Winnipeg Football Club Selects FieldTurf for IG Field Turf Replacement in 2024

Started by ModAdmin, January 17, 2024, 09:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Winnipeg Football Club Selects FieldTurf for IG Field Turf Replacement in 2024

WINNIPEG, MB., January 17, 2024 - The Winnipeg Football Club today announces the replacement of the stadium turf for the upcoming 2024 season.

Installing new turf at IG Field is part of the Winnipeg Football Club's commitment to providing the best possible conditions for our football and soccer players. Field Turf Vertex- Core 1 is the highest quality turf system and includes CoolPlay TPE infill, designed to reduce heat build-up in the summer months. The turf will be FIFA Quality Pro certified upon completion. 

"We are thrilled to partner with FieldTurf for this important upgrade to IG Field," said Wade Miller, President and CEO of the Winnipeg Football Club. "This investment is part of our ongoing capital improvement projects to the stadium and will be a great new surface for our players as we prepare to host the 2025 Grey Cup."

The project is underway and is slated for completion in early May, just in time for the 2024 season; to provide ample time for completion, Valour FC matches and Blue Bombers games will be scheduled to begin the last week of May.   

The Winnipeg Football Club wishes to extend its gratitude to all its stakeholders, including fans, partners, and the community, for their continued support as the Club invests in the future of IG Field.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Cool (haha pun).  I wonder if it will look any different from the stands.

I hope it keeps the little black "marbles" that help determine foot placement/contact in replays.

I always wondered... are there rain drains under the fake turf?  Surely there's got to be some big drain & pump system in the dug-out bowl.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Not sure the infill will be black or not. The Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) infill is shown as green in their literature. (I attached pic) At least I believe that is what they are using. When new though LOTS of infill kicks up, takes a couple of year to settle.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

"Crumb rubber" is a disadvantage?  It's great because it often allows more accurate replay challenge decisions.

However, it does have one big disadvantage: face-down sliding players sometimes get it thrown into their eyes which then requires a few missed snaps to flush it out on the sidelines.  I've touched the stuff when out on the field and I would never want that guck getting into my eyes!

I guess the lifespan of these turfs is 10 years?  I don't recall IGF ever replacing it before?  We're right at 10 years now.  Well, I guess 11 inclusive.

Anyone have a guess as to the cost?  $1M?
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 18, 2024, 12:57:27 AM
"Crumb rubber" is a disadvantage?  It's great because it often allows more accurate replay challenge decisions.

However, it does have one big disadvantage: face-down sliding players sometimes get it thrown into their eyes which then requires a few missed snaps to flush it out on the sidelines.  I've touched the stuff when out on the field and I would never want that guck getting into my eyes!

I guess the lifespan of these turfs is 10 years?  I don't recall IGF ever replacing it before?  We're right at 10 years now.  Well, I guess 11 inclusive.

Anyone have a guess as to the cost?  $1M?

I was reading an article recently about those rubber pellets and I think one of the reasons they're getting away from using/manufacturing it is for environmental and health reasons. Turns out that the rubber they use can be full of chemicals which is bad for humans and also the environment as some of the stuff inevitably gets caught it shoes and bags and clothes and then finds its way into water/ground etc. 

theaardvark

Black will obviously no be the infill colour, it heats up.  might it be white?  Make it look like snow?

New turf hopefully means less injuries...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on January 18, 2024, 01:47:37 PMBlack will obviously no be the infill colour, it heats up.  might it be white?  Make it look like snow?

New turf hopefully means less injuries...

As someone who goes down on the turf @IGF every game (it's for my kid(s), ya that's the ticket), I must say it's surprisingly soft and springy.  I always wondered how those guys slam into the ground and not get completely killed...

If anyone hasn't yet gone on the field after a game yet, I highly recommend doing it once.  Now I'm excited to get down on the new turf to see what will have changed!
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 19, 2024, 02:50:02 PMSounds awesome. The players I'm sure love this news.

Upgrading the facilities is another positive in recruiting.  We already had one of the best facilities in football (not just the CFL), and now, new turf?  This could be a deciding factor for some, getting to play half your games on brand new turf vs. some of the patchwork and ancient surfaces out there...

A non $SMS signing advantage, for sure.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 18, 2024, 12:57:27 AMAnyone have a guess as to the cost?  $1M?

WFC is spending approximately $2 million to replace the turf after using the same playing surface since the stadium opened nearly 11 years ago. The asphalt surrounding the field and the goalposts will also be replaced.

Crews started pulling out the old artificial grass right after the CFL's Western Final, and the rest will be taken out when the snow melt.

-Free Press
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on January 22, 2024, 05:34:02 PMWFC is spending approximately $2 million to replace the turf after using the same playing surface since the stadium opened nearly 11 years ago.

Thanks for the new update!  Wow, $2M.  I hope that includes the asphalt do-over!

They should have had some promo where you could donate to WFC to get a 6"x6" chunk of the old turf.  Or a bonus for STH or something.  Oh well, probably too late now.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 23, 2024, 01:03:11 AMThanks for the new update!  Wow, $2M.  I hope that includes the asphalt do-over!

They should have had some promo where you could donate to WFC to get a 6"x6" chunk of the old turf.  Or a bonus for STH or something.  Oh well, probably too late now.

A lot of the old turf is being relocated to the tailgate area. Now we will have fantastic footing while we get our cheap beer before the game and it's going to look cool.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 23, 2024, 01:22:17 PMA lot of the old turf is being relocated to the tailgate area. Now we will have fantastic footing while we get our cheap beer before the game and it's going to look cool.

I heard the Stamps purchased the old turf so they could spruce up McMahon!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 23, 2024, 01:22:17 PMA lot of the old turf is being relocated to the tailgate area. Now we will have fantastic footing while we get our cheap beer before the game and it's going to look cool.

That is actually a good idea.  I'm not sure I'd want to cover all the real grass, but it might make sense closest to the stadium, under the tent and in the kid area.
Never go full Rider!