Our Free Agent's Signings Are in Limbo Until Brady & Dalton Make Their Moves

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, January 11, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

Dream vs. reality.
Big fish in a small pond vs small fry in a big pond.

Child vs adult.

Yes Brady is a hometown hero, as was Andrew.

In the real world, Brady and Schoen are too slow as running backs for the NFL.  Both our guys are big boys who excelled behind a good offensive scheme and fantastic blockers in the run game, vs. extremely small linebackers.  In the NFL the LBs  are bigger stronger faster.  Remember in Canada linebackers are basically converted DBs, who would be strong safeties, or good run supporters in the NFL.  So Andrew and Brady would be facing guys their own size.

In short, the compacted NFL field doesn?t need DB type LBs. They can employ linebackers that can plug the holes between the tackles?.and they do.  While the game is evolving, with a spread type formation, and the need for smaller linebackers who can cover, it ain?t there yet.  Arguably, a situational RB would be an asset.  Maybe that would be Brady?s niche.  But again, a team has to want to have a plugger. And yes some teams do need that.  Maybe that?s where Brady ends up. His career would be I anticipate very limited in the USA, and he would make more money, less pounding.  However, his type of body and speed probably has hundreds of young men available.

Anyway, we know he and Shoen are very good players.  However, unless someone takes a special interest in them, they are lost in the crowd.

In Canada, with the wider field, and the type of players needed to cover the need for guys that can cover and run is paramount.  Look at Holm.

In conclusion, those guys mentioned are great for the wider field in Canada, and would also be good for the NFl situationally. However, there would be a number of younger faster, cheaper guys also available.

In Canada, like Milt Stegall, careers off the field can be built, as well as longevity can be achieved. In the NFL, it?s a couple years.
Certainly, as a pro athlete, there is a need to progress and challenge oneself with the best.  Football is a transient career, so if you are willing to accept the fact that being replaced, could be everyday, then that?s ok.  However human nature and science says that that lack of security, can be unhealthy.  But then again, that?s life.  As a pro athlete, it?s just more emohasized, especially in the NFL.

So good luck to our boys.

theaardvark

Most GM's will know that any players success is dependent on the team around them, and that individual talent aside, they aren't guaranteed the same success from a player that they had here, especially on offence, with our Oline and MOP QB.  Now, the Oline and QB might look better than they are because of the RB and WR, and any WR might look better because of teh other WR and RB taking the heat off them.

They don't pay for players in a vaccuum.  At least they shouldn't.  But we know some will, and that's always a risk in us not breaking the bank for key players.

We seem to have no issues filling holes, however, and our scouts are likely going to have a tougher job than ever finding prospects.  But having them back as a group should mean they can use the pipe they've filled.  And we will see csome of those PR players this spring, and more.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

Yes and the CFL is really isn?t built on career longevity.  So move to a new team, try the NFL.  Go for it!  Whatever happens isn?t the end of the world??except for the fans who buy a team jersey ? lol!

Yeah young men in their twenties, life can be an adventure?just don?t get anyone pregnant.
Free bench a couple weeks away?  Woo hoo

Ridermania

I can see Montreal throwing big money at Dalton to replace Austin Mack.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Ridermania on January 15, 2024, 02:21:55 PM
I can Montreal throwing money at Dalton to replace Austin Mack.

I imagine several teams will be willing to throw money at a top FA like Schoen, similar to what happened with Lawler after the 2021 season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 15, 2024, 03:09:38 PM
I imagine several teams will be willing to throw money at a top FA like Schoen, similar to what happened with Lawler after the 2021 season.

Yup - it?s a top receiver. He will probably have offers from every team.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on January 15, 2024, 03:23:51 PM

He's a top # 2 receiver since he doesn't have that great deep ball speed. He won't get Lawler or Lewis money but he'll certainly get good offers. IMO he tops out at $200K unless some team just goes nuts with their SMS and have extra room.

I also think some higher paid receivers might be asked to take a cut.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on January 15, 2024, 03:23:51 PM

I think most teams will drop out when the bidding gets to $200k+, only a few teams believe top end receivers are worth that much.

Jesse

Gonna disagree with you guys on this one - I think bidding starts at 200k these days.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 15, 2024, 03:55:25 PM
I think most teams will drop out when the bidding gets to $200k+, only a few teams believe top end receivers are worth that much.

As I've said in the past it's a 1st come 1st serve issue as SMS is spent.  Those that wait may find teams interested no longer have that SMS space available. Now Schoen could be signed in the first few hours of free agency. If he holds out for a week, some teams may no longer have that capacity.

Bombers are in a difficult position with so many high cost players including Oliveria. It's been mentioned we may lose one or the other due to SMS issues and high offers elsewhere.

I'll be a bit surprised if either sees any true NFL offers.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on January 15, 2024, 03:58:09 PM
Gonna disagree with you guys on this one - I think bidding starts at 200k these days.

I don't disagree that will be the case with Schoen, but don't see many teams willing to pay his price.  Ottawa is somewhat lacking in high end receivers, could see Schoen tagging along if they sign Brown.  Maybe the new owner in Mtl. wants to replace Austin Mack with another big name, don't see BC, Cgy, Edm. or the Argos being that interested.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on January 15, 2024, 03:58:09 PM

There is also a supply and demand in play here. Only 9 teams and not every team needs a very good receiver. OTOH, there are several good receivers that are potential free agents. The original list by position or potential free agents included 40 receivers. Some of them are top receivers. So which move and require replacements on which teams.

That said, Schoen was less than 50 more yards from being the leading receiver in the CFL. So it could be debated he is a # 1 receiver. However, a team like the Bombers with a balanced attack, top QB and RB create more opportunities for other players. That's not a given with every team.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 15, 2024, 04:07:49 PM
There is also a supply and demand in play here. Only 9 teams and not every team needs a very good receiver. OTOH, there are several good receivers that are potential free agents. The original list by position or potential free agents included 40 receivers. Some of them are top receivers. So which move and require replacements on which teams.

That said, Schoen was less than 50 more yards from being the leading receiver in the CFL. So it could be debated he is a # 1 receiver. However, a team like the Bombers with a balanced attack, top QB and RB create more opportunities for other players. That's not a given with every team.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 15, 2024, 04:06:34 PM
I don't disagree that will be the case with Schoen, but don't see many teams willing to pay his price.  Ottawa is somewhat lacking in high end receivers, could see Schoen tagging along if they sign Brown.  Maybe the new owner in Mtl. wants to replace Austin Mack with another big name, don't see BC, Cgy, Edm. or the Argos being that interested.

In terms of not every team being interested, I think more teams will than wont. Calgary tends not to over spend in FA. Edmonton has Geno, so same position as us with Kenny. As far as I'm concerned, every other team is in serious play.

Schoen's production over the last 2 years dwarfs every other receiver. You can make the argument that it's due to the Bombers balanced attack, but that's immediately countered with, how high is his ceiling when he's featured without sharing the load with Brady, Kenny, Nic, etc?
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Realistically, Schoen is very likely going to be $300,000 or thereabouts. We can fit him if we want - it's just the opportunity cost. I would sign Schoen and release Bighill to make it work but that's just me.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 15, 2024, 05:14:57 PM
Realistically, Schoen is very likely going to be $300,000 or thereabouts. We can fit him if we want - it's just the opportunity cost. I would sign Schoen and release Bighill to make it work but that's just me.
Pretty sure they aren't letting him go as he was having a good season up until his injury.....I believe he has another year on his renegotiated contract from last season.    I was hoping he would retire after winning a Cup.....however that wasn't in the cards.    He'd be good coaching material after he retired....
Bomber fan for life