Our Free Agent's Signings Are in Limbo Until Brady & Dalton Make Their Moves

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, January 11, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on January 20, 2024, 04:04:58 AMWe don't usually re-sign our DTs. It's usually been a position we replace on the cheap.

Ya, but we usually have the next IMP guy in the hopper.  We have no one (IMP) remotely ready at the moment.  As Modadmin hinted: this might be the year we finally retain a good one.

Walker's good, but he's an under-the-radar type of guy who probably won't command big $$ in FA, nor get many callers.  So we might be able to retain him somewhat affordably whilst he progresses some more.

I would love to nail him down to a 2Y contract with a slight bump in 2nd; with no guaranteed $ in Y2.  Maybe give him a signing bonus.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 20, 2024, 07:06:43 AMYa, but we usually have the next IMP guy in the hopper.  We have no one (IMP) remotely ready at the moment.  As Modadmin hinted: this might be the year we finally retain a good one.

Walker's good, but he's an under-the-radar type of guy who probably won't command big $$ in FA, nor get many callers.  So we might be able to retain him somewhat affordably whilst he progresses some more.

I would love to nail him down to a 2Y contract with a slight bump in 2nd; with no guaranteed $ in Y2.  Maybe give him a signing bonus.

Miles Fox would be the in-house replacement (not to mention I expect a lot of bodies along the DL at training camp this year).

I'm betting it's still a spot where we need to spend close to the minimum. The trick will be to find the next great DT on a rookie contract.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

I can see Walter's isn't waiting around too much and is starting to sign other FAs while Brady & Dalton test the NFL/CFL waters.   I can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed in Brady as his inaction as far as committing to the Bombers is affecting our roster signings in a negative way.   Yeah, I get it that he's trying to get the best deal he can however the best deal for him was right in Winnipeg sitting right under his nose.  Big Egos have a way of blurring one's vision....
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Not a lot of Bomber fans expected Walker to play as well as he did last season. However, you could see that in limited playing time he could make plays. Fox mite be in the same boat. Fox is 6'1" near 300 lbs. Played a little at the end of the season last year, and recorded 3 DTs and 1 sack. Fox could surprise some people just like Walker did last season. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 20, 2024, 05:16:53 PMI can see Walter's isn't waiting around too much and is starting to sign other FAs while Brady & Dalton test the NFL/CFL waters.   I can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed in Brady as his inaction as far as committing to the Bombers is affecting our roster signings in a negative way.   Yeah, I get it that he's trying to get the best deal he can however the best deal for him was right in Winnipeg sitting right under his nose.  Big Egos have a way of blurring one's vision....
Agree on the ego. But whatever. I honestly think we don't miss a beat with Johnny Augustine at rb. If schoen doesn't re sign, get dom rhymes ultra stud receiver let go by the lions. Lions chose whitehead over rhymes, I just don't get that but whatever, he can't get schoen to sign, sign rhymes and watch the scoreboard light Up!,

Pete

I understand Rhymes is signing with Ottawa, and as far as Whitehead, he's still a free agent. It would be intriguing to have him back in Blue.(at the right price)

Jesse

Quote from: dd on January 20, 2024, 06:24:15 PMAgree on the ego. But whatever. I honestly think we don't miss a beat with Johnny Augustine at rb. If schoen doesn't re sign, get dom rhymes ultra stud receiver let go by the lions. Lions chose whitehead over rhymes, I just don't get that but whatever, he can't get schoen to sign, sign rhymes and watch the scoreboard light Up!,

Johnny is not getting the opportunity to be our starter. Brady was rushing for a 1 yard average for the first half of 2022 and they still didn't let him see the field.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pete on January 20, 2024, 07:27:57 PMI understand Rhymes is signing with Ottawa, and as far as Whitehead, he's still a free agent. It would be intriguing to have him back in Blue.(at the right price)
Pass on Whitehead. Injured far to much and is no longer as effective.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 20, 2024, 05:16:53 PMI can see Walter's isn't waiting around too much and is starting to sign other FAs while Brady & Dalton test the NFL/CFL waters.   I can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed in Brady as his inaction as far as committing to the Bombers is affecting our roster signings in a negative way.   Yeah, I get it that he's trying to get the best deal he can however the best deal for him was right in Winnipeg sitting right under his nose.  Big Egos have a way of blurring one's vision....

We have no idea what Walters has offered BO20, no idea what he's expecting, what other GM's might offer, or even if he has had any interest from the NFL. 

He just came off an MOP worthy record setting season, expecting him to take the only offer on the table when he can wait a few weeks and make a more informed decision is illogical.  Unless Walters offered him his full ask, he will likely get more and better offers, and I can't see him not allowing Walters to match during the tampering period.  As long as no one goes Jones level crazy, I can see him signing before FA starts.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on January 21, 2024, 04:28:29 AMWe have no idea what Walters has offered BO20, no idea what he's expecting, what other GM's might offer, or even if he has had any interest from the NFL. 

He just came off an MOP worthy record setting season, expecting him to take the only offer on the table when he can wait a few weeks and make a more informed decision is illogical.  Unless Walters offered him his full ask, he will likely get more and better offers, and I can't see him not allowing Walters to match during the tampering period.  As long as no one goes Jones level crazy, I can see him signing before FA starts.
Hope you're right
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Seems FA signings by the Bombers has stalled again. Around 25 FAs on our list, and Feb.13th is just around the corner.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

one of the biggest issues we have is that a number of our free agents are top players that were on entry level contracts including
Shoen
Olivera
'Kolankowski
Brown (now in Ottawa)
Houston
when you're a veteran laden team you can't resign them without significant cuts elsewhere. That Shoen, Olivera, Brown are all 27 or younger also hurts. To sign any of them might mean that Hardwick, Jeffcoat, Rose, Briggs, Prukop are history.
I could see us biting the bullet to some extent to find rookie replacements that we can reap the benefits going forward.

Lincoln Locomotive

I'm wondering if either of Olivera and Schoen get an invite to an NFL tryout?    Or will they focus on making a bigger payday with another team?    I really feel their best shot as far as their career's thriving is in the Peg!   
Bomber fan for life

dd

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 24, 2024, 11:44:29 PMI'm wondering if either of Olivera and Schoen get an invite to an NFL tryout?    Or will they focus on making a bigger payday with another team?    I really feel their best shot as far as their career's thriving is in the Peg!   
Hasn't schoen tried the NFL circuit and was cut?? I think BO is totally wasting his time on this, when you look at the sheer number of backs in each teams system, that they've drafted and invested time and money into and he's coming in from a relatively unknown D2 school and had 1 good year in the CFL. I just don't think they'll even bat an eye at him. He's too slow and too small, but whatever, its his career, he can mess it up

ModAdmin

Schoen and Oliveira will be in high demand come CFL free agency assuming that there is no serious interest from the NFL.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden