Redblacks around.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Lincoln Locomotive

I'm wondering if Desjarlais will stay?   Dru can scramble but it's not his forte' plus he's not very big at 5' 11" and 190 pounds!    If he has protection he can be effective however I'm not sure Ottawa has the horses to keep him upright?   

Based on Zach's comments that he believes Dru can be the best QB in the CFL, he might be able to turn the franchise around but he still needs good horses in front of him to accompany this.....

Bomber fan for life

dd

He'll do well in Ottawa, they've added Rhymes and Addison to their recieving corps...they've make some noise

Blueforlife

Brown has all the tools and will do well.  Will take some lumps but will figure it out.  He has potential to make some nice coin.

J5V

Dru is dead to me and has just become the enemy. The J5V hex is now on him and will remain so until he leaves the CFL. That is all.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on January 26, 2024, 09:21:07 PMDru is dead to me and has just become the enemy. The J5V hex is now on him and will remain so until he leaves the CFL. That is all.

Haha.  Cruel!  He hasn't publicly pooped all over WPG or WFC yet, so I have nothing against him.  I'd love for him to be good enough to stick it to TOR and MTL this season...

You may have to change your tune if he's the next Tom Brady and we re-sign him here as #1 in 2026!!   ;D  ;D
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: J5V on January 26, 2024, 09:21:07 PMDru is dead to me and has just become the enemy. The J5V hex is now on him and will remain so until he leaves the CFL. That is all.

Hex or hexes - whether J5V or not, are prohibited on the forum as specified in Rule 749336482402.3347398 Parts B, D, S, V and Z of the Code of Conduct.  ;D  :-*
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pete

it may be harsh but I too kinda like when guys who leave for other teams find out the grass isn't alway greener. On the flip side it always hurts when they come back to bite us.

dd

Ridiculous comment. Dru brown has done nothing but bide his time waiting for an opportunity to start and now gets it. I wish him nothing but the best and you sir need help and I hope you get it