Blue Bombers add three to roster - January 12, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, January 12, 2024, 03:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add three to roster - January 12, 2024

WINNIPEG, MB., January 12, 2024 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed three players - running back Ronnie Brown and defensive back Anthony Blue, both Americans, and Canadian defensive back Nico McCarthy.

Brown
(5-11, 187, Shepherd University; born: April 12, 2000, in Baltimore, MD.) signed as an undrafted free agent with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last May and was among the team's final cuts in late August after a solid training camp and preseason. Brown was a star in his four seasons at Division II Shepherd, helping the Rams reach back-to-back national semifinals in 2021-22 while rushing for 3,041 yards and finishing with 1,158 receiving yards while scoring 41 touchdowns.

Blue (5-11, 175, Newberry College; born: February 6, 1998, in Newton, S.C.) joins the Blue Bombers after appearing in two games with the New Jersey Generals of the USFL while also helping at his alma mater as a defensive back and special teams coach. Blue was an Associated Press All-American, South Atlantic Conference and Division II All-Southeast Region First Team all-star during his days at Newberry, where he finished with 173 tackles, nine interceptions - including six in 2021 - plus 16 pass breakups in four seasons. He also became just the second player in school history to play in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

McCarthy (6-1, 200, Wilfrid Laurier University; born February 26, 2000 in Scarborough, Ont.) played in 38 games over five seasons with the Golden Hawks, registering 72 tackles, and two interceptions with eight pass break ups and two fumble recoveries. He had 29 tackles and his two picks in 2023, his final year at Laurier and was named an OUA Second Team All-Star at safety in both 2022 and 2023.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Who missed this opportunity -  Blue and Brown join the Blue and Gold...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Brown is a little bigger then McCrae. He has good hands and can catch the ball coming out of the back field. 4.44/40 speed.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

LXTSN

Quote from: Pigskin on January 12, 2024, 06:07:53 PM
Brown is a little bigger then McCrae. He has good hands and can catch the ball coming out of the back field. 4.44/40 speed.
I really like this kid too! But... that 4.44 speed was recorded on a pro-day put on by the school. Often those numbers are a little bloated compared to the combine.

Either way, this kid was close to averaging 10 yards per carry! That's insane no matter what division you are in. He also played both sides of the ball in high school where he played DB.

I think he might be a guy.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on January 12, 2024, 07:08:52 PM
I really like this kid too! But... that 4.44 speed was recorded on a pro-day put on by the school. Often those numbers are a little bloated compared to the combine.

Either way, this kid was close to averaging 10 yards per carry! That's insane no matter what division you are in. He also played both sides of the ball in high school where he played DB.

I think he might be a guy.

He looks fast but don't see him breaking many tackles or pounding for hard yards, he runs well in open space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVwTTBXzw54&ab_channel=BrandenzxlFilms

Choice of music is atrocious, turn the sound down.

Blueforlife

Pete

Lincoln Locomotive

A US RB signing in light of Brady's dreams of NFL fame and fortune?  Just some mild speculation
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 13, 2024, 03:47:52 AM
A US RB signing in light of Brady's dreams of NFL fame and fortune?  Just some mild speculation

There are always some import RBs in camp. Doesn?t mean anything at the moment.
My wife is amazing!

DM83

Prototypical prospects.  Div 2 guys with potential. Stats do not matter, div 2 isn? top guys, but so many find stardom in Canada. Good signings. They have potential.

VictorRomano

Quote from: Jesse on January 13, 2024, 04:33:24 AM
There are always some import RBs in camp. Doesn?t mean anything at the moment.

Yup.  I remember a few years back we brought in Bloi-Dei Dorzon and I thought for sure this guy would go somewhere.  Didn't happen, now he's a TV chef.  Go figure.

Blue In BC

IMO we'll see a few more RB's possibly signed for TC until we know the status of Oliveria and even Augustine for that matter. It may be necessary to switch the ratio at the RB position.

In theory, there are about 400 more XFL or USFL players that are potentially looking towards the CFL for opportunities. Several teams have been signing a few in recent days. Some will also push NFL players off PR lists towards the CFL.

At worst we have to hedge our bets and we do need to look at PR depth as well.

McCrae is a potential free agent and I don't honestly know whether we want or will re-sign him. He's not a bad player but an upgrade should be possible at an ELC salary. Bringing him to TC is not the worst idea but ratio regarding DI's and PR players is always something to consider.

We also don't yet know whether we're able to bring Grant back but IMO he'll be back. That said it's just my opinion and I don't think he'd be an SMS casualty.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 13, 2024, 04:49:23 PM
IMO we'll see a few more RB's possibly signed for TC until we know the status of Oliveria and even Augustine for that matter. It may be necessary to switch the ratio at the RB position.
I would agree. We need to save money somewhere and an import RB will do that.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

DM83

In reflection, using McRae in the Grey Cup, would have helped.
I think with him in the lineup, the key sweep might have threatened the. Defensive splits and opened up the run game more.

What was Zac thinking when he threw the ball up for the Int in the end zone.  Demski was open at ten for an easy first down!  Waaaaagh!